Conifair Connie Tanker 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conifair Connie Tanker 2

Conifair Connie Tanker 2

Hi there, there was no Conifair repaint for Manfred Jahn's L749 Connie that I could see, so I got busy with my paintbrushes....

Attachment 71794Attachment 71795Attachment 71796

Lockheed Constellation C-121A C-GXKR, Tanker 2 of Conifair Inc, 1979. I think this Connie later became the Aviodrome KLM Connie at Lelystad, Holland. If anyone is interested I'll wrap it up and upload it in the next day or so.
    There was a number "2" painted on the fuselage top according to the reference pictures that I had, and I tried to paint that on, but the result was so distorted due to the way the texture wraps around the top, so I unfortunately had to leave it out. Still, even without it, it still looks good.
    Mark

Blog Entries
    A very attractive paint scheme. Nicely done Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    Hi there, there was no Conifair repaint for Manfred Jahn's L749 Connie that I could see, so I got busy with my paintbrushes....

Attachment 71794Attachment 71795Attachment 71796

Lockheed Constellation C-121A C-GXKR, Tanker 2 of Conifair Inc, 1979. I think this Connie later became the Aviodrome KLM Connie at Lelystad, Holland. If anyone is interested I'll wrap it up and upload it in the next day or so.
    There was a number "2" painted on the fuselage top according to the reference pictures that I had, and I tried to paint that on, but the result was so distorted due to the way the texture wraps around the top, so I unfortunately had to leave it out. Still, even without it, it still looks good.
    Hello Mark,

She's looking great! I am very much interested in adding this repaint to MJ's Connie. Coincidentally some flightsim forum members from SOH and CalClassic, incl. myself had a great look around and inside the Aviodrome Connie one month ago. A very beautiful plane.

Thank you very much for making this repaint. I'm looking forward to download.

Cheers,
    Maarten

Very nice indeed. However was the aircraft indeed the radar nose version in those days and then converted to the snub nose she is today ??

Like Maarten I am looking forward to yet another Connie paint to add to my collection.

Cheers
    Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny9850 View Post
    Very nice indeed. However was the aircraft indeed the radar nose version in those days and then converted to the snub nose she is today ??

Like Maarten I am looking forward to yet another Connie paint to add to my collection.

Cheers
    Stefan
    Hello Stefan, yes Indeed she was originally a radar nose version with the curtiss electric props.
    When she was restored the radar nose was converted to the snub nose and Hamilton Standard props.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
    Hello Mark,

She's looking great! I am very much interested in adding this repaint to MJ's Connie. Coincidentally some flightsim forum members from SOH and CalClassic, incl. myself had a great look around and inside the Aviodrome Connie one month ago. A very beautiful plane.

Thank you very much for making this repaint. I'm looking forward to download.

Cheers,
    Maarten
    Thanks fot your interest Maarten, it may be hard to believe but this is what the Aviodrome connie was In a previous life. She sat derelict for years after retirement and was then restored into what you now see at the Aviodrome and flown across the Alantic to the Aviodrome.
    It is a beautiful restoration indeed. In her time as Tanker 2 of Conifair she was so well maintained and kept in immaculate condition.
    Mark

SOH-CM-2020
    " ... If anyone is interested .... "

Are you kidding me

I'd love a copy Mark.

Thanks.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteHam View Post

Are you kidding me

I'd love a copy Mark.

Thanks.

Pete.

Meee Tooooo!!!!!!

Dave

Lends itself to some fun flying... 150ft at 200kts.
    Attachment 71812 Sprayer No. 1, G-GXKO seen in action at an altitude of approx. 150 feet (50m) some where in Quebec in July 1980. The insecticide is colored red to aid visibility (particularly for the chase plane). Nearly 150 nozzles leave a wide swath behind the Connie covering a line of 7 miles (11,2 km). Up to five lines could be covered with one load of 6'000 gallons (23 00 liters).

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink Photo taken June 1980, Steve Piercey Collection.

http://www.zoggavia.com/Conifair_Aviation.html

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by PeteHam View Post

Are you kidding me

I'd love a copy Mark.

Thanks.

Pete.
    No kidding lol I was just trying to see if there was some interest...
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    Lends itself to some fun flying... 150ft at 200kts.
    Attachment 71812 Sprayer No. 1, G-GXKO seen in action at an altitude of approx. 150 feet (50m) some where in Quebec in July 1980. The insecticide is colored red to aid visibility (particularly for the chase plane). Nearly 150 nozzles leave a wide swath behind the Connie covering a line of 7 miles (11,2 km). Up to five lines could be covered with one load of 6'000 gallons (23 00 liters).

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink Photo taken June 1980, Steve Piercey Collection.

http://www.zoggavia.com/Conifair_Aviation.html
    Thanks srgalahad, as you can see by the picture it certainly is interesting. There were 2 connies used by Conifair, Tanker 1 and Tanker 2. According to a reference I found on the web, they were fitted with an INS computer system for following the complex grid flying pattern they flew when spraying.

I think I will do another repaint, that of Tanker 1 C-GXKO. This one later became Vern Raeburn's MATS connie and was seen at airshows around the U.S. It was acquired by a Korean museum and flown across the Pacific to Korea where it is now on permanent display.
    Mark

I must say I am surprised by the neat spray pattern behind those 4 large props. I would have expected some disturbance in the air immediately following the aircraft.
    I did save that image to my ever growing collection.

Once you have one repaint done a different numbered sister ship is a piece of cake so yes please do go ahead and give us #1 as well. I do have both aircraft in their current form, so getting them both in earlier life would be neat.

Cheers
    Stefan

Yes, quite easy. Just a matter of changing the number 2 to 1 :-)
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by p3aewguy View Post
    Meee Tooooo!!!!!!

Dave
    Thanks Dave! It will be on its way to you soon... :-)
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane91 View Post
    A very attractive paint scheme. Nicely done Mark.
    Thanks Hurricane!
    Mark

Go ahead and add me to the list of Connie Lovers. Really. :salute:

- H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

Add me as well, especially the early short Connies
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Here's C-GXKO Tanker 1. Both Connies were identical in scheme so it was fairly easy to just change the number and rego, however Tanker 1 had it's number 1 in a slightly different position on the tail.

Attachment 71867Attachment 71868

So that's it, I'll get both textures zipped up and uploaded as soon as possible.

However I am thinking of doing one more scheme of C-GXKO in Christler Flying Services colors as N9464 before it was acquired by Conifair...instead of the blue colour it was a pale yellow with a black trim where the red trim is and natural metal rudders. or painted silver as perhaps the rudders were fabric, but the photo of it on the web that I spotted shows quite shiny looking metal rudders with light gray trim tabs. There is only one photo of it and that's all I've got to go by.

Im flying the Connie, on sectional legs towards Anchorage from Juneau. Currently I'm parked at PACV Cordova and have just one more leg from there to Anchorage. Love it flying the Connie, such a graceful airliner and easy to fly. I'm flying it in full realism and by the book, taking care with the blowers, etc!
    Mark

Hi all, both sets of textures are zipped up and has been uploaded to here! I've provided a link here for quick access;

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...7&linkid=14276

Enjoy!
    Mark

Hi,

actually this is one of my favourite paint schemes and I am happy to see someone does this repaint. It looks fantastic! Thanks a lot and I am looking forward to some low-level flying at Riviére du Loup.

Maybe one day we will have a matching model but that's a matter of time and I don't see much available right now.

Best regards,
    Volker

Thanks Volker, you're welcome! It would indeed be great if you are able to create a matching model with spray bars, one day!
    Speaking of spray bars, is there an effect available that could be used to simulate the spray?
    Mark

Thanks Volker, you're welcome! It would indeed be great if you are able to create a matching model with spray bars, one day!
    Speaking of spray bars, is there an effect available that could be used to simulate the spray?

Hi,

if you use the smoke systen (I key) with a purple smoke effect, it should look pretty good. What came to my mind would be adding another 'fuel' tank in the aircraft.cfg with matching weight and dump switch that would allow the aircraft to become lighter during the dump process. Adding an INS for reliable grid pattern dump would be another bonus - such a gauge exists and could be added on a pup-up sub-panel.

But as I said, just an idea, and I don't have time for it presently. Other things are more urgent. Sorry to say that, but this beautiful paint job is marvellous even without a dedicated model and FDE.

Best regards,
    Volker

Thanks Mark and looking forward to the Christler paint!
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Thanks fot your interest Maarten, it may be hard to believe but this is what the Aviodrome connie was In a previous life.
    Well it still smells kinda funky inside....

Here's a short history of this particular aircraft: http://www.conniesurvivors.com/N749NL.htm

Thanks for the repaint!
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Kia Ora Mark,

Thank you very much for the repaints!:salute: They are awesome!

I agree with Ferry about the smell inside the Aviodrome Connie (former sprayer #2). Not quite Chanel No.5.

Cheers,
    Maarten