Flight Sim "Cockpit"

Thread: Flight Sim "Cockpit"

Flight Sim "Cockpit"

Hey Guys,

I have never in all the years I have flown CFS2 and been a part of this community seen anyone talk about their physical setup for their virtual flying. Do you drop your joystick on top of your desk, plug in the USB cable and call it a day? Have you dedicated part of an entire room to a multi-monitor, climb in an actual cockpit that moves type of setup, or something in-between? There are many plans available for flight sim cockpits, but this is what I have worked up over the last several months through trial and error, which seems to suit my needs really well - i.e., I can completely put it away or set it up in about one minute flat. I basically built a framework out of PVC tubing with "shelves" on each side of, and in front of my chair to hold the various controllers. The two side shelves detach easily from the center, which is built to 'lock' under my desk chair's castors. Company's coming? Receive orders from the flag that it's time to put it away, or just get tired of looking at it - all you have to do is unplug 6 USB cables, detach the left and right control platforms, and stick them in the guest room closet. Done. It's that quick and easy. Here's an excellent resource for this kind of project:
    http://www.fscockpit.com/buildingblo...orcockpit.html

Here we are set up to fly single-engine aircraft with the yoke set aside on the floor to the left, and running a CFS2 config which uses the Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick, Saitek throttle/prop/mix quadrant on the left, CH rudder pedals and trim wheel. Controllers are all configured through FSUIPC 3.999 from Pete Dowson (http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html) This is the version you need for CFS2. All buttons and switches of the whole system, even on the unused controllers, are available for assigning commands to. The Thrustmaster Warthog throttle on the left has a ton of switches and buttons which are very useful, but I don't use it as a throttle in CFS2 - I do use it to fly jets in FSX, DCS A-10, Lockon Flaming Cliffs 2, etc...

Attachment 75640

Here's the dedicated keyboard: I didn't realize this, but you can hook up two keyboards and presumably more, to your CPU at the same time, and they all work. I can pull out my regular unmodified keyboard at any time if I need it. Labels are printed, glued to cardstock, and superglued to a cheap keyboard. An outstanding resource for all of this ishttp://www.rogerdodger.net/diyflightsims.html) Beats the heck out of "Now what was that command - control shift, blah blah?" They have keyboard layouts for every imaginable aircraft type and sim. I use one keyboard that works well for CFS2 warbirds, and also converts nicely to other sims and aircraft - IL-2 Cliffs of Dover, FSX Airliners, jets, whatever. You can make as many different keyboards and layouts for different sims and aircraft as you need. The possibilities are endless.
    Attachment 75637

Here we are set up to fly multi-engine aircraft with the CH Flight Sim yoke clamped to the desktop, and running a CFS2 config which uses the yoke, and two CH 6 axis throttle/prop/mix quadrants on the right, CH rudder pedals and trim wheel. The upper 6 axis throttle quadrant is all you need to fly a twin engine aircraft, I use the lower, which is actually mounted upside-down, to control prop pitch when I fly four engine aircraft. Use it for A2A B-17 intercoolers - whatever. Note the cable organizer which conducts the cables from the right side column controllers to the left (and the single USB switch) in a single conduit - (easy for setup and take-down)

Attachment 75639

All nicely put away in one minute. The joystick, rudder pedals, and the part of the PVC framework they are attached to actually stay in place, effectively hidden under the desk. Note the powered 8 x USB switch by my left knee. It stays in place, and is key to being able to quickly and easily plug in all of the USB controllers. Access is easy because of location, all receptacles and cables are labeled, so they get plugged in to the same USB slot each time (important so the controllers are consistently and appropriately recognized by FSUIPC)

Attachment 75641

I'm curious to hear if anyone else is doing anything like this, and if so, what? Do tell. This can all be done really easily and inexpensively. A little PVC http://www.pvcfittingsdirect.com/, paint, hardware, a USB switch - by far the biggest expense is the controllers, which you may already own, or if not, you can choose the ones that make sense to you. If anyone has questions, post 'em here!
    Best Regards,
    Ghostrider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ghost,

I've been meaning to put up my simpit pics for some time. I just needed a post like yours to light a fire under my butt LOL. The first few are during the building stage and later pics show the completion of the electronics. The cockpit is laid out like a P-51 but is generic enough to accomodate all aircraft in my install. the canopy was custom made for me by a shop in CA then shipped to me in VA. It slides open on "U" channels.

Attachment 75648Attachment 75646Attachment 75649

The following pics show the flaps and gear levers and the 3 trim switches. The are fully functional. I used a car shifter for the flaps and a car handbrake for the gear lever. Each is hooked to a 3 way switch that activates when moved. The flaps lever has 5 increments for 5 flaps positions.
    Attachment 75650Attachment 75654Attachment 75655 The next pics show the main controls. I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar with the stick mounted on a pedastal and the extension tube for more height. The throttle is mounted on the left wall. I have since added a slide potentiometer to the throttle base giving me a mixture axis also. The pedals are Thrustmaster Elite. Attachment 75656 Attachment 75657

Here's some more pics since it only allows 8 per thread LOL

Attachment 75658

The dash has working parking brake, starter, and magneto switches
    Attachment 75659

and a mock radio that I plug my headset into. It un-mutes the mic and lights up when the "power" switch is on
    Attachment 75660

and a 21 inch monitor completes the scene
    Attachment 75661

All in all it's took over 3 yrs to build and about $3000 invested. It's still a work in progress since I still haven't put the outer skin on for painting. I've had 2 computers in it with the second one being so much better than the first since it was originally built for CFS1. I designed and built every aspect of the working levers and switches myself as well as the box, canopy and anything else that wasn't store bought. And my wife wonders why I spend so much time in the basement LOL

Very nice, Col Wolf! I knew I couldn't be the only one! Your simpit is outstanding - I opted for a more "living room friendly" route, so am jealous of yours - just goes to show how different these things can be according to one's wishes and needs. Don't you love the Thrustmaster HOTAS controls?
    Best Regards,
    Ghostrider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Ghost,

Luckily I had a whole basement room to myself to do this. Although, the "box" build was done at a different location and had to be taken apart for transport to my house.

And yes the TM HOTAS Cougar is great. Although I had to do some work on the gimbles in the stick. It seems the added leverage of the stick extension wore them out prematurely.