Buying an SSD drive. What to get?

Thread: Buying an SSD drive. What to get?

Buying an SSD drive. What to get?

I'm long past due. They've been out for quite some time, and the prices have dropped considerably. My main concern, what one to get?
    It will have only flight simulator on board. I think 240-256GB is plenty. More than I will ever need.

What brand (size, speed, etc) should I buy?

Sheesh the specs seem to change all the time. I would recommend going to YouTube and do a search there for NCIX & SSD that compnay do some very good spec reviews ..... and they have expanded into the USA.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by OleBoy View Post
    I'm long past due. They've been out for quite some time, and the prices have dropped considerably. My main concern, what one to get?
    It will have only flight simulator on board. I think 240-256GB is plenty. More than I will ever need.

What brand (size, speed, etc) should I buy?
    Yeah, and at one time I thought anything more than 1GB of RAM was gross overkill. I'm just saying that software is taking up larger and larger portions of hard drives, get the largest, high quality drive that you can afford.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

After reading and watching several reviews, I'm actually overwhelmed with all I've absorbed. Or haven't.
    Some say that vertex 2 is the way to go, others say vertex 4 is the latest and greatest.
    Some say it's best to have the OS, and FSX on the SSD, some say put the OS on the spin-drive and FSX on the SSD.

Top 10 reviews has a listing for the 10 best SSD's. Best for what? Until when?
    OCZ has the Vertex 4 with a 5yr warranty. Sounds good. But is the drive what I want?

TOO MUCH INFO!!!! I know nothing about these darn things to make a logical decision.

Maybe it's best I just stick with the mechanical spiny things.

My personal choice in the SSD range is the OCZ Vertex 4 256GB at A$250+/- change, not only is it fast but it comes with a 5 year warranty.
    Runs the O/S without breaking a sweat and at roughly A$1.00 per GB the price is right.
    I run FSX on a second Vertex 4, and everything else goes onto a pair of 500GB 10,000 RPM Western Digital 'Raptors'.
    This works the best for me, and I've tried various combinations of drives and what goes where.
    If reliability is a concern then the 240GB Intel SSD 520 Series is just about bullet-proof, at A$300.00 it costs a bit but it comes with a 5 year warranty as well.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Wombat, knowledge is key. Your dealings (and your being a simmer) have aided my decision on the purchase of two (OS/Fsim) OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSDs from NewEgg. Great timing on my part. They have a sale running currently for $199.00ea.
    Not only do I have a reason to reformat, my system, and Prepar3D will have snap and vigor too boot.

Thank you for your assistance.

You're welcome!
    I've hooked mine up to the SATA 3 ports and they are noticeably quicker, and while they are backward compatible with SATA 2 the speed drops off.
    FWIW, an SSD is not defragged in the conventional way, that cuts the life of the drive (so I'm told and I have no intention of testing the theory!) and the inbuilt drive optimisation runs in the background.
    At that price you can't go wrong.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Blog Entries
    wombat666!!! ya done good...OCZ vertex4 is HOT STUFF and very reliable...:O)
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam