Brother and I are thinking of going to the UK for a few days...

Thread: Brother and I are thinking of going to the UK for a few days...

Brother and I are thinking of going to the UK for a few days...

Suggestions on how to do this? We're both Man U fans (him more than I) and we've both wanted to go. So we're contemplating going from Dec 17-23rd.

Things we should know/consider being a couple of foreigners?

Quote Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
    Suggestions on how to do this? We're both Man U fans (him more than I) and we've both wanted to go. So we're contemplating going from Dec 17-23rd.

Things we should know/consider being a couple of foreigners?
    Bring a brolly and a pair of wellies each

I visit UK regularly, used to live in London. The Brits are nice people - you'll be all right! Never had any hassle anywhere, people tend to be lenient with tourists in most places.

Try getting some authentic British food somewhere, it's really very good!

For burgers and fries, go to a good pub - much better than McDonald or Burger King. Also recommendable for local beers, ales and ciders and other simple food.

In case you rent a car - Brits drive on the wrong side of the road (i. e. the left side) so that takes getting used to. And the country lanes tend to be rather narrow - lost a mirror meself last year swerving away from oncoming traffic.

And don't get into any football discussions with fans of Manchester City or Chelsea!

research the airline rules early,,,,,,and my dad swears to make sure you get travelers checks and cash in british pounds before you go,,the exchange rate is better.....so he says,,,i dont know...but thats two things he told me

you'll need the cash right away for tipping the cabby from airport to hotel...things like that...ive also been told to NOT rent a car,,,just make sure youve got enoough for taxi/bus/subway

Charter Member 2011
    1 - we drive on the left
    2 - dont rely on public transport
    3 - avoid kebabs!
    4 - brolly or sturdy water proof clothing essential
    5 - avoid showing what football team you support/like when out on the lash, it'll end badly
    6 - if you do go pub crawling, be carefull which ones you go in, but thats the same all over
    7- avoid manchester, liverpool and blackpool and anywhere that isnt in yorkshire
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

I'm running this same thread on another forum, so here's what they had to say and my replies.

Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    Ok - its 5 days - so not a massive trip - also it's the UK, so it's easy to transition into as it's 1st world AND English speaking (mostly...lol).

Now - firstly - condolences on being a Man U supporter - secondly, I'm assuming you'll be going to Old Trafford?

You'll most likely be flying in to London, so you'll have to work out how to get to Manchester from there - you can either drive the M1 (which remember the steering wheel is now on the CORRECT side of the car), get a coach, or fly.

If you book early enough, Ryan Air or Easy Jet can be REALLY cheap - as in a pound cheap.

Money wise - don't worry about travellers checks etc - just use your credit card and your debt card - you'll get bank exchange rates which are the best you can typically get, won't get ripped off by money changers etc. Just get off the plane, find the nearest ATM in the airport, and get yourself some local currency if you need it.

Absolute worst case just get $100 in local currency at your bank if you really feel you need something before you fly.

It's only a week, so no real stress here. A good reference is http://www.lonelyplanet.com/, the books and forums are great.

I've done a lot of traveling so feel free to ask mate.
    Indeed - the idea is to go during a time when there's a game and see one at Old Trafford. So, we might have to amend our time to the 14th through the 21st as no home games are from the 17-23rd. lol

Honestly, it's mostly because it's such a storied and historical club more than anything. It doesn't hurt that they're such a great team too.

I've only looked on Expedia atm and it's looking like Manchester has an airport and you can fly in there. As for traveling around, I don't feel nearly comfortable enough with the thought of driving, so it'd be bus/taxi I suppose. Do you know if they offer bus passes rather than paying for each trip each time? I know in Columbus they had two week passes you could buy that got you anywhere you wanted in the city as many times as you wanted for those two weeks. Same with month passes.

So my Chase Visa debit card would function in the ATM's over there? Does this mean that they would work for vendor purchases as well? As for cell phone, I was thinking about just getting a cheap pre-paid or looking into adding international to my plan for that one month. I have Sprint with the Epic Touch 4G (Galaxy S2).

Have passports.

Honestly, Rental cars might not be worth it, look into train passes if you plan to see other cites. Carry a **** ton of money for taxi's though. If you rent a car, Don't speed... Also, the likeliness of being pulled over is very high, but the police usually are nice and then try to tell you the laws of their land. Apparently my lights were in the wrong position for daytime driving. London is truly a city you must see. If your phone has a sim card slot look online to see if it's UK burner sim compatible.

If you get into a local pub and people don't like you, say you are Canadian. Don't order American beers... ESPECIALLY if you go to Ireland.
    Passport is certainly a requirement. London is certainly on the list - what other places, using Manchester as a base, would you recommend?

I'm not a beer drinker, though my brother is, so I doubt that'll be an issue for me. I'd like to hit up Scotland for a day as well, if we can work out the logistics for it.

The main attraction for the trip would be the game at Old Trafford. Do you think it'd be more wise to get a room in London and then train to Manchester for the game?

Charter Member 2011
    it'd prolly be a better idea to get a cheap hotel around manchester or in it and bussing in (premier inn or travel inn are good price vs comfort) 2hrs on our trains is murder... and expensive!!
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

If you can get a flight into Manchester then it would make sense to get a hotel there and use it as a base. North Wales, the Lake District and the Peak District National Park are not too far away if you like outdoor scenery and there is lot to do/see in the city of Manchester itself or just outside. There is a fascinating industrial museum just two miles from Manchester Airport that is based in an old cotton mill and shows how the cotton trade made Manchester's wealth during the Industrial Revolution.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/quarry-bank-mill/

EDIT: I just checked the opening times for December on the link above and you may want to check them if you decide to visit as you will be visiting in the 'off-season' when the opening times are more restricted.

Larry

Instead of travellers cheques why not get a prepaid credit card in Ł?

When travelling in the States I use a prepaid $ card that I can reload over the web for the best exchange rates. Bringing a net book lets you keep in touch with the web, but most hotels charge for the wifi privilege. Some coffee shops let you connect for free.

The roads are busier in the UK, and most drivers have learnt the skill of changing gears for themselves, but hire car companies can cater for those who prefer to let the car do it for you.

The roads also tend to be narrower, but then the cars are smaller and far more fuel efficient. Just as well with fuel prices heading for $10/gallon.

Just watch it when turning right - that's when you can end up on the wrong side of the road! I usually manage the equivalent trick at least once per trip when turning left over there.

If I've managed thousands of miles over there without hitting anything over the years, a few hundred miles over here should be survivable. Even for a Man U fan.........

This I know:

Your best exchange rate will always through your debit (or credit) card...however you must factor in the fee. I've traveled world wide and never found that to be different.

It's easier to drive on the left than you think (only problem I ever had was in parking lots the first few days).

This I think:

No one has air conditioning (well, almost no one).

Pub chow is usually okay and the best deal.

Weetabix actually taste better than they look, and you can use them for minor construction projects.

Climb to Glory!
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaSea View Post
    No one has air conditioning (well, almost no one).
    if anyone needs air con ere theres summing wrong with em

The options are endless but if you really want to see ManU that's the place to start and there are several ways to get tickets + accommodation.
    Try this as a good example:
    http://www.thomascooksport.com/Footb...hester-United+
    Includes:

• Official Match Ticket
      Ticket to a home Premier League fixture
    • Hotel
      A minimum of one nights accommodation
    • Old Trafford Stadium Tour + Match Programme
      A tour of the famous Manchester United Ground

Search for other tour companies that might be able to (or have planned) tours that include ManU tix.

Then plan the other activities around it... move to London for a COUPLE OF DAYS and do the "tourist thing"? Tour museums?
    If not doing a 'package tour' you can sometimes get equally good prices on "open jaw" travel ( into one city, leave from another)

Remember, you WILL suffer some jet lag, so best to arrive a day early if you have special events planned.Temptation is to plan a lot and then be exhausted. Better to focus on a few special choices rather than "If this is Tuesday it must be Belgium" type of trip as you will be fuzzy and won't remember a lot. Remember that you are going to be in the midst of some wonderful aviation history too.

A starting point for Manchester info:https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...manchester.jsp

City of London bus pass info and links to other things
    http://www.londonpass.com/london-tra...FSXhQgodj2oACA
    http://www.visitlondon.com/travel/ge...und/london-bus

Many places with big tourist sites also have lineups. A lot of travel info now suggests that you can avoid these lines with packaged tours that 'jump the queue' and even though you are off-season it's a thought to consider. Some day tours also may get you into sites a bit before regular open hours.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Cyber,

If you will still be in the Army when you travel, check into lodging at a US military installation. It'll be a lot cheaper, you'll have many more amenities and you might even get air con! On the other hand, staying with the locals can be a huge part of the enjoyment of a trip.

Here is a map of US facilities on RAF bases in the United Kingdom.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdflieger View Post
    .... you might even get air con!
    Sorry but this just made me LOL!

Air con is the last thing he will need in the UK in December. More likely to need a good heater and efficient rain/snow clothing especially in the Manchester area as it is renowned for being the rainiest city in the UK.

Due to prevailing weather conditions and the terrain the west side of the UK always gets more rain than the east side. A ridge of high hills to the east of Manchester forces moisture laden air upwards, condensing the moisture into clouds which then dump the water as rain right over the city.
    Larry

Do you speak Mancunian? Could be worse, you could have decided to support Scouse, Geordie or Glesga teams.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Taco,
    The incongruity of it was was meant to make you laugh! Read up a few posts to see the basis of the comment.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Taco,
    The incongruity of it was was meant to make you laugh!
    I know and I did.

Read up a few posts to see the basis of the comment.
    Yup, AC is very rarely required in the UK even in the height of summer.
    Larry

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    Yup, AC is very rarely required in the UK even in the height of summer.
    its a live saver in cars though

I had to throw the Air Con thing in.....

On two separate occasions I've managed to spend two glorious weeks in the UK at the absolute hottest time of the year during a summer heat wave.....you notice these things....

Didn't have it in the car either.....
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

When I was stationed in Scotland, it got up to 75F one day. The locals were acting like hell had set up shop on the Clyde and we were thinking it was finally starting to get a little warm.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by TeaSea View Post
    I had to throw the Air Con thing in.....

On two separate occasions I've managed to spend two glorious weeks in the UK at the absolute hottest time of the year during a summer heat wave.....you notice these things....

Didn't have it in the car either.....
    If ever traveling to Italy during the hot season(s), make certain that when you book hotel reservations you specifically request a room that has airconditioning. Of course it's a bit more expensive, but after a long, hot day of sightseeing, having at least a comfortably cool room in which to recover is a real blessing!
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit