Rules for AWR MacRobertson London-Melbourne?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rules for AWR MacRobertson London-Melbourne?

Rules for AWR MacRobertson London-Melbourne?

Been reading about the 2009 AWR to re-enact the '34 MacRoberston London to Melbourne race, but can't seem to find the actual rules used. Lots of attachments, pics etc seem to have been lost along the way. I've found the odd rule (like mandatory checkpoints list and race ceiling), but would like to know things like time add-on for refuelling stops.
    I'd love to fly this race (offline) in a period aircraft and - to make it more interesting - be able to make comparisons with what those of you who ran that event in 2009 reported here.

If someone can provide a link or is able to send a copy of the rules and eligible craft (for the golden age category) I'd be most grateful. :salute:

Hi P911,

I think I have a set of the rules somewhere. Will post what I can find when I get a chance.

Kevin

Apparently my set didn't make the move to the new comp.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

SOH-CM-2016
    I think this package is what you're after. Was a great event!
    Martin (FS RTW Race pilot 2009-19)
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

Thanks Martin!

This is one race that I'd like to fly again. Already have something new in mind.

Excellent little 'package' - thank you muchly, Spookster!

One note

The handicapping system we used was flawed.

The intent was for the handicap to balance the scales and it did not.

In hindsight we should have used the handicapping system they used in the real race. It would have worked out much better.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Planning . . .

Well thanks to Spookster, I've now got enough knowledge to get myself into trouble with my attempt to replicate what y'all got up to back in 2009. I've 'acquired' a neat little Orion that seems to suit what I'm looking for for this task (period authentic, committee-approved, mid-range, reasonable speed, easy to fly, comes with the requisite AP, ADF).

I've got Duenna up and running (I think) but can't download the read-me (link doesn't work). Not sure if it contains any essential info but as there is no manual with the installation, the read-me would be nice to have. Anyone know if it is available anywhere other than the Duenna download site?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Portia911 View Post
    Well thanks to Spookster, I've now got enough knowledge to get myself into trouble with my attempt to replicate what y'all got up to back in 2009. I've 'acquired' a neat little Orion that seems to suit what I'm looking for for this task (period authentic, committee-approved, mid-range, reasonable speed, easy to fly, comes with the requisite AP, ADF).

I've got Duenna up and running (I think) but can't download the read-me (link doesn't work). Not sure if it contains any essential info but as there is no manual with the installation, the read-me would be nice to have. Anyone know if it is available anywhere other than the Duenna download site?
    Thanks.

Hi Portia911,

You shouldn't need the readme file for anything .... by now whatever was covered is moot.

That program has been utilized so much over the last 6 or 7 years that all of the "bugs" have been worked out.

If you have any problems with it, just post here with a description and what version of the simulator you are running.

Plenty of help available ....

"Blue Skies" on your way Down Under .... I have made that trip three times ... can't wait for your posts and screenshots.

Cheers,
    salt_air

I don't think you want the read me anyway. It looks like it was never updated past version 0.106.

If you need help just look for me on the TeamSpeak Server.

You may need to let me know when you will be showing up if you don't find me right away.

I am normally in the Liar's Lounge.

Thanks guys, I'll forget about the Duenna read-me then.
    Salty, I'll try taking and posting screen-shots next so I can post a little intro piece for my 'entry' in this event.

Dave, thanks for your kind offer. I don't have the technology to 'teamspeak' at this time, but will certainly look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Portia911 View Post
    Thanks guys, I'll forget about the Duenna read-me then.
    Salty, I'll try taking and posting screen-shots next so I can post a little intro piece for my 'entry' in this event.

Dave, thanks for your kind offer. I don't have the technology to 'teamspeak' at this time, but will certainly look into it.

You can't beat voice communication for trouble shooting and completely resolving issues.

Teamspeak is free ....

Not just on monetary cost, but it's a small download and takes up very little room on your machine and doesn't make an awful big footprint on your internet connection.

A short "meeting" on Teamspeak 3 .... minutes will bring to resolve what would take weeks on this forum.

Most get frustrated at the timeline and give up ... that's sad because the answer and resolution are at hand and readily available.

I'm salt_air and I approve this message ....
    salt_air

Following the CAA's ruling banning single-engine (and single-crew) airliners, the Phillips Petroleum Company of Bartlesville OK, got a good deal on an American Airways Lockheed Orion that had suddenly become surplus to the airline's requirements.
    Phillips were halfway through refitting the Orion as en executive PR vehicle, when the potential promotion opportunity offered by the MacRobertson Air Race was identified. The recently added hardwood saloon bar was hastily removed, the company's corporate colours painted on (thanks to John Barner's repaint), and the Orion shipped off to Felixstowe, England. A short haul by rail to the nearby (and in 1934, near-new) Ipswich Airport (EGSE) allowed for a couple of days unpacking and race preparations, before a final short test-flight to Mildenhall - the official startline for this aerial marathon.

Tally Ho!

Thanks for your indulgence, folks. Will do these 'time-stamp' posts when I can (and assuming this is more than a 1-flight campaign!)

Leaving shortly: EGUN - EDDP (Halle-Leipzig, Germany) :salute:

Tally Ho indeed pilot!

Great storyline and a handsome steed from a most reputable manufacturer.

Blue Skies Portia911!
    salt_air

Thanks salt_air.

Down in one piece at Leipzig. Prost!

It's a long trip, but worth it!

Cheers, Willy

Ding, ding . . . Round 2
    Departing Leipzig for Belgrade (EDDP - LYBE)
    Cheerio!

Second leg complete - down at Belgrade.

Day 1

Two flights to get my race underway. Duenna seems to be doing its thing (yay!).
    I had an easy run from Mildenhall to Leipzig. Nice flying weather with a handy tailwind for most of the run.
    Leipzig to Belgrade was a little longer, and there was a steady wind moving from my 3 o'clock round to 1 o'clock by the time I landed.

Pics taken minutes after takeoff, over Suffolk; and approaching Dutch coast (Leiden)

A couple of pics + Duenna from my second leg (EDDP - LYBE):
    taking off from Leipzig; crossing Czech border; approach at Belgrade

Good Show so far

Yeah .... we've got a contender here .... nice work pilot!

Wait .... what's this I see great screenshots and (green) duenna graphics posted?

First time out, no questions and everything is in fine working order ... whew!

Happy Trails Sir!
    salt_air

Quote Originally Posted by salt_air View Post
    Wait .... what's this I see great screenshots and (green) duenna graphics posted?

First time out, no questions and everything is in fine working order ... whew!
    LOL

Let the recruiting race begin!

That is refreshing to see.

Thanks Gents, 'tis beginners luck, surely. But nice to know I have duenna working as it should.

Now tell me, on arrival does duenna log the end of the flight the moment you touch down/ turn off the runway proper/ or not until you park and switch off?

For the immersion factor it would be nice to taxi to a suitable gate, taking in the airport scenery, waving to the spectators and generally feeling good about being down safely. But if all that is adding precious minutes to the logged time, one would perhaps be better pulling off the runway at the first opportunity and switching off on the first bit of infield grass you come across (?)

Off to plot safe passage through the (old) Yugoslav mountains . . .

Members who have read this thread: 4