Specular Testing For FS9 Only

Thread: Specular Testing For FS9 Only

Specular Testing For FS9 Only

I decided to revisit FS9 specular testing since its been 7 years since my last one.

I created a series of 3 shapes, cube, sphere, and cylinder to help evaluate the results.
    Each object set has its own material assigned for different specular values and bmp.

I have two groups of objects, one with simple specular settings from 0 to 70 in 10's increments.
    Bmp name = darkgray.bmp with white 255, 255, 255 alpha.

The other has the same specular settings but with glossiness using 230, 230, 230 alpha channel to evaluate the impact of glossiness on specular lighting. Bmp name = darkgray_t.bmp with a 230, 230, 230 alpha.

The tests were made on June 21 at 12 Noon for brightest sun to best see specular variations and enhance angled viewing.

Late day sun is typically more harsh for specular settings.

The secondary objective is to find a setting on specular that is not overly wide, bright, and harsh, but not too soft (as that is a washout on flat surfaces).

Note that a specular value of 0 has no sun glare or reflectivity... basically a dead texture. High Specular values are tight, bright, and harsh. A low value (10) is soft but wide-spread washing out colors and details on flatter surfaces. Check Ikea Catalogue and innovations Catalogue.A value around 30 seems to be the best compromise.

Here are the results.

Keep in mind that dark and light colors can make specular appear differently.

I have packaged up the materials, gmax source, makemdl settings, and Test Aircraft and uploaded so you make do you own tests easily.
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; April 6th, 2014 at 10:42.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Two more pics ... the last shows one of the unique materials assigned to this set with a specular value of 30.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

This is very good for cutting down trial-and-error during initial testing as to what specular value to assign for a material.