CFS2 & Windows 8 thread

Thread: CFS2 & Windows 8 thread

CFS2 & Windows 8 thread

After years, I had to switch to a new system.
    5 times, I was nearly at this point, but no system could finally convince me.

I choosed again a Notebook, because I hate fullsize Rigs.
    I wanted a nice 15" again, but choosed a 17" finally, because of the better overall features in them.
    Now the graphics card alone will have as much RAM as my old NB had, lol.

I am very excited now and look fwd to hold it in my hands.

Well, the drawback is, it comes with Windows 8 and I am full of sorrows about that.
    I know, CFS2 runs under Windows 7, but will it do with Win8 too??

Please tell about your experiences, if you can!
    Visit my CFS2-dedicated sites: CFS2 : Tips&Tricks + Downloads + A/C-Profiles + Links

I'd really like to know how you get on, please keep us posted!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

It looks like you just volunteered to be the "wind dummy" on this one, Jax. Load it and keep us posted on what happens with Missions, Free Flight etc and of course Mission Builder. I, for one will follow this thread closely :salute: I sure hope this game will survive thru the next OS generation.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Back again with first impression:

I received my Notebook (Dell Inspiron 17R SE) two days ago and managed to screw it up after just 2hours after unboxing with a partition manager, which hanged up (probably because of the already installed Antivir running from the beginning).

Called the Dell hotline and had a recovery DVD in my hands the next day(!!).

I bought a nice 256GB SSD and put that one in the first HDD slot and installed Win8 again.
    (BTW: the Win8 key is on a chip somewhere inside the notebook, so it was very easy)

The system with just an I5 processor is very fast in combination with the SSD now and loads up within seconds.
    The longest part during booting now is me typing the password - no joke!

With this combination, not even the fan starts to spin in normal surfing or office use.

CFS2 runs with the first try, but until now, only the internal Graphics card is offered.
    I have to find out, how to use the extra card with 2GB RAM. Also the sound does not work yet for me.
    I`ll keep you informed.

So far, coming from Win XP and having left out Vista and Win7, I really like Win 8 - it is fast, intuitive in use and offers the normal explorer view and such just beside the new touchscreen APPs user interface you see on every preview pic.
    Visit my CFS2-dedicated sites: CFS2 : Tips&Tricks + Downloads + A/C-Profiles + Links

I am still fiddling with the Video cards.
    Only the intenral Intel Card is offered within CFS2.
    And the more powerful Geforce is not choosable.

Even disabling the onboard vid card does not help, as then a very basic Microsoft driver is used instead.

Are there CFS2 workaround-experiences for systems with multiple video cards (esp. laptops)?

Thanks for the update!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

A thread dredge, but......As I'm about to install CFS2 onto a Windows 8 Dell Inspiron 17 - how did your problems with the video card go - were they resolved?

Members who have read this thread: 16