Should we open or close Thanksgiving Day
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should we open or close Thanksgiving Day

Retired SOH Administrator

Question Should we open or close Thanksgiving Day

Where does it stop. If you can remember retailers use to be closed on Sunday and all holidays. Then they fought over that Blue law and started opening on Sundays. Then came just about all of the holiday except for the biggest ones which are Thanksgiving and Christmas. But now here is where the greed starts to come in. Opening Thanksgiving evening. Toy-R-Us started this crap and now you guessed it, Walmart Target, Kmart, Sears ect..ect..follow the pack. Now we have only one Holiday left that is closed. I wonder how long it will take before the retailers open for Christmas and pull families apart.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

I work at Barnes & Noble and we will be closed on Thanksgiving - all day.

Charter Member 2011
    Moe, the answer is easy. Don't visit the stores on the holidays is all. They will get the message. This "black Friday" thing has gotten way out of hand in my opinion....

Quote Originally Posted by yank51 View Post
    Moe, the answer is easy. Don't visit the stores on the holidays is all. They will get the message. This "black Friday" thing has gotten way out of hand in my opinion....
    +10!
    Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Absolutely!

I don't shop on "black Friday", at least not until after 10 AM Friday. I well remember when the blue laws were in effect and we all seemed to do well. I also remember the excitement of lining up to see Santa on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Stores and malls opened at 9 AM, a full hour before they normally opened. It was great and retail employees still got to spend Thanksgiving day with their families. This "black Friday" mess is simply driven by greed, at least that's my opinion.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Unless we were privy to the bottom line at a given store I would be hard pressed to call it greed, it may be necessary.

Terry has a big point often overlooked....it's called "Black Friday" after all, because that's when most retailers actually move into the "Black" financially.

They've operated in the "Red" on their balance sheets all year. Most retailers desperately need to pull those margins and when you're talking margins that close every single day is significant.

Also, while many of us would rather not see retailers open on Thanksgiving there are plenty of folks who will jump at the chance to shop that day.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

It must be a real kick in the teeth for the employees of these stores to come in to work on this day of family and friends gathering to give thanks. I feel for them. Yes,....a certain sacredness seems to be slipping away in this country of ours.
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

This "black Friday" thing has gotten way out of hand in my opinion....
    You bet it has I would like to see them do away with Black Friday sales competely or start them earlier in the week, don't put everything on sale at once stagger it.

That way they could reduce the mayhem.

BTW Publics shopping centers are all closed Thanksgiving. http://www.publix.com/

As I remember back in 1985 the grocery store I worked for was open Thanksgiving day until noon. We only had a skeleton crew to man the store. It worked out well.

I am all for closing down the whole holiday but that's just my opinion.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Members +
    Like every thing else,the ultimate responsibility for these questions are the people...The majority of them want this....and those who can provide it will!...I 'or we may like it,or not like it,but thats how it is...All federal holidays,traditional holidays are now engaged in business as usual...What does that tell us?..the adherence,and respect to tradition,our myths,and hero's. has been waning...Minimize them you minimize a nation.......Meanwhile those who celebrate THANKS GIVEN, with family will do so!...and those who do not? will not!...Such is the face of a Changing USA! In any case HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!

Shopping on Thanksgiving day?
    Or the day after? No way!
    My wife and I host Thanksgiving dinner for our family and have several relatives who either won't or can't come to our house so after two days of cooking,packing,delivering,cleaning up,playing referee and suffing the fridge we are worn out the last thing on our minds is a trip to the store.
    Any store.

i have to say...in years past,there were many times my family were thankfull for the local 7-11 on both thanksgiving and christmas day,,because some food item was allways missing and was desperatly needed...but as far as needing to buy a new HDTV on thanksgiving?....i could wait a few days...

Closed.
    And no opening at midnight.
    6am earliest.

I really miss the days when the after Thanksgiving Day sales were semi-pleasant events to go to.
    Now you risk being knifed/shot/trampled to death.
    I just don't bother anymore.

I'm sure we'll hear about a violent incident again this year. :isadizzy:

Friends arrive here from Asia, can't believe how early we roll up the sidewalks. Visit Hong Kong, Singaphore, Beijing....those towns thunder twenty four hours a day.

It's Capitalism isn't it?

Hours of operation legislated by any government is an antiquated process. Let the operators decide what hours will generate a profit and allow that they pursue it.

Now...a government's place is certainly to ensure that employees have rights, and those right are respected, and that becomes part of the equation as to whether a retailor can operate 24/7 and generate a profit.

If they can, you and I get convenient retail access, governments get (theoretical) tax generation 24/7.

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    Now you risk being knifed/shot/trampled to death.
    I just don't bother anymore.
    This is why I hole myself up in the house for the entire weekend, and we do not leave for any reason. Nothing in this World is worth it as it seems people have lost all decency and respect when it comes to these sales. I am sure this year just like last we will have people trampled to death and so forth. Is just all so sad that things are slipping away in this nation.
    Steve
    FSX Hours: 3000+

I saw on the sign of a Wendy's restaurant that it's going to be open from 10 PM Thanksgiving Day to 6 AM Black Friday Morning....just to serve all the crazies that forgo sleep in the name of cheap merchandise.

My sympathies are with those workers who are going to be forced away from their families on this holiday in order to work in the wee hours of the morning and deal with a rabid mob of consumers.

As a couple others have already noted, this may be more a reflection of the terrible economy in which we find ourselves over the past few years... And, as others have pointed out, we get to "vote" with our credit cards in this "election". If nobody shows up to buy stuff, they won't be open next year... I don't go anywhere near malls between Thanksgiving and New Years, period.

- Paul
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

This is a little off topic but at a large discount retailer that has already been mentioned in this thread, there was a large sign that said "Happy Harvest". Not "Happy Thanksgiving" as it should have read. Happy Harvest? What are we, children of the corn now? I guess it might offend someone to give thanks.

Makes me sad that all the great holiday traditions in our country are slowly fading away.

I refuse to shop on a holiday simply because I feel that it is more important for families to be together on a holiday like Thanksgiving, and to not be worried about having to be at work. When I worked in Law Enforcement it was required, but that comes with the job and when I had my own company I worked on Christmas day so my employees didn't have to.
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Hey All,

It is just silly - all they need to do is start Christmas season before halloween like some places are. Then you have plenty of time to shop and can be closed Thanksgiving.

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

The good thing about our country is that you have a choice to go if you want. I'll stay home. :mixedsmi:

It's really a question of freedom.

We should give thanks that retailers have the freedom to be open, and we as consumers are free to shop or not.

Regards,
    B24Guy

Retired SOH Administrator
    I wonder how much freedom the employees have to say yes or no for that holiday?
    Quote Originally Posted by The B24 Guy View Post
    It's really a question of freedom.

We should give thanks that retailers have the freedom to be open, and we as consumers are free to shop or not.

Regards,
    B24Guy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    This is a little off topic but at a large discount retailer that has already been mentioned in this thread, there was a large sign that said "Happy Harvest". Not "Happy Thanksgiving" as it should have read. Happy Harvest? What are we, children of the corn now? I guess it might offend someone to give thanks.

Makes me sad that all the great holiday traditions in our country are slowly fading away.
    I've seen a few of those too. They won't see my business.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Moe
    Some of my daughter's friends work retail at major stores and the ones that are having to work Thanksgiving say that the choice is to either work the holiday (some on a double shift) or find another job.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by hey_moe View Post
    At the grocery store one year it was mandatory, the other year it was voluntary. Guess every employer is different.

Members who have read this thread: 0