Update of the FSD YF-23?

Thread: Update of the FSD YF-23?

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries

Update of the FSD YF-23?

In response to a previous thread (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?72322-Will-we-ever-see-a-native-Lockheed-P38/page3): Milviz is considering an updated version of the FSD YF-23. What would your wishes be for such an upgrade? More specifically: what kind of improvements would make you want to buy the plane (although the price can only be set if the project goes ahead of course)? Perhaps this thread can give some guidance as to whether there is appetite for an update.<o></o>
    First off: I would want the cockpit to be more immersive. It looks rather ‘bland’ now. Is it the texturing? Is it the lack of instruments? I am not sure. Perhaps the cockpit should look more like an operational plane instead of like that of a test vehicle.<o></o>
    A definite must for me would be the positioning of the HUD symbology. It sits too low now (for example: the HUD horizon is below the real horizon). Extremely annoying.<o></o>

VC textures(too dark)and VC lighting in fact the lighting all the way around.

*If* It was redone I would be all for it!

IMHO

1. Less shine on the skin.
    2. Dump the modelled afterburner unless it looks/acts realistic in favor of an advanced effect.
    3. Cockpit/HUD lighting.
    4. An accurate PAV 800 skin (but this could be made for the current aircraft...i sorely lack the skill)

The interior is pretty accurate. I like the authenticity in this aircraft. I'd like to see more detailed system modeling. Hydraulics, electrical, engine performance, oil. Maybe a "fictional" weapon system that follows closely the intended system or at least closely the F-15E.

I'd really love to see the F-23 NATF model done as a variant included in my perfect world (even if it duplicated the systems and interior of the YF-23). Milviz is committed to accuracy and quality, so *if* it were redone you know it would be done well.

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    *If* It was redone I would be all for it!

IMHO

1. Less shine on the skin.
    2. Dump the modelled afterburner unless it looks/acts realistic in favor of an advanced effect.
    3. Cockpit/HUD lighting.
    4. An accurate PAV 800 skin (but this could be made for the current aircraft...i sorely lack the skill)

The interior is pretty accurate. I like the authenticity in this aircraft. I'd like to see more detailed system modeling. Hydraulics, electrical, engine performance, oil. Maybe a "fictional" weapon system that follows closely the intended system or at least closely the F-15E.

I'd really love to see the F-23 NATF model done as a variant included in my perfect world (even if it duplicated the systems and interior of the YF-23). Milviz is committed to accuracy and quality, so *if* it were redone you know it would be done well.
    Yes, what he said...

For some time I had thought about what I would like to see in an upgrade for this model. I always thought it was generally a great model but could be a lot better and overall I rarely fly it based on my feelings it needs updating From the standpoint of the FDE, it feels pretty good in terms of handling and based on pilots accounts, the real YF-23 was super stable yet handled with great agility considering it's size. Northrop elected not to use Thrust Vectoring Nozzles and affect Super-Maneuverability more by the aerodynamics of the large tail surfaces and advanced FBW algorithms. I added more pitch authority in the flight tuning but what is really needed is a rework of the FDE to include G limiting while not sacrificing pitch authority as well as setting more realistic drag and thrust values. The real YF-23 was light and a bit overpowered but this model is a bit too overpowered. The other issues, correcting the gear retraction/extension speed(I already took care of that), selectable flap/slat settings on ground but keeping the automatic settings when airborne(like the stock accel F/A-18). Lastly, I have worked on new Afterburners which are particle type. They are freeware which I've used and posted for other models. They are very stable and look good overall. Below are screens of the initial work. Frank Safranek helped me with trying to get the current modeled AB texture to be transparent(invisible) so that there is no interference with the updated burners but it's being a bit of a pain & riddle to get right thus far. It will get there before long.

I've been forced to take a break from my spare time beta testing & usual FS use after my Father suffered nearly fatal blood clots in his lungs at the end of last week. Thankfully the Docs got things under control and I'm monitoring him for a few days while he recovers but hopefully after that, I will get the burners and other minor tweaks out and hopefully a couple of other talented folks might jump on this as well.

I would love for this as well. Looks great so far. I would say if this bird had a little TLC, it would be a great Edwards AFB Flyer! What you've done so far looks very good.

I will be honest with you all on this one and say, that, sad to say, this plane is more than likely not going to get anymore TLC.

We've looked at this and, to make the new HUD, add more system depth, redo the textures (that's not hard!) etc... it would take a large amount of effort and time... (essentially, a redo on code) for what we feel would be a very small return. If any.

It was a terrible seller though it did very well off the torrents... (over 50K downloads... were that $, I would retire!)

However, that said, I am more than willing to sell off the max file along with the existing code base to anyone who wants it.

Please PM me for price but do be serious... it did cost a fair bit of poke to get it in the air...

That's a real shame Colin. I really hate the pirates. They completely destroy this hobby. At least I can say I enjoy supporting those who create. Thank you for putting the work into this one. I bought it a while back, but I still love it. I hope someone will take you up on your offer. I for one have no talent in that area (testing for me only!). But one day I do hope someone will give it a second chance.

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    For some time I had thought about .....
    Hope you father is doing as well as can be expected.......

If and when you get those afterburner effect out, it will be a welcome addition to this bird.

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Quote Originally Posted by krazycolin View Post
    ......this plane is more than likely not going to get anymore TLC.....
    Fully understand your position, as the time spent on upgrading this bird could be better spent on something like a B-50 bomber......

I guarantee you that a B-50 done to Milviz standards will so popular that it will generate 300,000 + downloads off of the torrents.....

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

Charter Member 2012
    Super Sabre!

No longer active
    +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

OK.....looks like a B-50 is a no-go among the crowd.....

Oh well, it was worth a try.......

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Too bad, Colin, but I understand completely.

I am considering an F-100d. Nice plane and always had a hankering for that... And an F-4 of course...

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    I like the heat effects coming off of the afterburners.. To bad it does not look like that in the simulator as it would take a ton of resources.
    Steve
    FSX Hours: 3000+

Love the F-100 almost as much as the -86! F-4 has been just far too long since it's made any kind of debut in FSX... both are winners.

Thanks Roadburner! I too long for the day we get this...perhaps P3D 2.0?

B-50? I say yes! Especially if we can get the RB and KB versions also, Would be great with the F-100!
    USAFVET
    12 year USAF veteran , Air Trans
    "Life is like herding cats through a fish market".

Members who have read this thread: 64