Realistic 172? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Realistic 172?

A2A's Cherokee will include all engine options I believe, which means you can have the Cherokee 235...which is quite a little hotrod.:salute: I imagine the 172 will come in 160 or 180hp flavors as well.

Cheers
    TJ
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There's a freeware Garmin 430 for FSX?

With the Cherokee 235 you could take another Cherokee with you on top of the fuselage and it would still take-off The useful load is massive in that thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by pilottj View Post
    A2A's Cherokee will include all engine options I believe, which means you can have the Cherokee 235...which is quite a little hotrod.
    TJ
    A continental O-300 6 cyl. might be included as well if they are doing all engine variants for the 172.
    Philippe
    Student Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by orionll View Post
    There's a freeware Garmin 430 for FSX?
    Yep. Over at FS2X.com in the freeware section.

A bunch of very nice gauges by Don Kuhn and Nick Pike there.
    You'll no doubt recognize for on the freeware aircraft as well.
    :ernae:

orionll,
    That's the gauge I have replaced all my stock FS9/X Garmin's with, again not all the pages work but they are good enough along with the free Garmin POH.

If anyone want's real numbers I would love to help out with a former USAF CAP C-172P I fly whenever the Warrior is booked, as much as a hot TX summer day will help!!!
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

No longer active
    Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    If anyone want's real numbers I would love to help out with a former USAF CAP C-172P I fly whenever the Warrior is booked, as much as a hot TX summer day will help!!!
    If you would be willing to do 1 or 2 actual test flights, I can e-mail you my test flight questionnaire and you could get a 172 that has super realistic unbeatable FDE. Just PM me if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by bstolle View Post
    If you would be willing to do 1 or 2 actual test flights, I can e-mail you my test flight questionnaire and you could get a 172 that has super realistic unbeatable FDE. Just PM me if you are interested.
    I'm a student pilot in a C172M and I'll be flying Saturday. Mind if I take a look at the questionnaire as well?

No longer active
    Quote Originally Posted by orionll View Post
    I'm a student pilot in a C172M and I'll be flying Saturday. Mind if I take a look at the questionnaire as well?
    Sure thing! EVERY actual 172 pilot who's willing to perform tests in the real 172 is invited of course!!!

Ah yes , the Cessna 172. My first "big airplane" after the 150. Hey, 150 hp was more than any car I had owned to the time. much 'heavier" in feel from the 150, but still with the huge Cessna flaps. Lightly loaded we landed it in all sorts of ridgetop mine strips in the bush. Takeoffs were somewhat more "exciting" given the roughness and lack of length of some of our early bush pilot fields. A pretty viceless stall, preceeded by that Cessna WEEEEEEEEEEEEE stall horn, enough of a drop to fly out unless one was really ham fisted.

Good plane if ya don't fill it up.... O-320, one of the great bomb proof gen av engines. A smooth flier, like its bretheren the 180 and 182.

T

Bernt, you have PM from me as well.

No longer active
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Bernt, you have PM from me as well.
    Got it thanx Just adapting the questionnaire for the 172....

Hey Bernt
    I was curious if you think the Carenado Archer II could use an FDE update or if you think it is good enough. The Carenado version is a pretty stable handflyer, and while its been almost 20 years since I flew a Warrior, I recall it was very stable in cruise too.

Cheers
    TJ
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Charter Member 2014 Thunderbolt's Avatar
    Hey Bernt
    Carenado Archer II could use an FDE update
    yes that would be really great.
    GREETINGS TORSTEN " THUNDERBOLT "

No longer active
    Hey Bernt I was curious if you think the Carenado Archer II could use an FDE update or if you think it is good enough.
    Haven't flown the Carenado version since quite some time. A new FDE would only make sense if I can get RW pilots actually perform 1 or 2 extensive test flights with the real one.
    You wouldn't believe how many promises I've got over the years that the pilots would actually perform a few tests with the real plane. The only usable response I got was for the 'ultimate' Carenado 185 FDE and the KCFS Seabee.

No issues with helping, although my numbers might be different as ours is sporting the 180hp conversion, yet it still flies like any other 172. Need to get my hands on one of the former USAFA T-41's we used at Peterson AFB Aero Club.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by bstolle View Post
    Haven't flown the Carenado version since quite some time. A new FDE would only make sense if I can get RW pilots actually perform 1 or 2 extensive test flights with the real one.
    You wouldn't believe how many promises I've got over the years that the pilots would actually perform a few tests with the real plane. The only usable response I got was for the 'ultimate' Carenado 185 FDE and the KCFS Seabee.
    Its actually not 'TOO' bad, all the boxes are ticked, apart from the lift scalar curve in the primary aerodynamics section. its just too low. It ruins the rest of the feel of the aircraft. if you discount that, technically its fairly close. I redid it for my custom pa28-236 Dak, Might tune it down to Arrow engine specs if I get chance.

I own a 1979 Archer II PA 28-181, so if you get to playing with it let me know and I'll go run around for you.....

Personally I think the Caranedo Archer is a pretty good representation although it is not as stable in cruise as my actual airplane....tends to want to wander around. My only other real criticism is it doesn't have the Apollo III Autopilot. While this was actually an option on the Archer II, I have NEVER seen one here in the states without it.

If I could figure out how to put one in, I would.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

No longer active
    Thanx for the heads up, I'll keep your offer in mind!

Speaking of Cessna 172's, what do you all think of the SimFlight 1958 172? It seems to fly fairly realistically to me, but I don't do anything fancy in small GA planes.
    Dandog

Just This Guy!

Done renting the 172 now, so really can't contribute to any of your FDE adjustments, but if you want to add/port over the C-182, that's my next mount for a couple weeks then a Baron B58 and finally a King Air.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Members who have read this thread: 90