Flight - New Denzel Washington movie

Thread: Flight - New Denzel Washington movie

Flight - New Denzel Washington movie

Alright. Denzel Washington's new movie, Flight, about the culpabilty of an alcholic airline pilot, opens on Nov.2. I know I'm not the only person here to have seen the trailers on TV. I freely admit that I don't know a whole lot about the flight characteristics of tubes. My area of interest is vintage and Military aircraft. I also enjoy simming small single-engined private planes around my Niagara Falls scenery in FSX, but I don't really know much about the handling characteristics of big airliners. What I'm leading up to here is something I've seen in the trailer, where what I think is a 767 is flying inverted over a residential area. Someone please answer: Is that even possible? Wouldn't that airframe, subjected to that much stress, just fly apart?

JAMES
    "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

Charter Member 2016
    Well, Hollywood has been known to take liberties with a few facts. . .from time to time -

"Those who live by the sword are shot by those who don't"

Test pilot Tex Johnson rolled the prototype 707 at an airshow, so I'd say it's possible.

Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

I have always been under the assumption that the big airliners could easily do rolls and other acrobatics if allowed to do so. They are pretty tough birds for the most part.

Edit: I see Willy beat me to the punch on the Tex roll.

The way Tex Johnson and Bob Hoover rolled a plane while maintaining one positive G is perfectly safe. The plane doesn't care how its oriented.

Looks like a 717, and yes a roll can be a 1 "g" maneuver if done properly. Of course it's Hollywood, so the lower alt looks better on camera, but there is no way to roll rightside up and not lose altitude in this scenario.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    Looks like a 717...
    Denzel Washington was on Jay Leno and said for the movie he trained in the MD-80 simulator.

Phill

Thanks to everyone who answered. I'd like to see this movie eventually, but I'm on an austerity budget while I finish a project I'm working on, so I'll probably wait till it comes out on video. I will be going to see Skyfall and The Hobbit, or my nerd card may be revoked. There's already controversy about my authenticity. BTW, I did finally see Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, but I only lasted about 20 minutes. The book was surprisingly (to me) well-researched, but the movie didn't hold my interest. I do want to see Steven Speilberg's Lincoln. I was discussing it with my dentist (a history buff with whom I sometimes exchange audiobooks) last week, and he says Speilberg has been working on the script on and off for 11 years.

JAMES
    "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)