Jumping from a B17

Thread: Jumping from a B17

Jumping from a B17

<iframe src="http://www.dumpert.nl/embed/6363061/d167fb4d/" class="dumpertembed" frameborder="0" height="272" width="480"></iframe>
    Would be nice to do sometime.
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

Oh yeah! I'd love to have a B-17 listed in my jump log.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

A brilliant music. A shame it was spoilt by mindless video, as seems the norm these days.....

Graham.

Chapel Hill, NC and the Texas Hill Country
    Just stick with your knitting Graham.....everything will be just fine.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....

It's about learning

to dance in the rain.

I've flown on Nine-O-Nine, no way I'd jump out of her unless the wing was on fire.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

We were trying to get a Dakota over here to jump Static Line as a leased platform last year (TICO Belle out of Titusville).

You'd appreciate Jadflieger, that the unit I work for uses USASOC's SOP for Airborne Ops (we share parachutes, riggers, and support with USSOCOM and SOCCENT). The whole thing got held up because apparently USASOC is reviewing the procedures for the C-47 and that left us out in the cold.

Kind of ironic that you can't jump the original jump platform for all U.S. Airborne forces.

Obviously being a civilian now I can't jump military anything, but I was looking forward to flying around in it. Unfortunately I was never given the opportunity to jump a C-47 when I was on active duty.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

C-47s

Man, I know what you mean. When I was at HALO school we were supposed to get a C-47 in for some of the jumps, but it didn't get to Fort Bragg due to mechanical problems. I always wanted to jump the plane that made the Airborne. Some of my friends at SOCEUR got to jump C-47s when they made the jumps for D-Day and Market Garden anniversaries.

My brother, a Smokejumper for the US Forest Service, jumped the C-47 many times back in the 70s before a jump injury put back on the ground for the rest of his career.

By the way, the signature picture below shows my son, second jumper out, at jump school earlier this year. I pinned his "blood wings" on him at Eubanks Field on graduation day.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Charter Member 2015
    Pretty novel way to jump from a B-17....must be where the name "meat-bomb" originates from!
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

It's not really a novel way to bail out of a B-17. WW II crews would bail out through the bomb bay as it was a big opening and well away from the props as well as the vertical and horizontal stabilizers.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I was thinking that instead of jumping out, they ought to stack jumpers laying down on the bomb racks, open the bay doors and release them in a stick... You could get more than just three jumpers that way - release 14 of them at once or something.

Members who have read this thread: 37