Lunar Flight 'simulator' - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lunar Flight 'simulator'

Other maps?

I am at level 2 on equipment, but I don't understand something: It says all the maps are unlocked, but how do I actually switch to a different one?

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratermaker View Post
    I am at level 2 on equipment, but I don't understand something: It says all the maps are unlocked, but how do I actually switch to a different one?
    Congrats! Flies a heck of a lot better, eh?

I have no idea on the maps. Maybe the missions change at a certain point.

I just did my first couple of lost cargo runs. First was very fast and easy, but the second took 2 jumps to a refuel station then back and finally found the dang thing right in the center of the crater base in the valley. Both loads were 8000 LBs. Nice funds.
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

SOH-CM-2014
    Dain, you werent kidding.

Ive been doing 'lost cargo' missions and just did two on top of the crater at its outer rim. That is a deep crater.....

I had to refuel on one as I went to the wrong base (some how) when trying to deliver the cargo.

Sue, you can plug in VOR links via the Map, then fly to that base, to practice flying and landings. Also, I suggest the aux fuel tank purchases. 1,000 credits, but well worth it. I think it will fully fuel your tank. I believe also the emergency gyro you can buy (sticks into the 3 button thing on the top right) will help you when you get into a tumble effect during a flight. I just realized what it was for and bought it...

Pretty good fun. (now that I know how to fly without crashing and spinning and making craters... arrgh).

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

OH.... hit "ESC" while in the lander, select maps from the pop up menu. I'm trying the 2nd one now. "Intermediate" it says. More natural looking terrain in that one. Things are bit farther apart too.

SOH-CM-2014
    OH.... hit "ESC" while in the lander, select maps from the pop up menu. I'm trying the 2nd one now. "Intermediate" it says. More natural looking terrain in that one. Things are bit farther apart too.

Cool! Thanks for the heads up.

Bill

SOH-CM-2014
    Whoa...... I jumped from Map 1 to Map 4; Mars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went there without going to the other levels. One jumps from missions that are 350 to 550 meters, up to 2500 meters, and you fly through dust storms! ack!!!!!!!!!

Can you believe I made it on the first flight, farthest distance. Luckily I had my aux fuel tank, which I think is about 1/2 a tank. I might get two Aux tanks (if I can do that) just in case. Looks like you would use that giant thrust option (click and burn) that runs for like 5 seconds, 300% boost for doing long jumps on Mars. Dang.... What a change. Blue skies and dust storms, lol..... And you are much more heavier. I was fighting a head wind landing at this last base, trying to land.

Bill

Anime Adoring Aviator
    I have been playing this game for some time now and it is really fun. A good mix between realism and arcade and a real challenge. You really have to focus and be gentle to keep the lander from spinning out of control.

For better control I suggest you use an Xbox 360 controller. The game recognizes it, and there is a keychart for it in the manual. I tried my joystick first but I was all over the place constantly overcorrecting. With the Xbox 360 controller you can make really small adjustments by tapping the thumbsticks.

SOH-CM-2014
    Thanks Alain for the heads up. For me, using my joystick was also totally useless. Ive become pretty good with my fingers on the keyboard. The third level addon equipment also really help out in keeping my craft form spiraling around.

Bill

Agreed on the 360 controller. I have all the achievements now. I just did a "lost cargo" mission on mars. Had to go halfway across the map to find it, far away from other bases, only to find it weighed 12,000 lbs!! Had to go back and refuel at the original base. Winds were VERY heavy. Had < 100 fuel left. Destination was on the other side of the map. Diagonally. Purchased "drop tanks" and man, did I need them! At the destination, there was a down draft or something. Sometimes, even at 100% thrust, I couldn't slow my decent rate!

SOH-CM-2014
    Agreed on the 360 controller. I have all the achievements now. I just did a "lost cargo" mission on mars. Had to go halfway across the map to find it, far away from other bases, only to find it weighed 12,000 lbs!! Had to go back and refuel at the original base. Winds were VERY heavy. Had < 100 fuel left. Destination was on the other side of the map. Diagonally. Purchased "drop tanks" and man, did I need them! At the destination, there was a down draft or something. Sometimes, even at 100% thrust, I couldn't slow my decent rate!

Dang! I need some destressing, not something that will have me sweating bullets, lol...

Thanks for the heads up.

SOH-CM-2014
    I took a mini vacation from this sim. Went back last night and did a couple of flights. One flight, I had a forward angle of nearly 40, was rocketing accross the horizon, and thought I had plenty of time to descend and land and slow down. I was doing something like 10 meters per second, lol... Came in way high over the cliffs of Mars just before Delta base (top right). Had to come in straight down while negotiating a dust storm which helped me slow down but zero viz. 8,000 LB payload! Made it.

Pretty fun.

Those 'lost cargo' missions on Mars are CRAZY!

I suck at this game!

What is the trick to getting the Xbox 360 controller to work? I hooked up the controller via my charging cable that usually attaches to my 360, installed the driver software from MS, but I can't get it to do anything.
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gdavis101 View Post
    I suck at this game!

What is the trick to getting the Xbox 360 controller to work? I hooked up the controller via my charging cable that usually attaches to my 360, installed the driver software from MS, but I can't get it to do anything.

Gene,

I have no idea. I use the keyboard. I tried linking my X52 to it, but it was horrible. Carnage everywhere. For me, taps of burst on the keys work brilliant. I have to disconnect my joystic before using the game. Last night, I accidentally had the joystick linked in and each time my sim started a scene, my lander did a vertical doughnut and wrecked each time. FInally figured out it was the joystick.

Watch the movie at YouTube that I posted. That shows you much about how to do a good flight and landing. Start at making level flights via that first map zone. Never touch the rotation keys (arrow keys) if at all possible, until you are upgraded to the highest level. Low level basic, you will just crash. Keep it level and fly straight. Balanced zero lift on your main engine is key importance; (LOPTW chart).

Later, you learn to take off at full thrust, then adjust down as you cliimb, then when you have gyro enhancements, you can lean forward and let the main engine drive you to speeds of 10 MPS. Until then though, 2 MPS to 3.5 MPS in that small crater zone is very fast.

Bill