White Cliffs Of Dover
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: White Cliffs Of Dover

White Cliffs Of Dover

Having lived on the South Coast of Britain for most of my life, I like flying around in this area. (In reality and in FS9).
    Has anybody ever attempted a white cliff scenery, the most iconic view Britain has to offer?
    I've been looking for years on various sites, and all I could find was an unfinished Dover scenery, in which I planted some static shipping.
    The screenshot is supposed to be Beachy Head with Eastbourne in the backdrop, but it's just grey and dull!
    Where are the white cliffs?

Attachment 69977 Attachment 69979 Fs9 VS original...

Stuart

i wonder........ gonna check them in mine, if they ain't white... well.... i'm firing up SBuilder! i know UKANO includes some of 'chain home' the Radar masts.... but it'd be good to get Dover as, well..... Dover....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wynn View Post
    i wonder........ gonna check them in mine, if they ain't white... well.... i'm firing up SBuilder! i know UKANO includes some of 'chain home' the Radar masts.... but it'd be good to get Dover as, well..... Dover....
    ....Roger Roger! :-)

well they ain't.... time to locale a map... and get creative, found dover no problem but as you say the area is bland.... not like that particular corner of the UK, from what i recall they span from Folkestone and nearly reach Deal.... Edit: just checked, definitely grey, only problem is the Mesh, everyone has their preference.... i use FSGlobal 2010, others will use the UKVFR Mesh... etc... which could make aligning the textures a bit.... fun....

well they ain't.... time to locale a map... and get creative, found dover no problem but as you say the area is bland.... not like that particular corner of the UK, from what i recall they span from Folkestone and nearly reach Deal....
    The greatest white cliffs are actually between Eastbourne and Seaford, including Beachy Head. (Seven Sisters).
    The backdrop has been used in several films, including the 'Battle Of Britain', where they made a terrible mistake of showing the 'South Cliff Tower' here in Eastbourne! (Built in 1964). They just pretended to be the Dover cliffs.

well ya did say the White cliffs of Dover not 'the white cliffs of Dover and 7 sisters' i'll start with Dover, and round to Deal, then work the opposite side :salute: just having to create a texture for it.....

EDIT: now we're making Progress... just threw a coral texture on there, an FS9 default texture, seems to work well, gotta edit my 'Terrain_max_' in the fs9.cfg, and mask the roads yet but it's a start :salute:

well ya did say the White cliffs of Dover not 'the white cliffs of Dover and 7 sisters' i'll start with Dover, and round to Deal, then work the opposite side :salute: just having to create a texture for it.....

EDIT: now we're making Progress... just threw a coral texture on there, an FS9 default texture, seems to work well, gotta edit my 'Terrain_max_' in the fs9.cfg, and mask the roads yet but it's a start :salute:
    Oh, holy cow!

I only posted this just over an hour ago, and you're already at it! What can I say?
    Nothing really, I'm speechless! :salute:

Looking good Matt, hoping it works with my mesh. The only other scenery I know of is old CFS2 cliffs by Martin Wright, no idea if they work though, and they don't look as good as that. They were great big 'objects' plonked on the scenery. See below in CFS2.

As for Radar towers, William Renwick did the entire Chain home/low 'chain' for CFS2, it works okay, bar some elevation issues in places due to mesh, which could quite easily be tweaked? No pics I'm afraid.

Jamie

Attachment 69984

well...... we've reached Deal (or the outskirts of) in the east, so that's East side of Dover... onto the west!

...and we're now to the outskirts of Folkestone (In the Distance), 3rd section about to get started after i tidy up the area... here we see Dover, East to the Right, West to the Left

That's what I call speed!
    At that pace you'll be on my doorstep soon :-)
    Better get the beers chilled!

beachy head is looming in the distance... not far to the 'seven sisters'

from what i can see there's no chalk cliffs (or next to none) between Hythe and Eastbourne (i'd surely recall them the amount of times i've visited Hythe... surely?!)

I've always found it both amusing and aggravating that MS could get the white cliffs nicely done in Combat Flight Simulator and then totally miss the boat 5 years later in FS9.

Good job Matt! I've been waiting on this for 9 years now.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

beachy head is looming in the distance... not far to the 'seven sisters'

from what i can see there's no chalk cliffs (or next to none) between Hythe and Eastbourne (i'd surely recall them the amount of times i've visited Hythe... surely?!)
    That's right Matt. There are none. The highest point is just before Hastings called 'Fairlight'. Stiff cliffs but no chalk.
    The most impressive ones start again just west of Eastbourne, in a place called 'Holywell', and end in Seaford.

By the way, where did you get the Dover harbour scenery from?

scenery? came with my mesh etc (for reference it's FSGlobal 2010, Ground Environment Pro and Ultimate Terrain Europe) :salute: just about to go check the Eastbourne area now :salute: no 3D objects but the Harbour is visible... be good to have a scenery for Dover itself...

well, according to my sim this is Beachy head...... not much of a cliff.... more of a hill really....

ok go beta test you lot, report how it affects/looks on the meshes you use....

Unless I'm becoming senile and demented, (wouldn't come as a surprise), I cant get the textures to work.
    You said that you are using FS Global, that might be an issue as I haven't got that. Everything else I have - GEPro, European Terrain etc...
    Still, I can't get these textures to show!
    I installed the 'White Cliffs' folder into the addon library and activated it in FS9. Is there another secret solution?

Cheers, Stuart

odd.... everything that should be there is there... *Scratches head, confused*

odd.... everything that should be there is there... *Scratches head, confused*
    The 'White Cliffs' folder contains a scenery folder, but no textures. Could that be an issue?

not that i'm aware of as the coral i used if i recall is a default FS texture set....

ok i'll knock up a quick test i'll place a shape of chalk about 5mi inland of Dover, if you can't see that it might be a missing texture, if you can it might be your mesh... this is the joy of beta testing....

EDIT: Stuart, attached is the coral.r8 file and a bgl file with a rather large chalk feature placed near Dover, should narrow down what the issue is

ok i'll knock up a quick test i'll place a shape of chalk about 5mi inland of Dover, if you can't see that it might be a missing texture, if you can it might be your mesh... this is the joy of beta testing....
    Just opened a bottle of old scrumpy, i'll give it a go :-)

see prior post Stuart, contains a new scenery folder with the large feature and the coral.r8 file in case it's a missing texture, the .r8 file goes in the main FS9 'Texture' folder....

I found a white splash on the cliffs, 2 miles west of Dover!
    Now looking for the 'Coral'...

Attachment 70018

Members who have read this thread: 78