Mission Builder Question/Problem

Thread: Mission Builder Question/Problem

Mission Builder Question/Problem

Hi guys,

My problem is this: when using mission builder, most of the functions work just fine, with the exception of placing ships, vehicles, or infrastructure. When I click on the top row icon to do those three things, the cursor changes to the appropriate place ship, vehicle, or infrastructure icon, but the column on the left side of the screen does not change to reflect a pull-down menu for those types of objects. It stays on the aircraft pull-down menu. Also, I cannot click on the map with the mouse to place any object except an aircraft. :isadizzy: I can set waypoints, etc, but no matter how long I wait, can only place aircraft. I have, through MK's utility, kept planes under 90 or so, and used Martin Wright's Shipman prog to remove all ships except stock. Anyone else seen this, or have a solution?

I have resorted to separate installations for MB, moving planes and ships in and out as neded to build a particular mission, but that is a cluster, and kind of a clunky way to do it. I appreciate any feedback and/or ideas on what the rest of you do (or don't do) to get the most out of MB. Thank you!
    Best Regards,
    Ghostrider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!
    Hiya GR!

Well, young fella, it sounds like you have a real mystery on your hands, huh? ;^)

When was the last time, if ever, that MB functioned normally? Or has this always been going on?

Also, what version of windows are you running? Have you swapped out or upgraded your video drivers recently?

Just for giggles you might try running the windows compatibility wizard to see if running cfs2 in an older windows mode clears up the problem. Right click on either your CFS2 or MB program icon and then "properties" then click on the "compatibility" tab. Choose an older version of windows and see what happens. It will only affect CFS2 and you can turn it off.

That's about all I have to offer- for what it is worth.

Cheers,
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Reply...

Ghostrider,

I'd love to help, but I have never heard of this problem before. I spent the last hour trying to replicate it, but with no results. :isadizzy:
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

It could be caused by a database corruption in one of your index files. I would try removing all addon aircraft and ships to temp locations, deleting all the index files and allowing the sim to rebuild them on the next boot. These are the index files, located in the main CFS2 directory:

AIRWAY_INDEX
    ICAO_INDEX
    INDEX_FILE
    LAT_INDEX
    STR_INDEX
    WAYPOINT_INDEX
    ppath.log

Boot the sim, let it rebuild the databases, then exit the sim and boot into MB to experiment with the stock items until you're satisfied. Hope this helps.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Thanks a bunch, fellas -

It's a veritable "Who's Who" of CFS2 gurus! So I don't feel so bad now. I have been troubleshooting compatibility modes and video settings, running in 640x480, tried all Windows versions back to 95, and it's all the same. Everything works great, except those three buttons don't make the change on the left side of the screen they should, and they won't allow a mouse click. Wierdest darn thing. I have suspected that as Bearcat suggests, something is corrupted. Thanks, BC for telling me the suspect files. I will rebuild those, and see what happens. Probably do it first on a sacrificial install on another drive first.

I appreciate all of your help and suggestions very much!
    Best Regards,
    Ghostrider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hmmm....

here's an idea....how and from where are you installing the program. If its off a CD could it be dirty or damaged, if copy and pasting, is that copy knackered?

regards Collin:ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by Collin View Post
    Hmmm....

here's an idea....how and from where are you installing the program. If its off a CD could it be dirty or damaged, if copy and pasting, is that copy knackered?

regards Collin:ernae:
    Copies - probably so. I have another install on a different physical drive where MB is working, and I am just creating missions there and saving them to the primary install for now. thanks a lot guys!
    Best Regards,
    Ghostrider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

C'mon, Maskrider, one more post to have 1000!
    Best Regards,
    Ghostrider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

:-|

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    C'mon, Maskrider, one more post to have 1000!
    I am sorry GR, but due to bandwidth constraint considerations, I can not, in good conscience, allow myself to engage in gratuitous or frivolous postings. :-|

MR ;^)
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    I am sorry GR, but due to bandwidth constraint considerations, I can not, in good conscience, allow myself to engage in gratuitous or frivolous postings. :-|

MR ;^)
    hahahaha

C:ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post

MR ;^)
    Hahaha! Nice one, MR!
    Best Regards,
    Ghostrider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 2