HU: FSX Ryan STA and PT-16 by Swingman...

Thread: HU: FSX Ryan STA and PT-16 by Swingman...

Charter Member 2015

HU: FSX Ryan STA and PT-16 by Swingman...

Just spotted this on Flightsim. Appears to be a native FSX model too

Name: 1936ryanst_fsx_v1_1.zip
    Size: 25,221,111 Date: 10-09-2012 Downloads: 68

FSX 1936 Ryan STA And PT-16 v1.1 ith fixed altimeter. Uses stock FS2004 gauges, effects and sounds. Models and textures by SWingman.

Edit: I can confirm that the model is native FSX format (MDLXMDL)! My thanks to SWingman for this wonderful gift to the community.

Edited the post to point to v1.1
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

The file on flightsim.com seems to have been taken down.

I looked on avsimrus.com as SWingman has previously posted files there and found a version 1.1 of the Ryan (the file on flightsim.com was version 1.0), with a fix for the altimeter.

http://www.avsimrus.com/f/fsx-aircra...-16-46778.html

Hopefully version 1.1 will find its way to flightsim.com in due course.
    "He took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots..."

I see version 1.1 is on Flightsim now.

I have installed this 1.1 version from Flightsim.com and I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of the modelling, especially the virtual cockpit. Here is a quick summary:
    - the external model looks quite good, but the textures are a bit too much reflective. This might be due to the fact that I'm using Banabob's envmaps, which are made for increasing the reflections on metallic surfaces.
    - the virtual cockpit is beautiful. I especially appreciate the fact that the front windshield and the leather part just below are really round, smooth shapes, almost no polygons visible. But from the author's name, this was *almost* expectable :ernae:
    - the virtual cockpit is clickable, but not evertyhing is interactive. For example, you cannot manipulate the flaps lever or the trim with the mouse, you'll have to use the keyboard or other ways.
    - the flight model is quite pleasant, even though I wouldn't be able to tell if it's realistic or not, since I do not know the flying characteristics of the real plane.

In the end, it's trully a great piece of freeware. The download is HIGHLY recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I have installed this 1.1 version from Flightsim.com and I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of the modelling, especially the virtual cockpit. Here is a quick summary:
    - the external model looks quite good, but the textures are a bit too much reflective. This might be due to the fact that I'm using Banabob's envmaps, which are made for increasing the reflections on metallic surfaces.
    - the virtual cockpit is beautiful. I especially appreciate the fact that the front windshield and the leather part just below are really round, smooth shapes, almost no polygons visible. But from the author's name, this was *almost* expectable :ernae:
    - the virtual cockpit is clickable, but not evertyhing is interactive. For example, you cannot manipulate the flaps lever or the trim with the mouse, you'll have to use the keyboard or other ways.
    - the flight model is quite pleasant, even though I wouldn't be able to tell if it's realistic or not, since I do not know the flying characteristics of the real plane.

In the end, it's trully a great piece of freeware. The download is HIGHLY recommended.
    +1:salute:
    Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Oh, that's AWESOME! Downloading now.

This looks like it'd be a great target for repaints, too... Though some would have to be a bit fictionalized since it looks like the STN was the more-produced version and the author clearly states not to ask for one of those.

Most amusing was the version the Navy had, where they clipped the wings, downrated the engine, and put a small nose wheel on to keep it from nosing over, and used it to train cadets how to taxi.

Wonderful! Thank you SWingman! :salute:

Brian

I like! Does it come with paint templates by chance?

It's really a beautiful model. I just had a very pleasant flight around Darrington, made some screenies to share
    One thing I appreciate a lot on this bird is the adequate amount of polygons used to make the round shapes in the VC smooth enough. :ernae:

That look spectacular. I'll get that one myself!
    Chanks for the HU.

R.
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

It's an excellent plane, especially the vc. The vc is actually much better than the payware version that I've got. I do think sometimes that I could have had just as much fun in FSX just sticking to the fantastic freeware aircraft and scenery and saved myself an awful lot of money!
    Dave
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    It's really a beautiful model............ One thing I appreciate a lot on this bird is the adequate amount of polygons used to make the round shapes in the VC smooth enough. :ernae:

Completely agree with that, so many nice models are let down by a paucity of polygons just where you look 90% of the time.

Just grabbed it. Thanks for the heads-up!
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

Quote Originally Posted by thefrog View Post
    It's an excellent plane, especially the vc. The vc is actually much better than the payware version that I've got. I do think sometimes that I could have had just as much fun in FSX just sticking to the fantastic freeware aircraft and scenery and saved myself an awful lot of money!
    Dave

In this case - ditto!
    Cheers,
    Dave

It also works in Prepar3d for those interested.

I saw the topic about the FS9 version. It looks like a single seater version was included, but it's not included in this FSX package ?

Alex is currently finishing up a reworked version of that model for FSX - it sounds like it will be available soon.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Members who have read this thread: 109