White Cliffs Of Dover - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: White Cliffs Of Dover

ok so it seems like a mesh issue, what mesh you using?

Stuart, Matt -
    A bit late seeing this post, but Ray Sheppard did some improved cliffs back in the UK VFR days.
    Just scroll down past the "Phantom Jet" fix. This was for the VF/GM photoscenery with the VFR Terrain mesh.
    http://www.shepsshed.com/vfrtextures1.htm

ATB
    MikeW

yeah i have it in my UKVFR install, but there's nothing really for non-VFR users... shame really as they're iconic and totally AWOL

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wynn View Post
    ok so it seems like a mesh issue, what mesh you using?
    I think you are right Matt!
    I use 'European Enhanced Terrain' by Abacus. I've had it for years now...:-)
    But I have so much other c... installed over the years, I think it might be worth considering a fresh installation of fs9.
    I'm just dreading all the backups required. (60GB).

Well, I'm giving up for tonight, so I can start again in the early morning...

Thanks anyway for your rapid response to my request, I am very grateful for your support! :salute:

I will get it working, I will, I will I willlllllll.........

Cheers,

Stuart

Hey...since I live on the west side of the Big Pond and have no idea what airports are close to the White Cliffs of Dover....could someone who knows the British airports (stockers at that) give me a list of airports to start flights at so I can take a gander at Matt's scenery work and see how it works with Rhumbaflappy's LOD8 mesh for that part of the world?

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    Hey...since I live on the west side of the Big Pond and have no idea what airports are close to the White Cliffs of Dover....could someone who knows the British airports (stockers at that) give me a list of airports to start flights at so I can take a gander at Matt's scenery work and see how it works with Rhumbaflappy's LOD8 mesh for that part of the world?

OBIO
    You can either start at Manston EGMH and turn south after take-off then follow the coast or start at Lydd EGMD and turn north-east after take-off then follow the coast. The 'white cliffs of Dover' should be roughly at the mid-point between the two airports.

In either case if you start at one airport and reach the other you have gone past them somewhere along the route.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by stuartcox View Post
    I found a white splash on the cliffs, 2 miles west of Dover!
    Now looking for the 'Coral'...

Attachment 70018
    I'm getting similar results to Stuart using Rhumba's Mesh (as mentioned by Obio).

Jamie

ok do we have a link for Rhumbas mesh so i can check and adapt? :salute:

ok do we have a link for Rhumbas mesh so i can check and adapt? :salute:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...rid=441&sort=d

lot's of files, sorry. Sorry for the delay, been reading 'the Dambusters raid' by John Sweetman, very technical and hard going for a good bit in the beginning, but worth persevering.

Jamie

time to get downloading.... :salute: and then once downloaded... it's adapt time!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JDTinballs View Post
    I'm getting similar results to Stuart using Rhumba's Mesh (as mentioned by Obio).

Jamie
    Ditto, with Stephen Rothlisberger's LOD9 mesh installed over Rhumba's.

Apologies for late posting but I have belatedly remembered that there is a small (270kb) FS2002 scenery at Simviation called "grisnez" which covers the cliffs on both sides of the Channel.

It sort of worked in FS2004 but I didn't keep it because the sea appeared to be climbing up the cliff faces.....possibly a mesh conflict. Almost certainly nowhere near as good as Matt's offering but could be worth a look.

As an aside I am suprised that no scenery developer thus far in the long lifetime of FS2004 has apparently been interested in this area of the UK as both Dover Castle and the Ferry Port are important and well known landmarks.

JP

Yeah it's a massive VFR landmark, and yet so widely overlooked it seems...

ok next step once all these bits are downloaded and activated, is to move the cliffs so they're on the Rhumba mesh, then that's that stone turned... then i'll take a look at the overlay Hurricane mentions :salute:

I just had a look at Rhumba's mesh!
    Wow, that's a trillion MB download! Which one of these files is specifically for the British SE coast?

Blog Entries
    I hope that what works for Stuart's set-up will also work in mine. This view uses
    the "coral" files in place of the original set. The chalk extends a bit more in the
    same area.

Attachment 70054

ok cool cool, when i get there Hurricane if you can let me know what 'overlay' you're using for the south coast i can adjust it to suit, then we have 3 boxes checked off... FSGlobal 2010, Rhumba, and Rhumba + overlay....:salute:

Blog Entries
    if you can let me know what 'overlay' you're using for the south coast i can adjust it to suit,...
    I have Golden Wings which I understand has it's own mesh, plus Rhumba's DEM 5,7, and 8. Over that I have Rothlisberger's global terrain
    mesh. The global is from Simviation here...

http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm

...and you can download a map that identifies the mesh files for specific areas. I believe the file for southern England is "EB90" and is
    about 15MB. This file also covers northwestern France and the south coast of Ireland. I appreciate
    your interest in this Matt. Thank you for your efforts.

John

oh..... i have golden wings..... so if that has the Rhumba mesh..... Game On!

It doesn't show on mine either (FS9). The add-on I use is JF VFR scenery which has a mesh scenery included. Thanks for doing this, always wanted the cliffs to be white.

Icon5

I hope seen one day this "white chalk" :mixedsmi:

A Bit OT...

A lovely photograph of the light show being projected onto the cliffs during the Olympics.
    I bet the French love it... (This is visible from Calais and Dunkirke).

Attachment 70084

i'll be starting on the Rhumba conversion work around 1600GMT... so hopefully by 2100 we'll have white cliffs on the rhumba mesh... anyone know an alternate download as it seem i've just used up my SoH Download allowance trying to download all the stuff.... , think i have all the DEM8 bits, but i'd love to get the LOD bits as well....

I have now given up on this...

There are just so many different mesh solutions with different elevation data, and each texture needs to fit!
    This is an almost impossible task!
    Should you be carrying on Matt, then good luck! :-), if any assistance required I shall be on your hand!

Thanks,

Stuart

Members who have read this thread: 78