FSX Acceleration P-51

Thread: FSX Acceleration P-51

warnc

FSX Acceleration P-51

Hi everyone !

I use a mouse to control my aircraft in flight and on the ground. It is impossible to steer the p-51 on the ground with my mouse or to take off in a straight line. I know it is made to pull to the left like the real thing, but no matter how much i try and steer to the right with the mouse it still goes way left. I have tried locking and unlocking the tail wheel to no avail. Is there something wrong in the configuration file or is this just the way it is.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks and happy flying
    WC :isadizzy:

Charter Member 09
    It sounds as though your being a little brutal with your throttle settings. Bring the throttle on at a moderate speed as you correct for torque. It's a hand/eye type of thing. All airplanes enjoy a gentle hand.
    The worse ones are the P-51, the Spitfire and the Corsair and it's their long noses that gives the torque a moment arm.
    On taxiing, I can only say keep enough throttle to keep her moving, hold the brakes and apply some rudder and let go the brakes intermittently. Again, this will take some practice.
    Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.

Blog Entries
    Helldiver is right ...it is a combination at first start of intermittent right brake and rudder when set a full realistic-give yourself a better chance by using a either a joystick with rudder capability or rudder pedals and you will find the job to be much easier to manage.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

tigisfat
    All three of you are right. A P-51 pilot told me last year that the Acceleration P-51 was rediculously too hard. He said that if they backed off on the lurching the brakes caused and gave it a little more rudder authority, then it'd be better.

warnc
    Thanks guys will give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by tigisfat View Post
    the lurching the brakes caused

all the planes i have act this way, you get full on or full of with the brakes, no in between. i have no idea how they would correct that but it sure would be cool to eliminate that lurching.

Something to remember with the Accel P-51 is that it IS (Clintonan emphasis) a racer with far more power than the stock airplane, as such it will also have a greater P-factor and torque reaction.

Cheers: t.

too much throttle -

this plane needs less than 50% throttle to take off and you have to keep it in the green on the RPM meter or you will fry the motor.

at takeoff throttle - (RPM in the green) - this plane will reply properly to rudder input and will not skate off the runway unless you fail to line it up properly or rush the throttle forward.

It flies beautifully once airborne and properly trimmed for hands off straight and level, prop pitch and mixture adjusted etc...
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Sim-Outhouse Round-The-World Racer
    From Barry Schiff:

I rechecked rudder trim: 6 degrees right. The canopy was locked, engine-coolant temperature was in the green, boost pump was on, and the mighty Merlin was feeding from the left tank.

Toe brakes firmly applied, I advanced the throttle to 2,300 rpm and 30 inches of manifold pressure. The Mustang trembled slightly as if champing at the bit, impatient to be cut loose.

Brakes released, we began to accelerate, and I kept my feet dancing to arrest directional transgressions. As airflow increased across the rudder, I advanced the throttle to 3,000 rpm and 40 inches. (The geared propeller turns at only 1,437 rpm.) I held the stick fully aft to keep the tailwheel on the ground and assist with tracking. I had been taught that the best way to maintain directional control is to increase power in steps as control effectiveness increases.

At 50 knots I slowly but forcefully pushed the stick forward. The end of the runway came into view, and I increased power to 55 inches (120 gallons per hour of fuel flow). I began to appreciate why the British (for whom the P-51 was developed) called this airplane a Mustang, a wild stallion of the American prairie. The unbridled acceleration, energy, and noise level are startling and impressive.

Although 61 inches of manifold pressure are available for takeoff, I was not ready for the combination of twisting and turning forces that accompany 1,490 horsepower slinging that huge propeller. (Torque alone is impressive and causes the left tire to wear much faster than the right.) A takeoff using maximum power could wait until I had more experience.

Besides, a lightly loaded Mustang inspired by 55 inches of manifold pressure performs better than a wartime edition loaded with armament and drop tanks using 61 inches. During emergencies, combat pilots could pull 67 inches (1,720 horsepower), and modified Mustangs racing at Reno develop as much as 155 inches.

I raised the nose at 100 knots and the Mustang was airborne immediately unlike any other piston-powered single I had ever flown. With landing gear retracted, the climb at takeoff power is exhilarating, almost 4,000 fpm.
    I was relieved to discover that it takes less right-rudder pressure during initial climb than a Cessna 210. The immediate goal, though, was to accelerate to the best glide speed of 150 knots, just in case.

Fly it like this (don't forget the rudder trim) and she's a dream.

warnc
    Thanks for everyones help. My biggest problem was giving her too much throttle on takeoff.

Happy Flying and thanks again