de Havilland Dash 7 Released - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: de Havilland Dash 7 Released

That should probably be SHIFT+E and SHIFT+E 2 for the doors. Standard key assignment in FS for the doors.

Cheers
    Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny9850 View Post
    That should probably be SHIFT+E and SHIFT+E 2 for the doors. Standard key assignment in FS for the doors.

Cheers
    Stefan
    Thanks, I changed my errant entry
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Some nice Dash 7 STOL videos along the side bar as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezjfU...eature=related
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Outstanding Mr. Shupe, and team. Thank you very much. It's going into the TVA paint hangar now. Now to find the spray gun.
    Cheers,
    Tenpin

Quote Originally Posted by Timber View Post
    Outstanding Mr. Shupe, and team. Thank you very much. It's going into the TVA paint hangar now. Now to find the spray gun.
    Great! Hope it works out for you. Now a flight into Stehekin State is in order.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

OUTSTANDING!!! Thanks Milton! :ernae:
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Thanks much, Milton.

And Merry Christmas to you all the team!
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Some nice Dash 7 STOL videos along the side bar as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezjfU...eature=related
    WOW!!That video is unbelievable. The slow flight shot makes the Dash7 look like it's barely moving, and those landings!! :isadizzy:Thanks for that, Milton.

Happy Holidays!

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

I want the paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaintkiiiiiiii iiiiiit!

Can't fly this bird unless I've got some AWI, RMA, COAX colors on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    I want the paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaintkiiiiiiii iiiiiit!

Can't fly this bird unless I've got some AWI, RMA, COAX colors on it.
    LOL Well, I'm certain Mike Kelly will get that out as soon as he can after the holidays. He still has 5 liveries in progress to get out along with the Canadian Ice Recon and cargo units. Hope you can enjoy it what we could get out in teh meantime ... and just get those brushes prepared. Ther are over 100 paints out there RW that are possible so lots of possibilities.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Most of you know that I usually do not stray too far from my triple tailed beauties, but Milton has created such a nice Diesel burner here that I find myself trying to see just how short a runway I can get the -7 into without cracking any ribs.
    I had to send the link to the STOL demo video to my hangar landlord who flies a very nice PA-18 and always teases that he can land and stop in the distance it takes my Saratoga to get lined up with the runway. Not much of an exaggeration by the way. Given the difference in weight the -7 is really showing off big time.

Cheers
    Stefan

Most of you know that I usually do not stray too far from my triple tailed beauties, but Milton has created such a nice Diesel burner here that I find myself trying to see just how short a runway I can get the -7 into without cracking any ribs.
    I had to send the link to the STOL demo video to my hangar landlord who flies a very nice PA-18 and always teases that he can land and stop in the distance it takes my Saratoga to get lined up with the runway. Not much of an exaggeration by the way. Given the difference in weight the -7 is really showing off big time.

Cheers
    Stefan
    LOL Given a 30% fuel load and a little headwind, you may be really surprised.

Remember to be a full flaps with the spoilers in Flight mode, and touchdown at about 72kias, ready to hit F2 and the brakes. :-)

For those who may not know, the Flight mode spoilers when at full flaps upon touchdown on those short or icy runways, automatically deploy the spoilers (to create drag and kill some lift), automatically retract flaps to 25 to further reduce lift and increase braking abilities, to give you the shortest possible stops when using reverse props and brakes.

Note that you rarely need flaps 45 except in these very short, wet or icy runway conditions.

EDIT: and by the way, if you haven't stopped in less than 800', you need to keep practicing. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Two Dash 7 Challenges

Here are two quick flights to test your Dash 7 familiarity and stopping skills.

Castlegar, BC (CYCG) to Nelson (CZNL).
    With fuel at less than 50%, takeoff north rw, turn right and follow river for about 10 minutes to Nelson.
    Dogleg right then dogleg left to land. No more than 3000' in flight; just follow the river.
    Hint: reduce speeds with gear and flaps 25, then slow to 78 on on base, deploy flaps 45 (ensure spoilers in flight mode), slow to 72 and maintain until touchdown.

I blew this one (uncommon for me) with a late touchdown, off the end of runway.

RW 75' X 3100'. Difficulty = medium

Hope (CYHE) to Tipella (CBB7)

Same setup, 15 minute flight.
    Takeoff eastward, turn north and follow river.
    Tipella is at the north end of the river.
    Dogleg left then right to land.

Runway is 55' X 1700'

I blew this one with a late touchdown used 3/4 of RW versus less than half last week in testing.

Difficulty = medium

Reminder, if you use manually activated spoilers to drop altitude, it automatically throws the Spoiler Flight mode to Taxi mode. Flip it back to Flight mode.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Come on Milton, 3000' is a piece of cake. I'll put a lightly loaded L-749 in there provided there is a usable approach corridor
    Now Tipella looks a might tougher...I'll try that one when I have reached SAWH or Ushuaia....on the way to test the -7 on the Ice Runways of Antarctica.

Cheers
    Stefan

Come on Milton, 3000' is a piece of cake. I'll put a lightly loaded L-749 in there provided there is a usable approach corridor
    Now Tipella looks a might tougher...I'll try that one when I have reached SAWH or Ushuaia....on the way to test the -7 on the Ice Runways of Antarctica.

Cheers
    Stefan
    Okay, talk is cheap ... bring on the video :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

It's too bad FS doesn't punish you for landing with the parking brakes set! ;)
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I have never made a video recording...but I always run the BlackBox recorder for the VA I belong to...it gives landing details such as vertical speed and final speed on touchdown. I'll see if I can find one...if not I'll make a quick flight

No need for such measures Tom...just plain old flying the bird a tad bit behind the power curve and hanging on her 4 R-3350s. But book values for normal operations in the L-049 show that at light weights ( I think I stipulated that ) much less than 3000ft is required.

For example @ SL a ground roll of 985ft or total landing distance of 2280ft over the FAA 50' obstacle are possible.
    At 5000ft the ground roll is 1140ft but over the 50' tree we still end up with 2580ft.
    Power on landings @ 87 Kts ....

And the L-049 did not even have reversible 13' props yet to help slow her down.

Cheers
    Stefan

Well I just took the L-749 from Castlegar to Nelson. Crew weight 600 lbs and 150 gal in each of the 6 tanks....plenty for the flight plus VFR reserves.

http://www.vanisleva.com/fsp_detail....stflight=14008 or if that doesn't work go to the main page and in the pirep list find the flight and click on details. Depending on browser you may need to click on the Test Version 2 button in the new window to see the flight map.

A couple of snap shots here: http://www.mediafire.com/?7du3y16jz96jk

The basic numbers are

1 - Take Off
    CYCG: 12:58:55
    2 - Landing
    CZNL 13:07:43
    Landing speed 80 kts
    Vertical Speed -190 fpm
    Pitch 4.4

And no Tom I still did not set the parking brake before landing.... actually quite insulted someone would think I would stoop to those levels.

Stefan

Great! But the challenge was for the Dash 7. :-) How did this become about the 749. I do not doubt the either aircraft's abilities. I was hoping to get folks to try their Dash 7 piloting skills and a fun challenge.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Okay, talk is cheap ... bring on the video :-)
    I'll do it properly in the -7 tomorrow after work. But after being accused of doing it with brakes locked in the L-749 I wanted to set the record straight

Stefan

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll do it properly in the -7 tomorrow after work. But after being accused of doing it with brakes locked in the L-749 I wanted to set the record straight

Stefan
    Now THAT'S something I'm looking forward to!

Like yourself Stefan, I wish I could do the video bit.

Could some kind soul here point us in a good freeware direction?????
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Stephan - I certainly didn't mean any insult, I was just kidding around. I'm sure you know the limits of brakes in the real world, but I suspect most virtual pilots don't realize that when they squeeze that trigger on their controller, the braking force hits 100% in about a second or two. In the real world, that would blow out the thermal plugs and leave them sitting on smoking mains in the middle of the runway. I've actually taken a Posky 747F with minimal fuel and full cargo and landed it on Meigs' runway. Yes, I did use the parking brake on that one, so I'd hate to think of what real brakes would have been like after that one!

And I found this - somewhat related...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV4tgjSPgks
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I have a question about repaints. Do the old model Dash7 repaints work on the new model ?
    T Square

The Load Toad

WEAPONS
    LOADER CREED
    We, the unwilling
    Led by the unknowing,
    Are doing the impossible,
    For the ungrateful.

Blog Entries
    Thought I would jump in on this one. I had flown the previous version of the Dash 7 quite a few times into Courcheval, so I knew the flight charictaristics. I took up Miltons challenge on this one after downloading the port over....great work...again.

Following Milton's specs. On my first approach I was unfamiliar with the area and came in very low over the town. I bled off energy on short final and hit the numbers dead on. Only used half the runway. Of course it was just a lucky fluke. Following this attempt I did an approach more appropriate to the terrain. With a steep approach I had to hold the nose down with full forward pressure at 72, flared at the threshold then floated like a leaf like for what seemed an eternity...LOL. Touched down mid runway, but still stopped with room to spare with no reverse. Third approach I was still floating as the end or the runway disappeared under the nose...applied power and went around.

It took me about six total flights to get the approaches right. I think this aircraft could probably be flown to the gate and landed by the baggage truck with the doors open with bears...er I mean beers for all.
    Love this one Milton. Thanks
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

In the real life videos I've watched of the Dash7 landing at low airspeed, with the flaps deployed, the nose is seen pointing down and the plane seems to "float" as it gets close to the runway. Using Milton's numbers for a short landing after a steep approach reproduces this "floating", with the nose angle pointed downward in the Dash7 model very accurately IMO.

It took me a while to get used to this too, being so used to piston powered planes and having to keep the nose up on a less steep approach. But once you've mastered the landing techniques, and learn the numbers.... you begin to look for those short airfields that require those "hairy steep" approaches. Aspen, Colorado has (had?) one such airstrip. It was in a valley surrounded by mountains and you literally had to "drop like a rock" after comming off those higher altitudes to stick the landing. Probably a good one for the Dash7, can't remember if it's in FS9's realm of scenery tho, but if it is... have a go with it.

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Members who have read this thread: 5