V(S)TOL, Harriers, and other stuff...My POV.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V(S)TOL, Harriers, and other stuff...My POV.

V(S)TOL, Harriers, and other stuff...My POV.

Hi All, (sorry, long post if you care to read it)

First, a short introduction. Which might explain why I start this thread.

For those of you who don't know me (Rob Barendregt) and what I do:
    I am a FS9/X developper of all kinds of freeware, mainly "control gauges" type-of-stuff.
    With the accent on anything that has to with V(S)TOL, VTOL, STOVL or any abbreviation you like to use.
    Spending, on average, about 2-3 hours each day on development and support on these addons, for the past 10 years.
    Be it for seperate freeware addon's to other (default, freeware or payware) aircraft, or part of a (freeware or payware) aircraft
    from another designer / design team.
    And since 4 years, I chose to ask no financial compensation for any of my effort when I contribute to payware aircraft.
    WHY I do this for free, isn't relevant; call it "love for the hobby" , the "technical challenge", or whatever.
    But it makes me independant in doing what I like most (implementation), because I don't have any commercial/financial interrest
    whatsoever in any of these aircraft addons, or any flightsim business.

That said:
    (For simplicity: I'll use the abbr. "VTOL" from now on).

The reason I write this post:
    Lately, I've seen several simmers in this (and other forums) argue that "he/she finds every VTOL implementation made for FSX not
    more then a gimmick", or words to that effect. With terms like "robotic", "not-realistic", etc etc.
    I've made dozens by now, for almost any real of imaginary aircraft (other then helicopters), that I know of made as FS9/X addon.
    Either on my own initiative, or when being asked by another designer or flightsimmer.
    Starting with the old FS9 IRIS and FS9 UKMIL Harriers, and lately as part of Wilco's (Bazzar's) Harrier and Tiltrotor, Dino's F35B
    and the SSW Harrier.

So, I obviously feel addressed by such comments

As a sidenote, to avoid any confusion:
    - Razbam and Justflight decided to make their own VTOL implementation for their Harrier addon's.
    I can't (and won't) comment on them, since I don't have these addon's. I can only comment/explain MY approach to VTOL.
    - My VTOL implementation in the freeware UKMIL Harrier (summer 2011) is a very old one, which (to date) I find under-par myself.
    Although I offered my help to bring it up to my latest "standards", UKMIL decided not to wait with their release untill I had the
    time for this (sorry, even MY time for FS-design is limited). No problem for me.

A second sidenote:
    The above might sound pedantic; as if I would be the only person in the world capable of implementing this "impossible" VTOL in
    FSX.
    - Am I ? No, certainly not.
    - Will someone come with better solutions ? No doubt.
    - Is my solution perfect ? No.
    - Do I feel my latest implementations are "believable" ? Yes, I do. I'll explain further on, why.
    Only very few designers (all having my respect) have the guts to address the "impossible" VTOL problem; I'm just one of them, and
    feel the need to give MY opinion.

And as a third sidenote:
    My post is about VTOL functionality only; NOT about the overall quality of available VTOL-capable addon aircraft, including
    Harriers.
    Because, what "quality" is, is very subjective.
    Comparing various (e.g. Harrier) addons, is pointless unless you state how you weigh the various factors on what YOU feel are
    important in an addon. Which is personal preferance.
    See my post #7 in the recent thread subjected "VTOL HARRIERS".
    As an example (I know I'm on very thin ice here, and it's very dangerous to make generalisations): if someone would ask me to make a
    comparison between the two lastest Harrier products available now, based on public available info and (biassed) opinions, and in
    positive-only terms:
    - Razbam Harrier: great visual model and VC.
    - SSW Harrier: great systems/flight modelling and multi-player capabilities.
    Which proves my point about perceived "quality" and "best", I hope

Now, back to the "gimmick", "robotic" and "not-realistic" qualifications.
    Reading such statements, I challenge anyone to describe why you feel that.
    Of course, based on anything with MY implementation of VTOL in it.
    In fact, I would welcome the critique, because it helps improving what I design, and give back to the FS community.

But before you react:
    1. Make sure you've got your facts straight.
    Comments like "it doesn't *feel* like a hovering Harrier" are meaningless and useless. Be specific.
    Although I'm an arm-chair pilot in military aircraft, I've read/watched many Internet documents, pictures or movies I could get my
    hands on, as far as VTOL is concerned.
    2. My VTOL stuff is a continous development, which (I hope) gets better and more realistic in time.
    So refering to an 5-year old version is pointless.
    3. Please read, and try to understand, my explanation on VTOL implementations in FSX, below.
    Because there is a very grey and wide area between a "gimmick" and "fully realistic behaviour"; the bounderies of which are
    mostly determined by one's expectations.

(DISCLAIMER: I'm NOT talking about Helicopter models here).

So, a bit more in-depth on VTOL.
    There's only ONE fact; the rest is my opinion:
    MS-FS (FS-0 upto FSX-Accelleration) doesn't know the concept of anything other than longitudinal (== backward) thrust for
    jet-engines. Period.
    Meaning that anyone (including me) claiming to have found a way to tweak/configure the FSX FDE (FlightDynamicsEngine) in a way it
    changes thrust direction (vectored thrust), is wrong.
    One can influence this FDE (in .air files and aircraft.cfg files) by things like exceptional airodynamic lift and drag, using dummy
    engines, or whatever, to realise VTOL; but that's it.

IMHO, and untill proven otherwise, the only way to emulate anything other then longitudinal thrust, is to "fool" FSX.
    Example: with some programming tricks, you can instruct an aircraft to go straight up or down, so it LOOKS like vertical thrust.

Now, FSX doesn't allow you to implement your own FDE; the best one can do is to configure the FSX FDE (which has a hudge set of
    parameters), but that is limited by what the designers of FSX have anticipated; IMHO, that won't allow one to create any believable VTOL
    functionality without some hugh (to me: unacceptable) limitations and side-effects.
    Like the famous "Superflaps" solution.

And since you cannot "replace" the basic FDE in FSX, the only way is to "override" the FSX FDE-calculated flight behaviour.
    But even that has it's limitations, because FSX tries to "fight" that.
    How I do it in my implementations: based on actual flight state and controller inputs, I re-calculate (in gauge code) parameters
    for things like longitudinal/lateral/vertical speed, pitch/bank attitude, altitude, etc.. and override the FSX-calculated values
    with my calculated parameters.
    Sounds simple, but it isn't .
    Because, in effect, it's writing new flight physics in gauge code. And is limited by what one programs and how FSX reacts on it.

Since my time is limited, I focus on normal flight procedures.
    An example on this for a Harrier:
    If you try to fly "inverted" with nozzles vertical, full throttle and low airspeed, my guess is that a real Harrier will go into an
    uncontrollable and unrecoverable crash; allthough in my latest implementations I try to implement some logic for it, it's nowhere
    near what would happen IRL. Because it's guessing, solong as nobody has video footage of such a maneuver; or is a real Harrier pilot.

I've come to the conclusion it's not worth the effort; in future implementations, in such a situation, I'll just switch off my
    control and let the FSX FDE decide how to crash it
    - If you call that "not-realistic": so be it; I fact, I agree.
    - Is that aspect of the simulation important ? Not to me; but that's my opinion, and have yours.

Another thing I want to address:
    It may sound funny, but implementing VTOL for a Harrier is far more complex then e.g. for a FBW aircraft like a F35B.
    Based on how I do it, somelike like "hovering" a F35B, is far more easy to emulate, since the FBW automation prevents wrong pilot
    actions
    Main restriction here, is lack of proper documentation on how a real F35B pilot actually controls the aircraft; pictures and
    you-tube video's explain a lot, but only the most common controls and behaviour; the rest is based on educated-guessing.

And another one: the issue of "transition" effects.
    As explained, my VTOL solution is based on overriding FSX-calculated parameters; meaning that there are "transition" effects when
    these controls are switched On and Off. Because FSX doesn't "like" that.
    The art is to make them as un-noticeable as possible.
    But if you know where to look, you 'll be able to spot that in my VTOL implementations; as I'm convinced, you'll find that in any other
    implementation that simulates VTOL.

Last examples (from the SSW Harrier):
    1. Emulation of the pilot using the STO-lever, and simulation of the ability to "lift" it over the VTO-stop and set STO-stop.
    2. Calculated Max. VTOL-weight, dependant a.o. Altitude and water-inject derived from (I admit) simplified real-world data.
    3. Emulation of Ground effect in a hover.
    Are these important features ?
    To me, as a designer and simmer, they are. Much more important then a perfect visual nose, or 20 liveries.
    Because VTOL is what makes a Harrier such a unique aircraft; so such details are important.
    But again, that's only MY opinion; your's may differ.

Hope the above gives you some insight.
    Again, I can only comment on how I do it, and what I implement in various addons.
    If you STILL feel VTOL in FSX is just a "gimmick": I have no problem with that. You are entitled to your opinion
    BUT: be fair then, and explain what you miss or what, in your opinion, is not realistic.
    And as long as you realise that "Realistic" is only determined by what your (my) standards are, and what you (I) feel is important in a
    simulation.

Best regards, Rob Barendregt

PS:
    I'm Dutch, English is not my native language.
    So if anything I write strikes you as odd, or maybe even offensive: that is certainly not my intention.
    I just don't master all the fine nuances of the English language.
    But I'll gladly communicate in Dutch if you prefer ...

i dont operate "VTOL" aircraft of helicotpers myself..but nice post,well writen and well explaened

I think you did a superb job with Dino's F35... I love playing around with the module
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Quote Originally Posted by rcbarend View Post
    Hi All, (sorry, long post if you care to read it)
    Last examples (from the SSW Harrier):
    1. Emulation of the pilot using the STO-lever, and simulation of the ability to "lift" it over the VTO-stop and set STO-stop.
    2. Calculated Max. VTOL-weight, dependant a.o. Altitude and water-inject derived from (I admit) simplified real-world data.
    3. Emulation of Ground effect in a hover.
    Are these important features ?
    To me, as a designer and simmer, they are. Much more important then a perfect visual nose, or 20 liveries.
    Because VTOL is what makes a Harrier such a unique aircraft; so such details are important.
    But again, that's only MY opinion; your's may differ.

Best regards, Rob Barendregt...
    Rob Thanks and to all developers building these brilliant models , the Wilco is my first flight sim VTOL fix wing aircraft model and got this one duly to the detail but course having technical books on the shelf makes it extra interesting and following the history , I put Helicopters into a different category as rotor wing but all first time RAF Harrier pilots were rotor trained ,so I approach all newly brought FS aircraft as a test pilot - both go hand in hand , i then pull out the books and away i go .

As i said before in the recent post , as a airport and scenery design this was the ideal model to get from one place to another to check my work and to get the feel of the scenery ... I never Slew , this keeps a square head on your shoulders getting the best of both worlds.

Cheers Ian

Rob, i certainly appreciate all you have done for VTOl in Flightsim, especially in my models. Yes, I could have waited in my latest GR7 for your newer version, but I also have timescales, and had to get onto other projects, so decided to release with your old version, which I was, and still is happy with. I will be happy to work with you, a re-do them with your new version if you wish

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Rob, I've used your vtol gauge wizardry from the very earliest versions up til now, and although they problably aren't perfect (But I dare anyone to name one thing in FsX that is...!) they have given me many hours of entertainment. The first time I was able to really hover the old Alphasim Osprey instead of flying it very slowly was a revelation, and even these days when I hover Dino's F-35 and watch it automatically compensate for winds I'm still impressed.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Rob I like what you did for the Wilco Harrier and Dinos F35... very happy with those. Thanks

Matt

"...But it makes me independant in doing what I like most (implementation), because I don't have any commercial/financial interrest
    whatsoever in any of these aircraft addons, or any flightsim business..."

(independent, no interests)

Rob for President, now!

A very polite, humile, qualified, brilliant, thoughtful lesson of style.

Many thanks.

(p.s.: I'm still seldom flying with my old bugsy Wilco; should I buy a new one? uhmmm...it crashes so well on Ark's Royal's deck ...)

Hi Rob,
    You have made my day for many years !
    You're THE vtol guru !!

Mat

I'd liketo echo what has already been said, and thank you for your VTOL work (and all your other stuff).
    From the Iris Harrier through to Dinos F35 and many inbetween, you've made these aircraft work as they are suposed to.

Thanks.:salute:

@Rob

Once again, I want to thank you for the outstanding contribution to the F-35 project and the whole FSX community along all these years, and I am looking forward to your contibution to the new F-14D! I am still working on the external model...and a small wish list of special functionalities for which I will surely need your help.

Thanks Rob for this thread that clarify a lot of things about VTOL, in an easy and professional way.
    And thanks for your magnificient contributions to make this capability possible in different models, despite FSX limits.
    You have all my appreciation, cheers :salute:

Rob, your guages have brought many a time a happy harrier flight! even from the old version of your gauges to the Wilco and F-35 versions! There diffinatly is an improvement since then and hopefully this will continue!

I did not like the WILCO Harrier much and eventually deleted it. The latest Harrier to be released I flew for a week and its already mothballed. Last night I reloaded the Wilco Harrier and its fantastic! What was I thinking?
    I guess I needed another vtol to use a a baseline. That said if the latest Harrier integrated your module I would buy it again just so I could enjoy flying it.
    Make it happen.

You've taken gimmack the wrong way. Your gauges work well, there have been no problem with your gauges and they've made flying some cool VTOL aircraft possible in FSX. The Alphasim Osprey is very enjoyable to fly with your gauge, and so is the SSW Harrier. (Only complaint about things like this, is for example with the Osprey, during transition you have to learn how to play with the throttles during some of the transitions to where they don't shoot skyward or drop. Which is unlike the actual aircraft. That is where the gimmack word comes from). They're a lot more enjoyable to fly than the new Harrier, which in the other direction tried to come as close to the real thing as possiblr yet is full of bugs. Which, by the way, was the only VTOL aircraft in the discussion I saw anyone attribute the word robotic to (for the ratcheting pitch oscillations while hovering). Never saw anyone say your gauges caused robotic behavior.

Yes, a long post Rob but what an excellent and well thought out thread! A real pleasure to read and easy to understand.

I think your post was a real 'leveller' - in other words it set things good and straight regarding perceived VTOL etc. limitations in FSX.

I can clearly recall flying Adam Preece's Harrier with your gauge equipment [was it really 2004...] and being completely blown away.

I now have the Wilco Harrier, Virtavia Osprey, F-35 and SSW Harrier - aren't we a spoilt lot

Keep up the great work.

Dave :salute:

Rob,

I too love your gauges and thank you for all the hard work and dedication you have given to the sim so the rest of us can enjoy it even more.

Great explanation on the limits and quirks of VSTOL flight in MS Flight Sim.

-G-
    Visit my website www.scale-aviation.com

Hi All,

Although the reason for my OP wasn't a fishing expedition for compliments , thanks anyway for all the kind words. Much appreciated...!!
    I have two additional remarks on a few things said in this thread sofar.

They're a lot more enjoyable to fly than the new Harrier, which in the other direction tried to come as close to the real thing as possible ....
    Getting as close to real thing as possible, is my goal is too ...
    But the focus in my type-of solution is on normal procedure only; as explained, I have stopped bothering about the "crash-simulation" aspect of VTOL, because I feel it's not worth the effort.
    Trying to implement a solution that simulates both aspects as-real-as possible, becomes so complex, that it might be a bridge too far in FSX. Time will tell.
    I want to avoid that trying to implement a realistic behaviour resulting from "illegal" (but possible) pilot action goes at the expense of "normal" procedure. That's a design choice.

Example: Suppose that a Harrier is in a stable hover at sufficient altitude, and the pilot instantaneously slams the nozzles to full horizontal position.
    My guess is (but correct me if I'm wrong) a real Harrier will spin into an unrecoverable crash.
    In my older VTOL implementations, I just let it accellerate smoothly; in newer versions it will sink like a rock, but remains controllable.
    Probably not realistic too; but to simulate the exact real behaviour is beyond my design goals (even IF I would know what the exact behaviour would be).

2. As to V22 Ospreys (Alphasim/Virtavia) and it's derivate BA609 Tiltrotor (Wilco).
    In earlier implementations, I only implemented the additional VTOL control when nacelles where rotated fully vertical.
    Meaning that there may be considerable transition effects visible in the conversion, depending how you perform this conversion.
    In my latest implementation (jan 2012), I implemented the full conversion proces in my VTOL control code.
    So its much more smooth (and realistic) now.
    I never bothered to release it, since there was hardly any interrest in the beta I made available (for the Alphasim version).
    Unfortunately, the thread about this got lost somehow (I can't find it anymore with a search on this forum).

Best regards, Rob

It was your FDE for the V-22 that made that aircraft much more enjoyable to fly. I don't recall if I responded to your updated beta version thread. Sometimes it's easy for threads to disappear here, based on what else was posted at the time. Knowing that you made the FDE for the Wilco Bell TR means I'll have to pick that up as well.

Believe me, your VTOL gauge work made FSX much more enjoyable than the old superflap mods. Now if I could just get a Fairey Rotodyne for FSX with your VTOL gauges on it, I'd be really happy.

Nice post BTW. Oh, and if you ever need some VTOL info, I still have my book from VSTOL aerodynamics class from way back. I can't promise I'll have the answers you need, but I do have a lot of info in my files.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Now if I could just get a Fairey Rotodyne for FSX with your VTOL gauges on it, I'd be really happy.
    I know what you mean
    I tried Ito's version in FSX, and functionaly the VTOL works
    Even for the non-compatible gauges you could find simular FSX-replacement.

Main problem is the animation of the main rotor, which gives a nasty visual effect.

I don't know of any FSX-compatible model of the Rotodyne either, but somebody else might have a tip.

Rob

Fairey Rotodyne would be superb, can only wish.

I bought the G.A.S Pitcairn gyrocopter X currently on sale at 50% off, it's pretty fun to fly and their implementation using a second engine for the rotor works pretty good until you get down to 20 kts at which point it's a full stall.

Rob, have you ever considered an autogyro module in your line up?

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by jetstreamsky View Post

Rob, have you ever considered an autogyro module in your line up?

Allan
    Yes, and made one
    Two years back someone was working on a freeware model (Xenon_XLC2), for which I made that.
    Even included a switchable pre-rotator function. (one engine only, as IRL; the main rotor was "driven" by my gauge.)
    But the designer (forgot his name) couldn't get the rotor animation quite right if I remember correctly; not sure if he ever released it.
    So I left it archived since.

Anyway, a generic module is pointless; it always has to adapted to a specific model

Rob

425th Alouette MAS and VMA214 MAV VA Squadron
    Thank you for your great work on all those VTOL models.

Rob if you have done a new version for the Virtavia Osprey Can you release it?

Your vtol gauges are great
    I have a pilots license so if I really want "as real as it gets" , I go to the airport and hop in the cessna.

Your gauges contribute to feeding the imagination , add to the enjoyment of the simulation and expand what is possible inside fsx.
    They exceed my expectations and inspire my imagination of what can be possible.
    ... like your automatic transmission gauges for road vehicles, now thats thinking outside the box, but in a very scientific and logical way. very cool

I have been playing around with your controlxml files and have found ,that when coupled with extremely powerful sub-orbital flight files, they work above 400,000 ft in a way that succeeds in "emulating" space flight
    at least in my expectations, as I understand that FSX doesn't do spaceflight or many other things we all wish it would

- i can climb all the way to 10 million feet, descend , manuever , even dock (stable hover) with my space station scenery 178 miles in space.
    or fly from Kennedy Space Center to Detroit in 24 minutes (mach 4.6 / fsx max) at any altitude - and never go into slew !!
    - maybe a ghost in the machine but another example of how your work expands what is possible in FSX

with thanks and appreciation.
    keep pushing the envelope-:salute:

Bruce Fitzgerald

I like and appreciate your work. Thank you.