White Cliffs Of Dover - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: White Cliffs Of Dover

Thanks Hurricane! Stuart, Hurricanes link has the rhumba meshes.... perfect! Navtech where did you get that water? it looks nice!

this just gets weirder and weirder.... strangely the cliffs still show up after i've activated the Rhumba mesh..... odd..... very odd..... *scratches head* we will do this! ok.... plan of action.... everythings disabled, we're back to default.... let's start from there eh?

Lightbulb

Thanks Hurricane! Stuart, Hurricanes link has the rhumba meshes.... perfect! Navtech where did you get that water? it looks nice!
    This is the Zinertek Ultimate Water first version (payware)
    They have released a new version .. but for me .. the old is better ..
    http://www.zinertek.com/flightsimulator.html
    BTW I use the mesh from Next Mesh England 19m (also payware)

aaaaargh this is just becoming one headache after another.... with the rhumba mesh i'm not seeing shorelines and therefore no wave animations being triggered.... what order do you all with the rhumba bits install it in, either i'm blind or it doesn't give an order......

Blog Entries
    After the default...Asia (629), Africa (630), Alps(632)... I have Rhumba's 5(632), 7(633), and 8(634).
    From there, LOD9s followed by LOD 10s etc. I hope this helps but as Stewart suggested,getting this
    to work for everyone may be a tall order.

Here's a thought... Why not get one small mesh bgl that covers the cliffs, then set up a package that displays the cliffs with that? Then that package can be placed into the scenery library above all other meshes so that it will (hopefully) have higher priority and display correctly regardless of what larger mesh package is under it.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wynn View Post
    this just gets weirder and weirder.... strangely the cliffs still show up after i've activated the Rhumba mesh..... odd..... very odd..... *scratches head* we will do this! ok.... plan of action.... everythings disabled, we're back to default.... let's start from there eh?
    Yeah!
    That's what I call attitude! :-)
    The frustration over the matter made me give up!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wynn View Post
    aaaaargh this is just becoming one headache after another.... with the rhumba mesh i'm not seeing shorelines and therefore no wave animations being triggered.... what order do you all with the rhumba bits install it in, either i'm blind or it doesn't give an order......
    Matt,

the sim will always show the highest resolution mesh for any area, regardless off hierarchy in the scenery cfg. If you still have better mesh installed it will still show through other mesh even ifit is above the others in the order.

Rhumba mesh is in some places the same as the default, others, it is better. remember, it was made primarily for CFS2. I did try the world mesh from SimV, but found it had many errors, and gaps, discarded it soon after. Richard knows his stuff, so I settled on his.

Jamie

And just to show yet another different mesh... Raimondo Tabeuret's Shuttle Radar Topography mesh. Former payware that was released free.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

deactivated Rhumbas mesh, same results, a small patch just to the east and west of Dover. Default mesh.

Here's a pic or two of chain home & low just for sh!ts-and-giggles. And a couple of voicepacks for the period - requires EVP.

Attachment 70155 Attachment 70156
    Attachment 70158Attachment 70159
    Attachment 70154 Attachment 70157

Jamie

PS. Some already (and others) posted in another thread previously, but went by un-noticed by most, lol.

Hi JD,

what Chain Home scenery is it? The CSF one? Anything special needed to install it into FS?

Best regards,
    Volker

Quote Originally Posted by Volker Böhme View Post
    Hi JD,

what Chain Home scenery is it? The CSF one? Anything special needed to install it into FS?

Best regards,
    Volker
    yup, the CFS2 ones, work okay, dependent on mesh.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=3595&sort=d

Jamie

I wish there was a way to import these cliffs......

Cheers,
    Huub

@Hubb

Blimey what are those cliffs from? CS3?

They look great

Kind regards

John
    Never give up, never surrender.

Quote Originally Posted by johnr View Post
    Blimey what are those cliffs from?
    These are the Cliffs of Dover from the combat flight simulator with the same name (IL2 Cliffs of Dover).

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    These are the Cliffs of Dover from the combat flight simulator with the same name (IL2 Cliffs of Dover).

Cheers,
    Huub

If only FS looked like that :-(

John
    Never give up, never surrender.

Quote Originally Posted by JDTinballs View Post
    yup, the CFS2 ones, work okay, dependent on mesh.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=3595&sort=d

Jamie
    Hi,

thanks, installed it and had a flight from Lydd to Manston, but found nothing. Am I missing a texture? Nothing particualr installed in that area except for Rhumbaflappys mesh.

Best regards,
    Volker

Quote Originally Posted by Volker Böhme View Post
    Hi,

thanks, installed it and had a flight from Lydd to Manston, but found nothing. Am I missing a texture? Nothing particualr installed in that area except for Rhumbaflappys mesh.

Best regards,
    Volker
    Volker,

same mesh as me. Just slightly NE of Manston there is the chain low on the coast (small mast and tower), they are hard to spot. Follow the coast north then Westerly and you'll come across a chain home several miles later, slightly inland from the coast. Those are the ones in the pics. They are spread far and wide, another chain home can be found at Ventnor along the south coast.

I haven't extensively toured them as I'm not overly familiar with the place names of the files, living at the other end of the UK and all. I think they stretch right up the East coast of the UK.

happy hunting,
    Jamie

Chain Home Recon

I installed the Chain Home yesterday and after reading this today, figure I'd better go see if I could find 'em. So I hopped in a new favorite of mine (photo-recon version of course) at Merc Air HQ in SE England and flew over to Manston and started searching the coast. I did find one of them and got a couple of shots of it and then turned around and headed back to base before the locals got alarmed. Couldn't resist snapping a few other local pics on the way back.

This one was on on the NE end of the peninsula that Manston is on.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

I have had chain home installed in GW3 for a long time. Blends in well with the scenery.

ok Cliffs might be a no go.... BUT i do like the idea of a new Chain Low / Home system..... be good to have 'Darky and Sandra' too....

Darky:
    "If an aeroplane was in an emergency situation regarding it’s position to the airfield it is due to land at the pilot could use the basic life-saver “ DARKY, “ which was a system where the pilot could call for a ‘ Homing ‘ using the call-sign Darky. Most R.A.F. Stations operated a permanent Darky Watch on a common frequency with a transmitter / receiver of limited range to avoid possible overlap with other stations. By taking bearings and comparing them by telephone they could rapidly fix a lost aircrafts position."

Sandra:
    This system comprised three search lights positioned around an airfield which could be directed skywards to form a cone. In the case of low cloud-base a glow could be seen from above.

the latter could easilly be done i think, using a basic searchlight object that on entering a set NAV frequency would activate the beams (a scenery object with conditional variables set, and with a transparency....)

there is LOADS of things that could be good fun to have in sim....

Set up by W/Cdr F Bullmore...you can buy his book. It is a good read.
    http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...aven&x=91&y=14

ATB
    MikeW

Hi Jamie and Willie,

thanks for pointing me to the stations! Just made another trip and I found them. I don't think the difference was in the fact that I was flying Spitfire instead of a He-111 airliner. Don't think camo nets are animated and triggered by the aircraft's country of origin.

Best regards,
    Volker

Such a shame we can't get it working in FS9!
    I just went on a low level helo trip around the Sussex coast, and some of the sights are just amazing!
    Iconic British landmarks!
    Photo: Following the 'Seven Sisters' towards Beachy Head...
    Attachment 70825 Attachment 70826

in theory we just need to locate someone who can do their mesh if we can do that we can get our beautiful chalk cliffs in... let's get hunting guys, we know it's do-able.... if we cannot locate someone, while i'm in Greece i'll brush up on Mesh creation see if we can't do it... that is if we can't find someone to make a 'white cliffs' mesh :salute: