What a freaking mess

Thread: What a freaking mess

Retired SOH Administrator

What a freaking mess

Chet, we have had so much rain this morning I am unable to get to my work van to go to work. Pool flooded out and as the rain poured the water started coming into my garage. This is the first time I have ever seen this much flooding here. I have been in this house for also 17 years. Even during the bad hurricanes the water never got this high. While I was watching the News this morning it never said one thing about flash flooding. Now a few hours later the News is posting pictures of all the flooding and now they are giving us warnings..lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Retired SOH Administrator
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Blog Entries
    that's a Florida mud puddle
    Look What I Have Become!

Quote Originally Posted by Ickie View Post
    that's a Florida mud puddle
    Without Gators
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Oh sh**t! But it doesn't look as if you could have done anything even with fair warning except maybe head for high ground ...:isadizzy:

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha66 View Post
    Oh sh**t! But it doesn't look as if you could have done anything even with fair warning except maybe head for high ground ...:isadizzy:
    Florida's high point is 600 feet above sea level - I'm not sure there is higher ground.

Quote Originally Posted by AckAck View Post
    Florida's high point is 600 feet above sea level - I'm not sure there is higher ground.
    And that is probably an old landfill.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

gosh im liking california's mountains right now,,,,fires n all

t'was a day when 2" of rain would just be absorbed, but with more and more land being paved over or covered in housing/malls water just follows the next line of least resistance... into basements and down roads. At the same time, storm drains spec'd and laid in 1960 can't handle the load of 21st century populations and housing, but who's got the infrastructure $$ to rebuild?

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    t'was a day when 2" of rain would just be absorbed, but with more and more land being paved over or covered in housing/malls water just follows the next line of least resistance... into basements and down roads. At the same time, storm drains spec'd and laid in 1960 can't handle the load of 21st century populations and housing, but who's got the infrastructure $$ to rebuild?
    The greedy developers and politicians.......

I'm don't now if it's there any longer*, but there used to be a very high (~800') pile of tailings that was mostly sand somewhere on the west side of the highway between Bartow and Lakeland. This would have been at that time the highest "mountain" in Florida.

Back in the mid-fifties we'd pile in the car after church on Sunday and head off for an afternoon of "sleding" on "Sand Mountain" and a picnic...

* I suspect that it's been leveled off by now, since it's not mentioned at all in a Google search...
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Maybe Florida is sinking. The 600 foot measurement came from my dusty memory, but Google indicates that the highest (natural) point in Florida is 345 feet.

Maybe Florida is sinking. The 600 foot measurement came from my dusty memory, but Google indicates that the highest (natural) point in Florida is 345 feet.

it might be some kinda "thing"
    what i mean is, after reading your post, i went to wiki and looked up delaware. i was always taught that the highest elevation there was mount cuba, at 66' asl. wiki says

The Ebright Azimuth is the point with the highest benchmark monument elevation in Delaware. It is marked with a geodetic benchmark monument and has an elevation of 447.85 feet (136.50 m) above sea level. The only state high-point with a lower elevation is Britton Hill in the state of Florida at 345 feet (105 m) above sea level.