Scenery Object LODS ?

Thread: Scenery Object LODS ?

Scenery Object LODS ?

If I'm creating scenery objects for FS2004 in FSDS and they're fairly heavy in poly's, can I use LODS for scenery object files to lessen the load?

Do LODS work on scenery objects in FS2004 or is that only for aircraft models?

Thanks in advance

Gary

Hi Gary,

Yes for GMAX. The building tutorial in the FS2004 GMAX gamepack "docs" folder describes how to.

"C:\gmax\gamepacks\fs2004\docs\gmaxSceneryTutorial .doc"

I would gather it would be similar for FSDS, but I haven't tried it in that tool and don't know the specific steps there.

The tutorial is part of the FS2004 SDK

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555857

download is "fs2004_sdk_gmax_setup.exe" -- scroll down to the bottom of the list -- that is the gamepack including the tutorials and other FS2004 components to plug in to GMAX. There are a half-dozen or so tutorials included, I think you ought to be able to set up the SDK even if you don't use GMAX.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by java2srv View Post
    Hi Gary,

Yes for GMAX. The building tutorial in the FS2004 GMAX gamepack "docs" folder describes how to.

"C:\gmax\gamepacks\fs2004\docs\gmaxSceneryTutorial .doc"

I would gather it would be similar for FSDS, but I haven't tried it in that tool and don't know the specific steps there.

The tutorial is part of the FS2004 SDK

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555857

download is "fs2004_sdk_gmax_setup.exe" -- scroll down to the bottom of the list -- that is the gamepack including the tutorials and other FS2004 components to plug in to GMAX. There are a half-dozen or so tutorials included, I think you ought to be able to set up the SDK even if you don't use GMAX.

Jack
    Thanks Jack

Of course I'm using FSDS so I guess I'll have to experiment some more.
    I tried setting it up with different colored boxes for different LODS to test, but it wasnt showing up as it should.
    But from what you're saying FS2004 does use LODS in scenery MDL's.
    I'll take a look at the SDK as you suggest.

Perhaps someone who is an FSDS Guru could help to explain the process. (FSDSV3).

I'm making Cardington airfield circa 1929. The hangars are huge and I've modelled all the framework inside and out, windows, lighting etc etc. Opening doors with the help of Arno's CAT program ... there's just lots to it for a scenery object.
    With all the other objects to place I wanted to use LODS to make it all as frame rate freindly as possible.

Best wishes

Gary

FS2004 Scenery MDL LODS

I dont get it - struggling to figure this out

If you look at the below attachment, I've got my LODS set up in the model manager and named according to the SDK.
    But no joy. The only model showing in FS2004 is the main model.

On the model manager, there are boxes to enter values for Level of detail for meters and pixels ??

Could anyone advise what should be entered into this area and if I've named it correctly ??

Thanks all. Appreciate any and all help.

Gary

I'm afraid I can't help you with your problem Gary, but your hangar look absolutely stunning!

Huub

harleyman
    I second that...Nice looking hanger....:friday:

Hi Mate
    not 100% sure but think lod's where broken in fsds3 for scenery.Not even sure if it was fixed in 3.5 as I havent done any scenery
    I do know it works fine for aircraft so maybe compile as an aircraft then use the mdl/asm files then compile it into a scenery project?
    cheers
    Wozza
    The source code for Vista may very well be the longest suicide note in history

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza View Post
    Hi Mate
    not 100% sure but think lod's where broken in fsds3 for scenery.Not even sure if it was fixed in 3.5 as I havent done any scenery
    I do know it works fine for aircraft so maybe compile as an aircraft then use the mdl/asm files then compile it into a scenery project?
    cheers
    Wozza
    Thanks Wozza

I've been reading in the forums of others struggling with LODS with FSDSV3 so I think you're right when you say it's broken.

Aircraft MDL's dont work as scenery objects so I'll look into the asm file as you suggest - FSDS creates one, but also thinking it's maybe time for me to get my head around the Gmax learning curve .......

Best

Gary

Hi
    You should be able to do it manually just not sure of the exact method as I havnt really played with scenery.Have a look for a user called noshades here and shoot him a pm he should know if there is a way
    cheers
    Wozza
    The source code for Vista may very well be the longest suicide note in history

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza View Post
    Hi
    You should be able to do it manually just not sure of the exact method as I havnt really played with scenery.Have a look for a user called noshades here and shoot him a pm he should know if there is a way
    cheers
    Wozza
    Thanks Wozza

Appreciate your help and direction :ernae:

Members who have read this thread: 0