Rules for AWR MacRobertson London-Melbourne? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rules for AWR MacRobertson London-Melbourne?

Self-imposed challenge as I try to max the fuel range for the Orion and go 654 nm, OIBB - OPGD.
    Baton picked up. Tally-ho!

Well that turned out to be no great challenge. I dog-legged to Gwadar after heading too far inland after Bandar-e-Abbas (a paucity of NDBs in this part of the world don't you know!) - yet still had plenty of fuel.
    On calculations from that 'economy-run' the little Lockheed could go 700 maybe even 750 nm if it had to. I might have to re-think my stops for some of the remaining legs. :mixedsmi:

Pics leaving Bushehr (in a cooling shower of rain) and then heading east, into the heat and dust . . .

Ready for take-off, OPGD - VIJO.

Quote Originally Posted by Portia911 View Post
    Safely down at Jodhpur.

ahhh Yes .... things are doing well.

"Jodhpur has a number of restaurants and eating-places.

You can every cuisine in Jodhpur, ranging from Indian to Chinese to Continental to Mughlai cuisine.

While there, do not forget to try the famous Kachouri (a snack eaten with chutney).

Those with a sweet tooth should try laddoos, which simply melt in your mouth. And not to forget, do have a tall glass of buttermilk or 'lassi'."

Longer legs are not recommended until after you have completely digested these local favorites ...

I'll be happy to pick up the dinner bill .... I'm sure Willy will open up a tab for your beverages if you blow in his ear.

Happy Trails,
    salt_air

If I remember correctly is was in the MacRobertson race that I almost missed an NDB out over the water somewhere. By the time I got it in range it was at a 90 degree angle to me. Now that was a dog leg. It was a 75nm NDB.

Speed on with the long legs that is what I did.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Hello chaps, nice of you to drop by.

There's no 'almost missing' the NDB here, Dave - there isn't one! And when the preceeding half hour's travel is wrapped in a sand storm, I can tell you one is very pleased to be able to find Jodhpur. I had the Jaipur frequency dialled in, as overshooting became seriously likely - but just as I was wondering about landing penalties or even the end of my race, I dropped into clear air at about 3500' and there was Jodhpur.

Thanks salt_air for your tips on local culinary delights - but I might look up Willy's bar first and see what he can recommend to wash all that sand out of my mouth.

Guiness is good for you...
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Guiness is good for you...
    T' be suure!
    . . . so let's line a few up for my new AWR friends

cheers, lads!

Ok, so after a big night out and about in Jodhpur - I've remembered where I parked the Orion, and reckon if I sit still in it for a few minutes, I'll pretty quick remember why I am here and, more importantly, how to fly the bastard!

As soon as that all happens, I'll be off for checkpoint #2: Allahabad
    [VIJO - VIAL]

Arrived after a milk-run to Allahabad.

salt_air

Baton picked up, VIAL - VECC.

Baton is down at Calcutta.

Ah Calcutta
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

A pic from my dawn departure from Allahabad . . . just running the engine up ready to roll.

Good show, Portia.
    It's a pleasure to follow along your flights, and to dig out some old memories.
    Got some pretty strong ones linked to that area in particular
    Keep on the good flights!

You are very welcome, teson. Thanks for your interest.
    Obviously I'm not going to make Melbourne by the end of November, but given this is a solo competition, I think I'll grant myself an extension.

Early morning departure. VECC - VYYY
    Tally ho!

Arrived safely at Rangoon (Yangon).

Pics from latest flight:
    1. hazy morning at Calcutta
    2. over Sundarban, Bay of Bengal
    3. Burma's Myitmaka river
    4. Rangoon

Ready for take-off, VYYY - WMKA.
    This will be my longest leg to date (690 nm)

Dented delusions of (aerial) adequacy

Well for those of you following my misadventures, you'll be relieved to know I didn't follow in the footsteps of Guynemer, Kingsford-Smith and Earhart - and just fly into history without a trace. I ran low on fuel and had to land (quite safely) at Trang in southern Thailand - nearly 100 nm short of my intended destination, Alor Star.

Don't really know what went wrong, other than I obviously used too much fuel trying to maintain some pace against a rather persistent 13 kt headwind for most of the last 2 hours of my flight.

The rules suggest this would be a 1 hour penalty for refuelling at an unprepared airfield. I should comfortably be able to reach the next compulsory checkpoint at Singapore from here (unless I have a leaking fuel tank). My strategy is to take on extra 'liquid' here in Trang tonight (Singha is not a bad drop after all!), and then sally forth . . .

Members who have read this thread: 4