If this don't beat all

Thread: If this don't beat all

Retired SOH Administrator

If this don't beat all

Yesterday I got a email from Suntrust Bank that stated one of my transaction had been rejected. It had the transaction number...ect..ect. It also had a MS Word DOC. For viewing the transaction if I want to review the transaction. I opened it up and the page was blank and said I need to install Java to view it. Something wasn't right here. I called da wife at the bank and she said Suntrust has never done anything like that to any of their clients. She then asked me for the email address from the sender. Well that was it.....some crap-o-la email. Linda said in all likley hood I downloaded a virus. Lucky for me it didn't open but I formatted my pooter last night. I didn't wanna take a chance. These a-holes are getting smarter and smarter everyday. I should have know better because the only email I get from the bank is when the auto payment was sent. Linda said as far as Suntrust was concerned the person took a good guess that we banked there. I also changed my email address.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

google 'phishing'; and be aware.

ttfn

Pete

HINT: Always hover your mouse over any links and look at the bottom of the screen to see what the real link is!
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    HINT: Always hover your mouse over any links and look at the bottom of the screen to see what the real link is!
    +1. A trick that always displays the true destination.

Understand your bank...

No bank...

Will ever send you correspondence like that.

I suggest scanning your PC the word doc might have contained a virus you did not notice installing.

I have a personal policy regarding any type of email notices from anyone. If I did not contact you then I don't care what you think.

Never ever click on the attachment.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    Even that can be spoofed in the html source. The only true way to find out where you're going is to right-click the link and choose "Copy shortcut" - then open Notepad and paste it in there. The pic below show what's displayed in the status bar as I hover over the link. However, the real URL goes through a Facebook redirect:

http: //www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3 De8jFb1pmHjQ&h=oAQHJI1Fg&s=1

Presumably, FB does this to track outbound clicks...
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    Yeah if I get any kind of emails from my "bank" or even a regular letter I always make sure that I call. I do not click any of the links in the emails, and I do not respond to the letter with any of the info it wants. Usually I call the bank and then either forward the email to their fraud department, or mail in the letter to their fraud department.
    Steve
    FSX Hours: 3000+

I get these emails from time to time. The first one I got did freak me out. How could one of my bank accounts have a rejected transaction? Then I realized I did not even have an account with that bank. Yep, the link tell the rest of the story. It's just a phishing scam.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.