Help ID Old Douglas 4E That Over Flew My Home

Thread: Help ID Old Douglas 4E That Over Flew My Home

Help ID Old Douglas 4E That Over Flew My Home

This one has me stumped.

Two days ago, After just after getting home from work, I heard the distinct sound of 4 big props heading my way.

By the time I made it outside, the aircraft which was either a DC-6 or 7 was already heading away about 2 blocks north of my home. I didn't get look at the side but as best I could tell the entire tail area was green or dark blue-green. It looked like it had to big initials on the tail, "EH". The letters looked staggered on the tail with the "E" being higher up.

I spent the last few days trying to find pics of currently flying aircraft but none come close to the tail color and markings that I think I saw.

Since it was at a very low altitude and in landing config and in about the right position, I thought it might be heading into KVNC. I drove by the airport on the way to work yesterday, but it was still really dark. Even if it had been sitting there on the ramp, I probably wouldn't have seen it. A couple of calls to the airport turned up no answers.

Mystery vintage Douglas sneaking around Fla.

FAc

More likely a DC-6 than a -7. The 6 was more economical to operate and lasted longer in service than the 7s.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Willy

My first thoughts was a 6. I threw a 7 in there when looking for photos, as a just-in-case.

By the time I got outside, I was looking at a 3/4 right side rear view.

FAC

Where are you? There's a DC-7 operating in the Miami area that flies to various parts of South Florida. You can actually book a flight.

http://www.miami-airport.com/dc7.asp
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

The first time I heard they were going to offer those flights, I wanted to go do that.

It's funny you bring that aircraft up as I think it's an Opa Locka based Douglas.

When I saw the one the other day, I wondered if that's were it's home base might be.

I've been thru airliners.net a few times and I haven't found anything that matches the bits of a paint job that I did see.

FAC