Very odd DDS file behavior...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very odd DDS file behavior...

Very odd DDS file behavior...

Here's a strange one:

If I modify a dds texture file, FSX will not display it again. Just show up black. For example:

1. Save dds to bitmap.
    2. Open bitmap in Photoshop (or PSP, doesn't matter)
    3. Modify bmp
    4. Save bmp back to dds DXT5 (using DXTBmp or ImageTool, doesn't matter)
    5. Replace dds file in texture folder.

FSX will not show the new texture. It comes up all black in FSX. But it gets better. If I load the model in ModelConverterX, the new texture does show up just fine.

This does not happen when modifying bmp files, as in FS9 or ported over FS9 planes in FSX. Just dds files.

I have a pristine, virgin installation of FSX on a different computer, so I tried modifying a dds on that computer to see what would happen. If I go through the five steps above on the virgin installation, I have no problems. The new texture shows up fine in FS. However, if I copy the texture file I modified on the other computer, to the computer with the pristine installation, it shows up black in the virgin FSX! Something is “happening” to dds files on that computer.

One other thing. I fired up FSX and selected a plane with a paint that I made months ago, with dds files. It loads up and displays the dds files ok. So whatever is happening to dds files has not affected files made previously.

Very strange. Anyone ever see such a thing?

- Paul

P.S. If I modify the dds file on the "pristine" computer, then copy it to the "broke" computer, it displays ok! Not sure what to make of that.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

is the .bmp still in the same texture folder as the .dds?

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Here's a strange one......
    This might be an apples to orange comparison, but you might find something helpful in the following......

1. Save dds to bitmap. (I open dds, invert image and alpha channel, and save to tga)
    2. Open bitmap in Photoshop (or PSP, doesn't matter) (I open the tga in photoshop and save it as a layered PSD file)
    3. Modify bmp (I modify the layered PSD)
    4. Save bmp back to dds DXT5 (I save the layered PSD back to a tga file)
    4a. I open the tga, invert the image and alpha channel, and save to DDS.

Tommy

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    is the .bmp still in the same texture folder as the .dds?
    No. I have a "work" folder into which all the psd and bmps live. So only the dds files, thumbnail image, and texture.cfg file are in the texture folder.

- Paul
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by tommieboy View Post
    This might be an apples to orange comparison, but you might find something helpful in the following......

1. Save dds to bitmap. (I open dds, invert image and alpha channel, and save to tga)
    2. Open bitmap in Photoshop (or PSP, doesn't matter) (I open the tga in photoshop and save it as a layered PSD file)
    3. Modify bmp (I modify the layered PSD)
    4. Save bmp back to dds DXT5 (I save the layered PSD back to a tga file)
    4a. I open the tga, invert the image and alpha channel, and save to DDS.

Tommy

Rgr that. I'm doing basically the same, more or less. My "step 3" actually consists of saving the bmp that came out of DXTBmp as a PSD, flipping it, etc., then saving it back as a bmp.

- Paul
    HP Reverb G2

No. I have a "work" folder into which all the psd and bmps live. So only the dds files, thumbnail image, and texture.cfg file are in the texture folder.

- Paul
    ok, that happens to me when the 2 formats are in the same folder, hmmmm well if if the palne is coming up black, its loading the folder ok, not the textures

ok heres something that may sound odd, but have you got save mip maps ticked

ok, that happens to me when the 2 formats are in the same folder, hmmmm well if if the palne is coming up black, its loading the folder ok, not the textures

ok heres something that may sound odd, but have you got save mip maps ticked
    Well, this is interesting. I hadn't been saving them with the "use mips" checkbox checked, because I don't like the effect. But, I just tried saving the file with mips selected, and that texture shows in FSX! Now why would that be the case? I never use mips, and all the other paints I made work fine without mips. Until today anyway!

- Paul
    HP Reverb G2

Well, this is interesting. I hadn't been saving them with the "use mips" checkbox checked, because I don't like the effect. But, I just tried saving the file with mips selected, and that texture shows in FSX! Now why would that be the case? I never use mips, and all the other paints I made work fine without mips. Until today anyway!

- Paul
    to be honest it just happened out of the blue for me as well, i never used it and one day they went black, took me hours swearing at the screen to work that out, i have no idea why but it worked, ive always been against using mip maps in fsx for paints but less than 12mths ago i had to tick the box,

I use photoshop now to convert my files to dds, i dont have tick yes to mip maps thank god

to be honest it just happened out of the blue for me as well, i never used it and one day they went black, took me hours swearing at the screen to work that out, i have no idea why but it worked, ive always been against using mip maps in fsx for paints but less than 12mths ago i had to tick the box,

I use photoshop now to convert my files to dds, i dont have tick yes to mip maps thank god
    Most interesting. Thanks jeansy! I'll get that dds plugin for Photoshop then.

- Paul
    HP Reverb G2

Most interesting. Thanks jeansy! I'll get that dds plugin for Photoshop then.

- Paul
    It has more benifits using photoshop, i found that large pixels ie (4096x) and even some very fine detailed 2048x files got down scaled and txt and fine detail became blurry in the dds, with photoshop they come out crystal clear

after a while trust me, you will look back and say why didnt i do this sooner

Where can we get this DDS Photoshop plug-in?

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

Just installed the DDS NVIDIA plugin for PH. Works beautifully. Why haven't I done this before? Thanks jeansy! :salute:

- Paul
    HP Reverb G2

Tommy
    I got mine here:

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-...dobe-photoshop

But it's the NVIDIA site. My video card is NVIDIA, so you might have to Google for your card. Not sure, as I'm new to this too.

- Paul
    HP Reverb G2

Tommy

for paintshop users sorry im yet to find something similar, i wish i could as i prefer paintshop

OK....I got that one......

At what point do you flip (invert) the image / alpha channel when you bring the DDS into Photoshop to read upright? Like wise, how do you invert the image / alpha channel back when saving back to DDS via the Photoshop Plug-in? I'm using Photoshop CS4.

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

When you select "save as...", and select "DDS", you get a dialog with many options, among them is a check box labeled "Save Flipped Vertically". If you check that, it will automatically flip it. I haven't tried opening a dds file directly, since up to now I've been working with a paint kit, which starts out as a Photoshop file. I'm guessing if you openeda dds directly, you'd flip it manually, save it to PSD, modify it, then save it as above.

- Paul
    HP Reverb G2

Bonjour Paul,

Sorry to barge in on your exchange but the above happened to me a few days ago...

I had been using DXTBMP with the "save mipmaps ticked" (DXT5) and had to live with some blurries on certain angles. I decided to untick the save mipmaps and all my textures then started to appear black !

I finally solved my problem by downloading the latest version of DXTBMP with the necessary dll and bingo ! No more blurries and no more black skins...
    I'm wondering if the original DXTBMP had gone bad after my reinstall of all my programs to a new pc (Windows 7 at 64 bits) this Summer...

You might want to try that route, just in case...

Good luck,

Fleurdelys

Quote Originally Posted by fleurdelys View Post
    Bonjour Paul,

Sorry to barge in on your exchange but the above happened to me a few days ago...

I had been using DXTBMP with the "save mipmaps ticked" (DXT5) and had to live with some blurries on certain angles. I decided to untick the save mipmaps and all my textures then started to appear black !

I finally solved my problem by downloading the latest version of DXTBMP with the necessary dll and bingo ! No more blurries and no more black skins...
    I'm wondering if the original DXTBMP had gone bad after my reinstall of all my programs to a new pc (Windows 7 at 64 bits) this Summer...

You might want to try that route, just in case...

Good luck,

Fleurdelys
    Ahh, thanks Fleurdelys, good info. I hadn't even considred downloading the lastest version of DXTBmp. I did try re-installing it, but I installed the same version. I will go find the new one. Interesting that seems to happening to several of us all of a sudden. I wonder if a recent Windows update might have done this?

- Paul
    HP Reverb G2

I wonder if a recent Windows update might have done this?
    Actually that is a very good conjecture. There have been reports that the Win update dated 12/12 did all sorts of things to fonts and graphics. This has been rectified since (I think - because some of my fonts went missing and now are back). So might be an interesting experiment to see if the original fault persists.

I have been trying to get Martin Wright's site for the last 3 days with no luck, has he moved somewhere ??

Rich

Just tried it and it just says "This page is no longer available". I hope Martin does open a new website as some of his tools are invaluable
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

No problem here at this point in time w/ all links active:

http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Just tried it and it just says "This page is no longer available". I hope Martin does open a new website as some of his tools are invaluable

Bonjour Paul,

Just went there and it is open...

Try this address : http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/

I would't be at all surprised about a Microsoft update going bad on some of our dll's...

Don't forget to also download the latest DLL so that DXTBMP will work correctly.

Best of luck !

Fleurdelys

for paintshop users sorry im yet to find something similar, i wish i could as i prefer paintshop
    The photoshop plugin works with Paintshop Pro too. I've used it with v8.1 and PSP X.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Paul, I wish I could replicate your problem but as of yet have not been successful. The latest version of DXTBMP appears to be 4.096. As Fleurdelys mentions, be sure to get the latest dll's. I just reinstalled all the current files and dll's to see if I could create your same situation but so far no luck.

I have Windows 7 64bit. Wonder if it could be a graphics card setting?
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD