The Usual Tweaks

Thread: The Usual Tweaks

Question The Usual Tweaks

Several FS-X downloads come with a statement "...should work in FS9, with the usual tweaks".

Will someone kindly specify "the usual tweaks"?

- H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

Obviously they are portovers tweaked for FSX.

It could involve texture sizes (2048 or larger to be resized to 1024 and possibly format changed to 32bit or DXT3), prop and glass alpha channels to be "strengthened" (made less transparent), or even aircraft.cfg changes to eliminate FSX only stuff (although these are usually ignored).
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Milton just about got it covered, one thing with textures when converting back to fs9 format , image and alpha need to be 'flipped' too.

ttfn

Pete

Thank you both for the replies.

By the way, what is a "port-over"?

- H52

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye52 View Post
    Thank you both for the replies.

By the way, what is a "port-over"?

- H52
    It is a model exported for FS9 with all the FS9 restrictions.
    The exterior and interior models are as one instead of separated as in FSX exports.

Other changes for Port-overs may include:

The glass and prop textures are usually tweaked for better appearance.

Textures may be done in larger sizes and in FSX formats.

Textures that make good use of alpha channels may need to be tweaked for better FSX appearance.

Sometimes the flight model is tuned for proper performance in FSX or to take advantage of FSX features not available in FS9.

Thumbnails are usually added to the texture folders.

Common textures may be combined minimizing HD space requirements.

Effects may be changed to use FSX effects as some FS9 effects perform poorly in FSX.

Some gauges may be replaced.

Packaging may change to FSX formats.

Sounds may be enhanced to take advantage of FSX sound capabilities.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Thank you for the info, Milton. An FS-X port-over is an FS9 original adapted to FS-X. OK, I've got it.

There was a thread some weeks? /months? ago on a tool to convert FS-X textures to FS9. Can that same tool be used to adjust the alpha?

- H52

Martin Wright's Dxt-Bmp and ConvImX are what you need from here - -- > http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/
    (the second utility is in the 'beta section)

Use Dxt-Bmp to export the texture to your favourite paint program to resize the textures (remember fs9 has 1024 x 1024 pixel limit); re-import to Dxt-Bmp to save as extended bitmap format; then 'flip' image and alpha; ConvImX can be used to 'batch' process multiple file
    conversions from dds to dxt/32 bit 8-888 format as you wish, but won't flip image and alpha.

Alpha adjustment can be made by again, using Dxt-Bmp to export alpha channel image to your favourite paint program; make change using your paint program, save the changed alpha then re-import alpha into Dxt-Bmp

I used this technique to convert several of the FSX textures by OleBoy for the Addictive Sim Pitts to fs9 format; think it was Cazzie who provided the 'how-to guide' for me.

Hope this helps

ttfn

Pete

Thanks MM. I plan to attempt "the usual tweaks" on Piglets's Naboo N1 fighter.

- H52

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye52 View Post
    Thanks MM. I plan to attempt "the usual tweaks" on Piglets's Naboo N1 fighter.

- H52
    If that's the yellow one with R2D2, think that one will work ok right out of the box so to speak, you just have to rewrite the UI bit in the aircraft.cfg file

ttfn

Pete

This one would have been an early FSX model probably before SP1.

The two sims were a little more compatible back then than they are now.

Now if a model is made for FSX and it is native there is no way the materials in FSX will work in FS9.

I used to have the Naboo cruiser installed but I can not remember what I might have done if anything to make it work. Seems to me it worked out of the box like Motormouse said.

Here is a little tip for you.

Load up the sim in the Naboo. Make sure you have AI traffic airline turned on.

Find a Big old jet and get right behind it. Then slam into it in a kamikaze fashion.

For the best affects be at a high altitude.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Thanks for the input, DD.
    Now I just need to decide....Airbus? Boeing?

- H52

Members who have read this thread: 49