de Havilland Mosquito B.IV released - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: de Havilland Mosquito B.IV released

Time to reinstall FSX and get me a Mosquito.

Kev

Hey guys.

This is a little repaint im working on and i just wanted to check your interest in it. I really think the Rescue scheme suits the mossie. Imagine a search light, an IR sight and maybe a weather radar on this little racer. I have an intention to repaint the 500lb bomb so it would look like an rescue capsule casing an life raft. So you could drop it to the ones who are in need of beeing rescued.

I have no idea of what registration to put on there, so suggestions are welcomed.
    Also as you can see I have left the wings dirty and the fuselage clean and personally I like it a bit dirty , but what do you guys think.. Clean or dirty textures for the mossie?

And some screens
    have a nice day!

Attachment 78050Attachment 78052Attachment 78054
    Attachment 78051Attachment 78053Attachment 78055

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikezola View Post
    Here's what I have- I wish they were color:

Attachment 77847Attachment 77848Attachment 77849Attachment 77850Attachment 77851Attachment 77852Attachment 77853

I still don't remember where I found these- perhaps I'll snoop around the air racing sites to see what I can find...

-Mike Z.
    I am working on these at the moment and was wondering if anyone knew what was written on the nose of the blue and the white aircraft. Also what that little emblem is behind the #81 on the fuselage. All help appreciated.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
    Hey guys.

This is a little repaint im working on and i just wanted to check your interest in it. I really think the Rescue scheme suits the mossie. Imagine a search light, an IR sight and maybe a weather radar on this little racer. I have an intention to repaint the 500lb bomb so it would look like an rescue capsule casing an life raft. So you could drop it to the ones who are in need of beeing rescued.

I have no idea of what registration to put on there, so suggestions are welcomed.
    Also as you can see I have left the wings dirty and the fuselage clean and personally I like it a bit dirty , but what do you guys think.. Clean or dirty textures for the mossie?

And some screens
    have a nice day!

Attachment 78050Attachment 78052Attachment 78054
    Attachment 78051Attachment 78053Attachment 78055

Bonjour Shaggy,

I like your project !

Since you asked for suggestions, here goes :
    - The matt texturing was good for war time planes but you should look into giving it some (lots of it) reflectity overall. This is done through the specular files on which you should apply a whitewash overall...

and don't forget the spinners which should be even more reflective...

- With added reflectivity, dust, dirt and grime would not have been able to stick so much to the fuselage and wings; you may keep the exhaust stain but go easy on the weathering as this was a plane which received good service from its crew and mechanics and would not have been left dirty such as in wartime where they didn't have the time to do some cleaning...

- what period did you have in mind ? From 1946 to 1965, it would seem that they had another roundel (see attachment) and probably also used the Red Enseign on the tail instead of the canadian flag such as seen nowadays...
    Remember that the George cross on the Red enseign must always face forward... (see attachment).

- the yellow that you use appears to be on the light side; I seem to remember that canadian planes (in yellow and red) had a darker hue of yellow (see pic and find some more on the net to make up your mind...).

Hope that this will get you going. Looking forward to the finished product !

Fleurdelys

Quote Originally Posted by fleurdelys View Post
    - what period did you have in mind ? From 1946 to 1965, it would seem that they had another roundel (see attachment) and probably also used the Red Enseign on the tail instead of the canadian flag such as seen nowadays...
    The 'Maple Leaf' Canadian flag was introduced in February 1965. Prior to that they used the Union Jack or the Red Ensign.
    Larry

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    I am working on these at the moment and was wondering if anyone knew what was written on the nose of the blue and the white aircraft. Also what that little emblem is behind the #81 on the fuselage. All help appreciated.
    Hello Pat-

The script on the nose of N37878 is 'Wooden Wonder'- on N66313 it's 'Miss Marta'...

The logo on the fuselage behind the number is the old Kendall Motor Oil emblem...

Attachment 78170
    -Mike Z.

The man in the last pic is Donald E. Bussart, the owner of N3787 in 1949, and the pic was taken at Berry Field, Nashville in august 1949, where they prepared his aircraft for the 1949 Bendix Air Race.
    The middle pic shows N37878 at the start of the race.
    I have a few pics of it later in its career with Mark Hurd Aerial Survey as well if you're interested.
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by mikezola View Post
    Hello Pat-

The script on the nose of N37878 is 'Wooden Wonder'- on N66313 it's 'Miss Marta'...

The logo on the fuselage behind the number is the old Kendall Motor Oil emblem...

Attachment 78170
    -Mike Z.
    Thanks Mike. Not going to promise that I can match the script perfectly but I will try.

Thanks for those nice clear photos also JK.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by fleurdelys View Post
    Bonjour Shaggy,

I like your project !

Since you asked for suggestions, here goes :
    - The matt texturing was good for war time planes but you should look into giving it some (lots of it) reflectity overall. This is done through the specular files on which you should apply a whitewash overall...

and don't forget the spinners which should be even more reflective...

- With added reflectivity, dust, dirt and grime would not have been able to stick so much to the fuselage and wings; you may keep the exhaust stain but go easy on the weathering as this was a plane which received good service from its crew and mechanics and would not have been left dirty such as in wartime where they didn't have the time to do some cleaning...

Remember that the George cross on the Red enseign must always face forward... (see attachment).

- the yellow that you use appears to be on the light side; I seem to remember that canadian planes (in yellow and red) had a darker hue of yellow (see pic and find some more on the net to make up your mind...).

Hope that this will get you going. Looking forward to the finished product !

Fleurdelys

Hi buddy!
    Thx for the input. Here you can se the changes i have made so far. Color, emblems and the spec maps for more glossyness. Though if i recall correctly the mossie was made out of wood and canvas? So im not totaly sure abuot the "metal" look.

More to come soon.
    Attachment 78175Attachment 78176

Not going to promise that I can match the script perfectly but I will try.
    why don't you use the image itself? perfect match!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Just anxious to see Mike's work on the racer liveries...

Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
    Hi buddy!
    Thx for the input. Here you can se the changes i have made so far. Color, emblems and the spec maps for more glossyness. Though if i recall correctly the mossie was made out of wood and canvas? So im not totaly sure abuot the "metal" look.

More to come soon.
    Attachment 78175Attachment 78176
    Bonjour Shaggy,

Your yellow paint seems to be spot on !

In reference to the reflectivity, it is true that this being the "wooden wonder" the main part of the plane would have been of wood and canvas which would not reflect per se as a metal aircraft would. During wartime, they wanted it to look matt and had no problem doing so. The story changes for postwar aircrafts where a glossy type of paint or lacquer would have been more appropriate for such an aircraft. The reason for getting planes glossy is to save on gas as a glossy plane flies better and faster than a matt one. So, you may go ahead with the reflectivity. As for the metal parts, there were some or this plane would not have made it through the war...

For a short list of the metal parts which can be seen, you have the exhaust covers and heat plate shield (not modeled) behind it, the canopy which was made of plexiglass and metal, all the small access covers on the wings and fuselage...
    You don't really have to worry about the metal parts as you have applied reflectivity to the whole plane, whereas if you were working with a matt finish, you might want to lett a little reflectivity through specifically where metal parts are located.

Your project will really look nice when finished...

Best wishes for the New Year !

Fleurdelys

I have spent much of the past week working on 4 repaints. I haven't completed them as yet because I have been trying to get some alpha channels to work on the metal bits like the engine nacells, ailerons and flaps. I can get the shine but unfortunately it also puts shine on the wooden parts as well.

To me it appears that any shine is built into the model file. Anyway for the time being that part of any repaints is going to be consigned to the too hard basket. I will try to complete two of the repaints and get them uploaded in the next couple of days.

Cheers
    Pat

I can't get the red one to look the way I like either (yet), but a while ago, we talked about Hazelhoff Roelfzema and his Q for Queenie...

some artistic license here, the serial belongs to a B.IV that flew with 139 Sqn until relatively late in the war, but I have no idea if it was Q for Queenie....could have been though?

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    why don't you use the image itself? perfect match!
    Had thought about that Jan but the photos are B&W which makes it rather difficult

Cheers
    Pat

I thought you were referring to the Kendall image.
    As for the text on the nose, blow the image up and redraw based on that? That's what I usually do with noseart texts.

Here is one repaint I am doing that has slipped past everyone. This is the prototype Mosquito one of 4 that I am working on.

I am not happy with some of the paint work and will be doing some clean up tonight and hopefully upload it tomorrow.

Cheers
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    I thought you were referring to the Kendall image.
    As for the text on the nose, blow the image up and redraw based on that? That's what I usually do with noseart texts.
    The Kendall one is perfect to copy. And I will try your method. Something new to learn.

Cheers
    Pat

Can someone tell me where the aerial post is located in the paintkik please.

Cheers
    Pat

Blog Entries
    Can someone tell me where the aerial post is located in the paintkik please.
    The aerial post is in the fuse file, upper left hand corner under the tire. It took me a while to find it too...it's small and pretty easy to miss.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Thanks mate.

EDIT:
    Found it. Was in the camo layer which I had turned off as it was not necessary for my finished paint. Now know to leave the camo layer turned on until I finish the paint.

Cheers
    Pat

Just uploaded the re[aint of the prototype Mossie. There are 2 versions. One is a clean version as it would have looked just after being rolled out of the factory and another version that would have seen it after several test flights.

Cheers
    Pat

Any update on the liveries for 'Wooden Wonder', and 'Miss Marta' ??

Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Members who have read this thread: 5