Wet laptop power supply

Thread: Wet laptop power supply

Wet laptop power supply

Hi, has anyone ever experienced a water bottle bursting in a laptop case and thoroughly soaking the power supply? Well, that happened to me today. The laptop was spared and works, but it only operates a short time on its internal battery. I tried to open the power supply, but it looks as if it's sealed somehow, but not waterproof, lol.

Can these things survive after getting wet? Any ideas on how to thoroughly dry it out?

Thanks!
    Matt

If the power supply has not been powered up since it got wet then pack it into a seal-able plastic bag (like a zip-lock or one that can be taped shut) surrounded by uncooked rice (long grain, short grain, basmati, it doesn't matter). Once it's in the rice seal the bag and put it somewhere warm such as on a heater vent or in an airing cupboard for 2-3 days (you don't want to melt the bag but you do want to encourage evaporation). The rice will draw any moisture out of the power supply.

If it has already been powered up then all bets are off as water inside the case could cause a short circuit.
    Larry

Whatever you do.... DO NOT ATTACH the power supply to the laptop and/or attempt to power on.
    Once dry [with the rice....it works] test the output of the supply BEFORE even thinking of attaching the Laptop.
    Supplies are cheap....laptops are not.

Reason....
    If you pickle the charging circuit component of the MoBo it'll often cost you more to repair than the purchase of a new laptop.

As long as it isn't powered most computer equipment (including power supplies) will survive some water. When the water has vapourised you will have some residue, which might be (a bit) conductive and therefore can generate some problems (clean water= minor problems and dirty water major problems).

Use a hair dryer to dry the power supply, when you think it is dry, just plug it in. When you have a power outlet with earth leakage fuse use that to test the power supply. The few mili-amps needed to trip this fuse will not damage your power supply.

As Jafo said, first try it before connecting it to your laptop.

Cheers,
    Huub

BTW water is less conductive than most people think....

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    BTW water is less conductive than most people think....
    This is very true, 100% pure water is not conductive at all. The problem comes from all the things that get dissolved into the water or are floating around in it that conduct the electricity.
    Larry

RGR Its the Ionized particles in the water that conduct electricity.

Sugar, salt, minerals are all conductors.

Good luck but my advise just buy a new one now.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Might be too late for more advice but it's like a cell phone dropped in the puddle, or worse. It's the electricity that does the most damage coursing through whatever pathway it can find so the first and best hope for damage control is removing the battery/power supply. After that, thoroughly drying the circuit boards and all inner components possible is the next phase, and might take days. Later, look for any corrosion and consider taking the device to a shop for an opinion. Lastly, the power supply or battery should really be dumped as it will never work as it did before and may harm whatever it is connected to. I've done these steps for quite a few items with usually good results. Good luck.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

OK, I must have horseshoes up the yin-yang. Here's what transpired. I did plug the wet power supply into the laptop. The laptop connector didn't glow so I assumed (bad word I know) no power was coming out of the supply. I have a broken laptop at home that I had used to transfer its screen to this one as the hinge on this one broke and cracked the top. I plugged the power supply into that one and no glow either. I had no rice in the house, but decided to put the power supply on top of an old 19" monitor under the premise that if it didn't melt its own case with the heat it produces, it most likely would not hurt the power supply case either. After two days, there was no "clicking" sound when I plugged the power cord into the supply, so I tried it in the broken laptop. The connector glowed. Being more daring than smart, I plugged it into the working laptop and it to glowed. The laptop booted, the battery charged and all is working fine as far as I can tell. What I did do though was order a new power supply as I don't know what exactly went on inside the supply when I plugged it in wet. Time will tell...
    Matt