Gamespy is Kaput
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gamespy is Kaput

Gamespy is Kaput

Anyone using Gamespy already knows that the FSX server has been down for the past week, well all they pulled the plug on ALL their servers but very quietly. Not really a big loss as it was the Zone Jr but it is gone and at the moment the only ways to fly online are FS Host or direct connect/hamachi. FSX Miramar has a couple of servers up and running through direct connect and the IP's are posted on the sites News page for member info. I will update this with the IP's as soon as I get permission from the respective operators but I'm sure that info will be shared and all are welcome there.
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

Never liked them anyway ..... There are plenty of other and BETTER ways for FSX multiplayer
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Is there a way to fly MP without jitters between the players?

thats the one thing gamespy was good for compared to FSHost

Quote Originally Posted by jetstreamsky View Post
    Is there a way to fly MP without jitters between the players?

thats the one thing gamespy was good for compared to FSHost
    probaly not unless someone builds a MP that is made better then FSHoast
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FS Open is one option, just go to the server page and copy the IP in the server you want to join in the direct connect menu. Site addy is here

http://www.fsopen.co.uk/

There is always a way to connect IF you know how and are kept informed.

While I agree with the sentiment that Gamespy is more trouble than it was worth, think about this.....

With no access to those servers the casual flyer that does not know about a bigger FS world and the younger players that were not allowed to join forums or download sites won't know where to find the servers they felt at home or safe on. Without access to those servers they will lose interest and without new players where and how will the community get new flyers in the long run?
    AO1 USN Retired

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance

Quote Originally Posted by strikehawk View Post
    .......While I agree with the sentiment that Gamespy is more trouble than it was worth, think about this.....
    With no access to those servers the casual flyer that does not know about a bigger FS world and the younger players that were not allowed to join forums or download sites won't know where to find the servers they felt at home or safe on. Without access to those servers they will lose interest and without new players where and how will the community get new flyers in the long run?
    Yea, kids will be kids and for the most part the ones I ran into either on Gamespy or FSHost, see Flightsim as a "first Person Shooter" game, nothing more. They haven't reached a level of maturity that allows for understanding common sense and respect for others. I agree though that for the casual flyer and young flyers who really do enjoy the art of flying, the selection of where to fly just got a bit smaller. I would have to wonder though, as long as FSHost has been around. . .if they've never heard of it or don't know where to go. . .where have they been? Even casually "googling" multiplayer servers they'd have come across it and others at some point.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Well, its Nos Vemos for Gamespy. It has now gone officially buh-bye!

http://www.fsxbeyondgamespy.com/news.html
    "If three-holers are gas guzzlers, why are there four-holers now???"
    "But what do i know? I'm just the 800 pound guerrilla in the room."

Fire! Fire! Your pants better not be on fire....

I took a look at the website "Beyond Gamespy" and found that there is a pay-for-use ATC server. . .I have never heard of it......."Pilot Edge". The CEO of that California based company had an interesting take on another "free-service" server that I know a lot of us have tried and many probably still use:
    . . . .VATSIM is actually very good if your flight sim experience includes flying airliners on long-haul routes between large international airports,” he said. But the VATSIM community includes a lot of gamers, and doesn’t really cater to the needs of general aviation pilots making shorter VFR and IFR trips. . . . .

Very true. . .Pilot Edge might be something worth looking into for all of us who are GA pilots. . . .just a thought! :salute:

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I took a look at the website "Beyond Gamespy" and found that there is a pay-for-use ATC server. . .I have never heard of it......."Pilot Edge". The CEO of that California based company had an interesting take on another "free-service" server that I know a lot of us have tried and many probably still use:
    . . . .VATSIM is actually very good if your flight sim experience includes flying airliners on long-haul routes between large international airports,” he said. But the VATSIM community includes a lot of gamers, and doesn’t really cater to the needs of general aviation pilots making shorter VFR and IFR trips. . . . .

Very true. . .Pilot Edge might be something worth looking into for all of us who are GA pilots. . . .just a thought! :salute:
    just not sure i would wana pay to go play multi player though..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And that there is the real problem: people want everything for free nowadays, and that amidst an ever-increasing financial crisis that is hitting small companies hardest ! And guess what the size of average FSX-related company is !?

Gamespy obviously was NOT making money with it and unlike most of 'us' they are not in it for the passion... just for the Big Bucks.

The GOOD news is - at least that's how I see it - that there are more and more places on the internet about Flight Simulator. Be that news sites, forums, blogs, screenie sites..... so overall I think there is more written on the subject today than ever before. NOT all in English, mind you, but who cares? I DO think that MS's leave was a big dent in getting civilian simming across to new people, but there are still many ways to attract fresh blood and instill some consciousness about what aviation - and simming - really is.

Maybe I am just an optimist :-)
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

I'd never tried Gamespy anyway. FSHost has worked perfectly for my buddies and I apart from the way FSX renders the multiplayers aircraft as jetstreamsky describes 'the jitters'...

However, we prefer to use peer to peer FSX multiplayer mostly with one of us hosting a multiplayer session. It's smooth as silk, with the added bonus of being able to share aircraft. The only big trade off is a lack of any AI traffic.

There's a nice clever little prog. called Multiplayer Carriers that can add the Nimitz Carrier to a peer to peer session - http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=7005.0

What if there were an addon like the above prog. that could 'inject' AI traffic into each players session - now that would be something!

Dave. :salute:

My only real complaint about Gamespy was the lack of control over a server you have. Having been an admin for FSTG from 04 until it shut it's doors I can say that enforcement of the owners rules would make a difference. I'm not saying kick everyone but your buddies out but dumping the one guy that is blocking others from entering the server and tossing out the kiddies when they start zooming and booming made for a peaceful session. Maybe I'm getting mean in my old age but I dislike the kids that don't listen or learn. Hopefully with FS Open FSX will have the chaos that was Gamespy reigned in and we don't lose too many promising new pilots due to inability to connect with friends.
    AO1 USN Retired

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance

BTW, I was reading a post about this in another forum and the poster was told to complain to MS, he did and was told to use Flight instead.
    AO1 USN Retired

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJames170 View Post
    just not sure i would wana pay to go play multi player though..
    Jeez, kids today!!

When I began flying online back in 1992. on the first massively-multiplayer flight sim Air Warrior, we were paying $6/hour to fly. $12/hour during 'prime time'. This was on the
    old GEnie network.

A couple of years later Air Warrior mi9grated to the CRIS and Delphi networks where
    we only paid $3/hour! Later still, it went 'live' on AOL at something like $14.95/month.

I still have a subscription to Aces High, a 'follow on' to AW started by former AW pilot
    Dale 'Hi-Tech' Addink.

FSX MP for free has spoiled the user-base

Paul

USS Dewey DLG-14, ET"C" School Treasure Island-Instructor, OASU/VX-8 Aircrewman

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Torkington View Post

However, we prefer to use peer to peer FSX multiplayer mostly with one of us hosting a multiplayer session. It's smooth as silk, with the added bonus of being able to share aircraft. The only big trade off is a lack of any AI traffic.....................

Dave. :salute:
    How exactly do you do a peer to peer session?

Go here and follow the instructions on the video, it's better than trying to type it out again

http://www.fsopen.co.uk/

Note that in some sessions TS is used instead of or to supplement the in game comms, if a TS server is listed in the session info please use it as TS or another VOIP server is better than the radios. As a member of flight clubs server I can tell you it is frustrating to have someone fly next to you and not communicate any intention at all. I use the session known as "Pops" so if you see MFC_03/Gunner come on comms and say hi. The members don't bite and we like to fly with folks who want to do a flight, not T&G's in Puget Sound.
    AO1 USN Retired

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance

Blog Entries
    I see the FS Blue Angels keep their public server there. Thats a pretty impressive group of fellows.. Is the quality pof flight really that good or do you get glitches like fs host when planes near each other??

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    I see the FS Blue Angels keep their public server there. Thats a pretty impressive group of fellows.. Is the quality pof flight really that good or do you get glitches like fs host when planes near each other??
    I nor Warhawk have not seen any glitches in MP, the beauty of FS Open is that you can configure it to kick someone who:

A] Broadcasts on all channels

B] Tries to use Capt Sim's Weapon for FSX

C] Loads a plane that has too high a frame rate hit.

Miramar Flight Club runs two servers, one public open to all and the second members only. As I said we also run TS3 for our primary comms as the in game radio's are misused by the kiddies but we need the radios to for administrative purposes.
    AO1 USN Retired

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance

Here's a nice step by step tutorial http://janvaane.org/virtualfsx/archives/123

If you need a walk through I'd be glad to on TS3 or similar.

Regards, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Torkington View Post
    Here's a nice step by step tutorial http://janvaane.org/virtualfsx/archives/123

If you need a walk through I'd be glad to on TS3 or similar.

Regards, Dave.
    Thanks Dave, I'll check it out tonight

Strikehawk, thanks for that link, I'll give that a go sometime, but I'm looking for a direct exclusive connection method rather than a connected environment for now.

In Gamespy aircraft are substituted if you don't have them, does this apply to fsopen and fshost?
    Roshane"Python" Samarasekara

Who said Kiwis can't fly?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    i5 3570K @ 4.6ghz | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | G.Skill 16GB Ares | EVGA Nvidia GTX 660 SC | Coolermaster X6 Heatsink | Corsair C70 Case | Seasonic 620W PSU

With FSHost, FSX has the option to select a player and change his/her aircraft to anything you have in your inventory. I'm not familiar with FSOpen, so I can't comment.:salute:

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    With FSHost, FSX has the option to select a player and change his/her aircraft to anything you have in your inventory. I'm not familiar with FSOpen, so I can't comment.:salute:

So, if someone is flying an aircraft that I dont have, FSX substitutes the aircraft with an aircraft that i have in my hangar?
    Roshane"Python" Samarasekara

Who said Kiwis can't fly?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    i5 3570K @ 4.6ghz | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | G.Skill 16GB Ares | EVGA Nvidia GTX 660 SC | Coolermaster X6 Heatsink | Corsair C70 Case | Seasonic 620W PSU

How many here know that SOH has a flight server?
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Python231 View Post
    So, if someone is flying an aircraft that I dont have, FSX substitutes the aircraft with an aircraft that i have in my hangar?
    Correct, you must select that players name on the right side of the chat box, right click it, select "change players aircraft" and it will give you a menu of all your airplanes. You select what you want that player to be flying and the sim changes the aircraft.

Current System Specs: