de Havilland Mosquito B.IV released - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: de Havilland Mosquito B.IV released

Ok I'm missing a step someplace. I made new textures based on the paint kit (using Photoshop CS4). They're 2048 x 2048. I convert them to dds with ImageTool. I can look at the new paint by loading the model and new livery in ModelConverterX, it loads fine. In the game, however, the textures do not show. I look at my dds files and they are 12,289 KB, which is three times the size of the original 4,097, although they are both 2048 x 2048 pixels in size. I know I skipped a step someplace, but can't see it. Not enough cofee? Thanks in advance!

- Paul
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

These repaints are GREAT guys. I'm really, REALLY grateful to all the folk who do the paints. For some reason it's something i've never been able to master:-(

By the way.... These are all a little errrr.... clean? Any chance of the odd dirty or worn one coming along?

with thanks from a grateful (non painting) simmer;-)
    If you know the avatar, you know the man!
    M/B: Asus Z170 Deluxe - CPU: i7 6700k - RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200mhz - Vid: Asus GTX970
    Windows 10 (x64) on M.2 SSD - FS Software on: Sata SSD

Quote Originally Posted by dougal95 View Post
    These repaints are GREAT guys. I'm really, REALLY grateful to all the folk who do the paints. For some reason it's something i've never been able to master:-(

By the way.... These are all a little errrr.... clean? Any chance of the odd dirty or worn one coming along?

with thanks from a grateful (non painting) simmer;-)

Noted and planned, but first things first...

Paul, open them in DXTbmp and save as DXT5 DDS?

Meanwhile, here's an early B IV:

Dave, I'm looking forward to all those versions!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Paul, open them in DXTbmp and save as DXT5 DDS? ...
    Thanks Jan. Using DXTBmp to save to DXT5 DDS did result in the correct size files (4097 KB), but they still wont show up in the game. And they still display fine when the model is loaded into ModelConverterX. Very odd. I've never had this issue before. Should be pretty straight forward. Tried importing an alpha, but the originals don't have them anyway. I compared every possible file attribute between mine and some others from the default paints and they are, as far as I can tell, identical. Copied known good texture files into my texture folder, and they show up ok, so it's not an aircraft.cfg screw up. When I figure this out I'll post what I learned!

- Paul
    HP Reverb G2

Here's a pic of 105 off to work - CBF in the foreground, JF beyond.

I like the early scheme, and from the screenshots the camo looks more effective.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Paul, if it doesn't show up, but the files are right, then it should be an aircraft.cfg problem. I often have the name of the texture folder and the link in the .cfg not the same. Other possibilities, number in [fltsim.X] is not consecutive, or the 'title =' line is the same as a previous one. It is always something simple like that.
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Fleurdelys, I'm no expert, but the details of the stencils are period correct to the WWII-era (i.e. not modern), and are of the similar type to those seen on other RAF aircraft of the period. Note all of the W/T ("Wired Throughout") stencils which were very common to find on all RAF types, typically applied on fabric-covered surfaces (of which much of the Mosqiuto is). A little bit about that here (as well as a look at the similar stencils seen on Peter Teichman's authentically restored Hurricane): http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=339844

No matter the aircraft type, Mosquito included, you'll find these located usually one on the fuselage (always starboard side only), one on the vertical stabilizer and one on the rudder (always starboard side only), one on each elevator and one on each horizontal stabilizer (always on the bottom), and one on each aileron, one on each flap, and usually just one on each wing (all always on the bottom).

You might be able to find a guide online that shows the layout of these stencils, such as for plastic model builders. (One of the cool things I enjoy about having access to factory blue prints for a few different WWII U.S. types, is that there are drawings/blueprints which just show each stencil design and location on the airframe, all laid out.) Although I don't have the information to post here, without searching for it, all of those letters and numbers in the stencils do mean something. : )
    To John and all of you Mossie lovers,

I've been busy trying to give this gorgeous warbird some weathering and stencils to dress it up a bit...

The difficulty with lettering is to first of all find fonts which are close to the original and I managed to find a freeware font which fits it to a "T" (or very close to it).

For those of you interested, look up "Phantom Stencils" in the usual places and you will be in business...

I followed John Terrel's mini tutorial and took reference from the pics of the Mosquito for guidance and this is the result !

Before I publish this skin, would the experts look at the accompanying pics and let me know if it is OK or if I went overboard with my efforts... :isadizzy:

True to my usual self, I increased the weathering a bit just to make it so they are used for war and not just for air shows...

I would like to give those interested a copy of my stencils but I'm afraid that the program that I'm using is not usual (Arcsoft photostudio) and although I can open PSD files with it, I cannot recompile into PSD afterwards...
    If anyone has a program which can open my "psf" type of file and recompile into "psd" later, please let me know and I will forward the stencils...

Cheers and thanks again Dave for your masterpiece,

Fleurdelys

Hi,

As promised a screenshot of the JF Mk XVI PRU, still work in progress. Just started to place the stencils.

I just wonder, would the wartime aircraft have all these stencils or is it just a representation of the rebuilt New Zealand mossie?

Attachment 77652

Paul

fleurdelys, looks great with all those stencils!
    I've been going over my mossie pics, but in most I can not see all that many stencils, so I have no idea what it was like in the war. But there aren't that many hi-res pics of mossies anyway I'm finding, so...
    I would be interested in a file with your stencils, not sure what I can use to open it, but I can always try. If not, make a white jpg or something with them, and I'll copy them myself?

Meanwhile, here's something for the French:

Great JK .... one special model getting the attention from the master ! :salute:

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post
    Great paints Jan Kees. Nice to see the paintkit getting used.

FYI, there will be a Highball version in the next pack to be released. (no dates yet).
    Now that will the interesting one .. Dave I already have a story line going through me brain case for that one

PS: love the Christmas Banner
    ... I keep breaking things .... id better get outta here

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Thanks Jan. Using DXTBmp to save to DXT5 DDS did result in the correct size files (4097 KB), but they still wont show up in the game. And they still display fine when the model is loaded into ModelConverterX. Very odd. I've never had this issue before. Should be pretty straight forward. Tried importing an alpha, but the originals don't have them anyway. I compared every possible file attribute between mine and some others from the default paints and they are, as far as I can tell, identical. Copied known good texture files into my texture folder, and they show up ok, so it's not an aircraft.cfg screw up. When I figure this out I'll post what I learned!

- Paul
    Hi Paul,
    They're not saved as 24 bit by any chance?
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Hi Paul,
    They're not saved as 24 bit by any chance?
    Hi Roger,

All textures are made in paintshop multi-layered and saved as psd. Then I load the psd file in DXTBmp and flip them. After that they are saved as DDS888-8 32 bit. This gives an 100% match to the original psd with no
    losses. You can of course also flip all psd layers in paintshop.

Paul

Bonjour Jankees,

I doubt that you can open this "psf" type of file without the program itself. I'll post a copy of the stencil file that I created but I doubt that you can use them as such as it is quite small... (550 x 550 px square) which is necessary if you want to use the stencils without having to reduce them again...

PM me your address and I'll send you the "psf" file !

Cheers,

Fleurdelys

Paul: and if you save them as DXT5 dds?

Thanks, Fleurdelys!

Quote Originally Posted by ftl818 View Post
    Hi Roger,

All textures are made in paintshop multi-layered and saved as psd. Then I load the psd file in DXTBmp and flip them. After that they are saved as DDS888-8 32 bit. This gives an 100% match to the original psd with no
    losses. You can of course also flip all psd layers in paintshop.

Paul
    Paul try saving your PSD file as a bmp then flip vertical. Put this file in DXTBMP and save as DXT5 dds.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Paul: and if you save them as DXT5 dds? ...
    Sure did. In fact I tried all the "flavors" of dds with the same results. I started a new thread on this since it's become clear this isn't confined to this new beautiful Mosquito. This issue affects any dds file I try to modify, for any plane. But I'm not seeing this on my other computer, with a fresh FSX install. Strange.

- Paul
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    Paul try saving your PSD file as a bmp then flip vertical. Put this file in DXTBMP and save as DXT5 dds.
    Hi Tom. Tried that too. Same results. I was flipping them in DXTBmp, or letting ImageTool do it automatically, but then tried flipping it first in Photoshop.

- Paul
    HP Reverb G2

Here's the one I'm working on. Don McVicar, after a career in WW-II as an RAF Ferry Command pilot, started World Wide Aviation, and also bought a Mosquito, which he intended to enter in the air racing circuit. It didn't quite work out, but this is what the ship looked like, best I can tell so far. I wish I had more photos of the plane, and I'd really like to know what the lettering is on the nose, left side. In the mean time, a WIP...

- Paul
    HP Reverb G2

Sweet looking machine there, Paul!
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Thanks John! Still have to work out the curvy bits around the nose...

- Paul
    HP Reverb G2

It's been a long wait for a native FSX Mossie...

Thanks a lot for this gem!

Thanks Dave for a wonderful aeroplane...

I've made three videos of the Mosquito:-

Mosquito_in_Russell_Fjord-HD...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6JaROx61aw

Mosquito Circuit-HD...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPx_auAcKO8

More Mosquito-HD...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XToPrOk-f0E

They are all HD so are best viewed with the Quality clicked up to 1080p and the Full Screen icon at bottom right corner clicked.

The first runs for 12 minutes, the second for 4 minutes and the third and probably the best for 8.5 minutes.

The last is probably the best if you only want to watch one

Thanks Paul!

Now I have to go shake the cobwebs off my FSX install. There are few aircraft that would bring me to this, but I think Paul knew the result.

Don McVicar and my dad knew each other and I grew up 5 minutes from the WorldWide hangar so I was a bit of a fixture as a kid in the 50's and 60's. I know I've seen a better picture of the left side, but it may have been on the wall in the hangar (not much help now...)

For those who are interested in learning more:

http://www.donmcvicar.com/
    http://www.warbirdregistry.org/mossi...ie-n37878.html

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Hey Rob! I knew it wouldn't be too long until you spotted this one! Those books you pointed me to were so much fun to read. What an amazing man.

- Paul
    HP Reverb G2

Members who have read this thread: 4