de Havilland Dash 7 Released
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: de Havilland Dash 7 Released

de Havilland Dash 7 Released

The de Havilland Dash 7 goes Gold. Two packages, FSX Port-over and FS9 Native, containing 3 models, 7 liveries, 4 FM's by 2 authors (FSX and FS9), and custom panels, gauges, and sounds.

Thanks to all of you who participated in the beta testing efforts. Twenty-one issues or suggestions were identified most of which were addressed.

In addition I added VC Rain, correctly implemented condition levers, improved lighting and vc gauge backlighting, yoke textures, floor textures in the cockpit rear area, etc.

There were a few items I did not address due to impact on mapping and textures, or no real effect on performance or operations, or not possible. For example, I could not slow the spoiler rate of extension because the spoilers are alse used as spoilerons. I did not do separate loadouts for the passenger, combi, or empty bay area models. I did not fix the OMI test switch to light the lights.

The FSX package is separate and not useable in FS9. It has 2048 DXT5 primary textures and the panel.cfg is different regarding gauges not compatible there. The FM's were built and tested for FSX.

There is a follow-on bonus package coming with a full cargo unit and the Canadian Ice Recon models. This will likely be released in January. There will also be an additional 5 liveries or so.

The paint kit is not yet available and I do not have a time frame for that yet. Likely in January.

Thanks to Mike Kelly who really pushed this project to a higher level; thanks to Bernt Stolle and Tom Falley for giving us flight models from guys who actually flew the Dash 7's; thanks to Nigel Richards who developed some really great sounds for the Dash 7 from actual Dash 7 recordings, and to Scott Thomas who over time, developed the panels and gauges.
    FS9 version: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...6&linkid=15103
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Hi,

Thank you so much Milton...now you can have a day off for Christmas. And Nigel has been kept out of mischief, which is a GOOD THING, so a 1/2 of lager for him.....at first glance, that looks more like a brown ale!

Please don't think we can be this generous every Christmas though.

Andy.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful airplane Milton, and a great package. Many thanks to the entire team.
    Does the "Open Gate" light mean there is a parking spot available, or that one of
    Nigels cats are loose?

Love it. Gorgeous. A zillion percent improvement over the old model (nice not seeing a hexagonal cross-section to the jetpipes )

I just have one smallish beef with the FS9 panel: I don't seem to have cockpit fuel control over engines 3 and 4. I can shut them off using CTRL+SHIFT+F1, and vice versa, but when I try to move the condition levers in the VC, levers 3 and 4 move along with 1, and 2 moves by itself -- and when in the fuel cutoff position engines #3 and #4 keep running. Also, the overhead ignition switches (the ones that read "Normal/Ignition") are inop (they actually read other things entirely in their tooltips).

Other than that, it's FAB.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallymodeller View Post
    Love it. Gorgeous. A zillion percent improvement over the old model (nice not seeing a hexagonal cross-section to the jetpipes )

I just have one smallish beef with the FS9 panel: I don't seem to have cockpit fuel control over engines 3 and 4. I can shut them off using CTRL+SHIFT+F1, and vice versa, but when I try to move the condition levers in the VC, levers 3 and 4 move along with 1, and 2 moves by itself -- and when in the fuel cutoff position engines #3 and #4 keep running. Also, the overhead ignition switches (the ones that read "Normal/Ignition") are inop (they actually read other things entirely in their tooltips).

Other than that, it's FAB.
    The condition levers 1 and 2 were setup apparently for the KA350 in the xml.makemdl for the gmax export. There is a general non-engine specific tag in makemdl that supports the engine 3,4 levers it looks like. That is apparently why 1,3,4 move together but 1 and 2 are separately controlled. The only fix for this is to modify the xml.makemdl.parts file to add the engine 3 and 4 support and re-export the models. I will attempt this but I make no promises.

I have no problem with shutdown when I pull my levers back on the yoke. How are you doing this? Yoke, mouse?

The 4 overhead ignition switches are not used. Use the single Ignition Switch on the Engine Start Panel. Funny I never noticed those tool tips as I thought the switches were dummies.

My apologies for these shortcomings. I added the condition levers and liked their operation much better but did not notice these issues.

EDIT: Okay after some serious arm wrestling with xml and the makemdl.parts file, I finally have added the missing engines 3 and 4 animation tags, changed a model and have that working correctly. I am now in the process of changing the other 4 models and testing them. And of course, gmax is acting up as usual to keep me from exporting so I am jumping through hoops to problem solve, and make other changes to get the export to work.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

There was alot of research work and detail that went into this latest version of the Dash-7. Given that... the effort put forth to get the visuals and behaviour of this model to correctly reflect the true flight characteristics of the real -7, as close as possible was extensive. So to every member of Milton's team... pat yourselves on the back and have a round of 's... The end result is IMHO... Outstanging. Over time, the few liittle glitches will be worked out... just like they would in the real plane, but for now... the -7 does a very convincing job of keeping my eyes glued to the panel, making sure of where things need to be. Very Well Done, Chaps!

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Not wanting to spoil the party for this release, I am having a problem.
    I can select the Dash 7, but it doesn't load.
    Seems to be some kind of gauge trouble, as it works fine without the panel folder.
    Tried a second download with the same issue.
    Is there an easy fix?

Regards, Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    The condition levers 1 and 2 were setup apparently for the KA350 in the xml.makemdl for the gmax export. There is a general non-engine specific tag in makemdl that supports the engine 3,4 levers it looks like. That is apparently why 1,3,4 move together but 1 and 2 are separately controlled. The only fix for this is to modify the xml.makemdl.parts file to add the engine 3 and 4 support and re-export the models. I will attempt this but I make no promises.

I have no problem with shutdown when I pull my levers back on the yoke. How are you doing this? Yoke, mouse?

The 4 overhead ignition switches are not used. Use the single Ignition Switch on the Engine Start Panel. Funny I never noticed those tool tips as I thought the switches were dummies.

My apologies for these shortcomings. I added the condition levers and liked their operation much better but did not notice these issues.
    I have a Saitek X52 -- I'm using the mouse in VC to drag the handles back. I have switches set up for advancing and retarding mixture, which seem to work for the condition handles, but they still won't shut off. I'll keep messing around with it; maybe I'm missing something. And for heaven's sake, don't apologize. For one thing, as a Canadian that's my job, and for another I know how much work goes into these and you can't account for every ham-fisted simpilot.

It does fly gorgeously. Your Seven has always been one of my fave planes in FS9.

Never flew the Dash 7 before. I just completed my second flight in adverse weather condtions and had absolutely no problems. Very enjoyable.

Thanks Milton and Team for another nice addition.
    :ernae:
    --WH

I have a Saitek X52 -- I'm using the mouse in VC to drag the handles back. I have switches set up for advancing and retarding mixture, which seem to work for the condition handles, but they still won't shut off. I'll keep messing around with it; maybe I'm missing something. And for heaven's sake, don't apologize. For one thing, as a Canadian that's my job, and for another I know how much work goes into these and you can't account for every ham-fisted simpilot.

It does fly gorgeously. Your Seven has always been one of my fave planes in FS9.
    Thank you. Just got up from an afternoon nap but will get on the xml.makemdl.parts changes and get that tested. Hopefully that will resolve it. Thanks for understanding.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by stuartcox View Post
    Not wanting to spoil the party for this release, I am having a problem.
    I can select the Dash 7, but it doesn't load.
    Seems to be some kind of gauge trouble, as it works fine without the panel folder.
    Tried a second download with the same issue.
    Is there an easy fix?

Regards, Stuart
    FS9? FSX?

EDIT: If FSX, in the panel.cfg, try removing window [window10] section.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Never flew the Dash 7 before. I just completed my second flight in adverse weather condtions and had absolutely no problems. Very enjoyable.

Thanks Milton and Team for another nice addition.
    --WH

Try a night flight too to check out the vc lighting. I left it a bit bright as I know people do not fly night flights typically in a dark room.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Try a night flight too to check out the vc lighting. I left it a bit bright as I know people do not fly night flights typically in a dark room.
    You came to the right place, then. I love to fly in a dark room.

Both the VC and 2D are well lit. The VC being brighter than the 2D. The only lighting issue was the popup for the radio - it was real tricky setting the ADI without the tool tips as I couldn't see the setting buttons.

Attachment 77685 Attachment 77686 Attachment 77687

The only other note made was on the "Idle Gate Open" light on the panel. During flight the light was on in the VC, but off in the 2D. After landing it was on in both panels. Since I rotate between views it was noticable to me, but that's just me.

Attachment 77688 Attachment 77689

My landing and taxi at Boeing field were uneventful.

Again, thanks for your hard work.
    --WH

I have to agree. I hate everything black without hi-lights, same with a lot of modern day electronics. Very hard for old eyes to see.

That VC gate open texture is just too bright. It looks to be on but its not (I don't think). Ignore it or darken it on the texture.

It's really just eye candy anyhow.

EDIT: YOu must really have your monitor brightness turned up. Your VC is a lot brighter than mine.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

EDIT: YOu must really have your monitor brightness turned up. Your VC is a lot brighter than mine.
    Yep. Forgot that I had it set high. Both the monitor and my eyes are getting old. LOL
    --WH

See my edit from my first response. The makemdl.parts file was in fact the issue. I have added the missing code, gotten one model exported and tested and it is working fine now. Working through the rest of the models and will post updates here and update the original archives when done.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Dash 7 Model Updates

Posting this attachment so that you do not have to re-download the whole package to get these small updates.

This fix corrects two condition levers so that engine 3 and 4 levers can be individually adjusted.

I will update the archives and edit the text narrative to indicate the update.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks Milton and team!

I enjoyed flying in the Dash 7 in the 80s around the Rocky Mountains and now I'll get to enjoy it again.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Thank you for the comments everyone.

I have updated the archives with the model fixes for the condition levers, and indicated as such in the updated narrative.

To determine if you have these updates, simply grab condition lever 1, 3 or 4 and move it. If more than one move, you can download the model updates in the above post #18.

The cause of this issue was the makemdl.parts file which comes with FS9 Gmax did not support more than 2 condition levers for turbo props. These were apparently set up for the KA350. Although the 4 levers would move with a yoke or throttle quad, you could not individually "mouse" them to move individually. I added xml code to the makemdl.parts file to support four TP engines.

I apologize for any inconvenience. These changes were done after the beta test so the testers were not exposed to this issue.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

thanks for the model updates, nacelles look great and as mentioned above, the exhaust stacks are impressive..!!
    very cool..!!

rgds
    t creed

Quote Originally Posted by t.creed View Post
    thanks for the model updates, nacelles look great and as mentioned above, the exhaust stacks are impressive..!!
    very cool..!!

rgds
    t creed
    Thank you; the team put a lot of work into this one and I hope the release goes quietly from here. :-)

There will be a full cargo and Ice Recon release in January to fully flesh out the package, along with the paint kit. I am happy we could get this out for the holidays. It's been a long time coming.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks for the prompt update, sir! I shall shortly be terrorizing my circa-1957 Flight Sim environment with turboprop STOL goodness!

Tastatur

Welche Tasten öffnen die Türen?

Frohe Weihnachten und ein gutes neues Jahr

Quote Originally Posted by filbzl View Post
    Welche Tasten öffnen die Türen?

Frohe Weihnachten und ein gutes neues Jahr

Which keys to open the doors?

Merry Christmas and a happy new year

The standard key to open the door, shift+e.

Thanks

Sie können die Beifahrer Tür öffnen, mit Shift + e.

Vielen Dank
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 4