Scenery Installation Issues

Thread: Scenery Installation Issues

Scenery Installation Issues

Ok so apparently I have been away too long because I am having some issues installing Maskrider's/Xavier airfields. I am pretty sure I followed his instructions correctly but I am getting no objects on the airfields as seen from the images below. I have all the objects (hangars, buildings, trees) downloaded as I backed that up from my previous install (wasn't able to save everything) of CFS2. They all show up in Mission Building fine. I don't know what I did wrong maybe I forgot something
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A couple of suggestions:

1. Looks like a higherarchy issue with the ground textures. Try moving the scenery up or down in the scenery library.

2. If the airfield is a "Global Scenery Layer" addon, make sure that you've add the GSL file to your instalation via the Martin Wright GSL application that was included in the scenery package. Put in: CFS 2>GSL folder
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Still not getting any positive results. You know I've never had this problem before on my old machine. Is this a windows 7 issue? I'm following the instructions exactly as posted in the manuals.

:mixedsmi:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi Jerm,
    Not a windows7 issue. Looks like you forgot to copy the contents of
    \..\Combat Flight Simulator 2\SCENEDB\WORLD\TEXTURE
    into
    \..\Combat Flight Simulator2\TEXTURE

In windows7 you will need Admin priviledges to copy and paste files inside the \..\Programs Files\ directory..
    objects must be installed in active scenery layers and those used in missions and GSL need DP files in
    \..\Combat Flight Simulator2\OBJECTS_DB

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by simonu View Post
    Hi Jerm,

objects must be installed in active scenery layers and those used in missions and GSL need DP files in
    \..\Combat Flight Simulator2\OBJECTS_DB

good luck
    ok i not sure i quick understand. i'm positice that I have all the objects needed in my objects dp file but I am still getting nothing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jerm,

You need to:

Pay attention to the advice given

Provide more specific details if you have followed the advice

Point 1:
    Simonu correctly identified that you had green/ blue blocks from your own screenshot. This is an indication that the contents of CFS2/TEXTURE & CFS2/SCENEDB/WORLD/TEXTURE folders do not match

Question: Did you check this, do they match?

Point 2:
    Jagd identified that the cfs2.gsl file needs to have the GSL contents from Xavier/ Maskrider airfield packages added. Both authors provide the tools to do this in their downloads.

Question: Did you do this?

If you didn't do this - THE OBJECTS WILL NOT APPEAR AT THOSE LOCATIONS - EVEN IF YOU HAVE THE DP FILES ETC. IN CFS 2.

Lastly: screenshots are good, but some more information is better. For instance:

Which airfields - some of MRs early packages do not use gsl buildings & objects (they are not destroyable). If it is one of those airfields, then you have a different problem altogether.

People are willing to help, but you do need to work with them.

Hey soorry about that still trying to get the hang of cfs2 again

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    Jerm,

Point 1:
    Simonu correctly identified that you had green/ blue blocks from your own screenshot. This is an indication that the contents of CFS2/TEXTURE & CFS2/SCENEDB/WORLD/TEXTURE folders do not match

Question: Did you check this, do they match?
    Yes that issue has been resolved

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    Jerm,

Point 2:
    Jagd identified that the cfs2.gsl file needs to have the GSL contents from Xavier/ Maskrider airfield packages added. Both authors provide the tools to do this in their downloads.

Question: Did you do this?

If you didn't do this - THE OBJECTS WILL NOT APPEAR AT THOSE LOCATIONS - EVEN IF YOU HAVE THE DP FILES ETC. IN CFS 2.

Yes i did this too using the GSLman tool activating the scenery and still nothing shows up. I have all the objects installed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Question

OK Jerm,

Can you tell us which airfields? I know we should recognise them from your screenies, but some location/ names would be helpful.

Do you have any objects showing up at all (even at stock airbases)? If you do have objects at the stock airbases, then at least the gsl file seems to be operating OK.

If all your objects have gone, then the problem most probably lies with your cfs2.gsl file.

This ones a bit of a long shot - What are your CFS 2 graphic sliders set to? Most add on objects need you to set ground object detail to extremely dense (I think) - as detailed as you can. Don't worry about the load on the graphics card, process power has moved on so much you can get away with all the sliders maxed out these days.

Hope this helps.

yes my stock cfs2 objects show up on the stock airfields. I have the EAWWII SCENERY - FULL CONSOLIDATED PACKAGE by xavier and none of the gsl ojects show up after activation. I also have maskrider's mr_dutch_east_indies_080512 scenery but only half the airfields have objects show up. Also maskrider's mr_papua_new_giuinea_gsl package with nothing.

airfields like wadke and morotai and the other major DEI runways have no objects showing up but some of the lesser known do have the objects show up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jerm,

You might be describing a recently discovered issue with the total number of objects you can have in the sim.

Search here for threads about max objects dp entries. From memory, most people are OK until c.1300-1500 entries, then start to get problems, as though the sim doesn't recognise any more than ...XXXX object dps in the sim.

If this is the issue, you need to trim the amount of add-on objects you have loaded, as it seems to be hard coded into the sim.

Good luck...

Yeah I remember hearing about that I'll mess around with it some more maybe I'll get lucky
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

for some reason this is the only gsl object that shows up. This little red box on all the airfields.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi Jerm,

I think that's the FSSC macro for an aircraft refuel pump, don't think it's a gsl object.... try shooting at (or if you're really good, flying through it). If it's gsl, you'll destroy it. If not, you can fly or taxi through it like it isn't there.

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!
    It is a refueling pump. If you taxi up and stop next to it your fuel tanks will refill. Way back in the dawn of time when CFS2 was new and fresh as a baby's bottom, many folks who used the add on scenery were clubs and groups who flew together online. Islands hoppers they were. They requested the refueling stations. So I started to include them on all MR airfields. The red pump thingies are there so you can locate refueling areas. There is also an option to include blaring yellow lines around the fuel area but I thought that would be just a touch goofy looking for seat-of-the-pants airfields in the PTO. Real men don't need no stinkin' yellow lines.

The red pumps are not dynamic GSL-style objects. They are static API Macros. However, once dynamic GSL-style objects came along, I spruced up the refueling areas by putting a line of LW's oil tanks right behind/next to them so that they could be shot up nicely and make lots of thick black smoke!

Jerm, sorry you are experiencing problems. For your further annoyance I attach 4 screenshots: one shows the way the refueling area at Ballale should look, one shows the way the refueling area at Wakde Island should look, one shows the way Wakde Island itself should look and finally one shows the way Ballale Island should look. I notice screenshots of these two airfields bereft of scenery objects posted above.

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

for some reason for your mr_dutch_easy_indies_080512 the objects that do show up on certain runways aren't gsl (i can't destroy them). I mentioned that in a earilier post so yeah no gsl objects show up. Here's DEI Kuala Lumpur
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!
    Hiya Jerm,

Yes, indeed. Not all scenery objects in the mr_dutch_easy_indies_080512 pack are dynamic GSL-style objects.

The pack is an update to the earlier mr_dutcheasties pack. The scenery objects in the earlier mr_dutcheasties pack are all static API Macros.

One of the first NOTEs in the readme for the mr_dutch_easy_indies_080512 pack says "there is some LWM type scenery in this pack".

The new and re-worked LWM-style fields are the only fields in the mr_dutch_easy_indies_080512 pack that include dynamic GSL-style objects. The scenery objects in the remaining earlier fields, the majority of the fields in the pack including Kuala Lumpur, are static API Macros.

FYI when I say 'dynamic' I mean they can be blown up. 'Static' means they just sit there when fired upon.

Don't know if this helps. Hope so.

BTW, after reading thru the readme for the mr_dutch_easy_indies_080512 pack I did notice a slight error:

Step 1 under the INSTALLATION section reads:
    1. Drop the entire MR Dutch East Indies folder into your main CFS2 folder- if asked
    to over-write, say yes.- and then activate it. If you have an existing MR Solomons
    folder, delete it or deactivate it.

It should have read:
    1. Drop the entire MR Dutch East Indies folder into your main CFS2 folder- if asked
    to over-write, say yes.- and then activate it.

I must have used the Solomns readme as a template for this one and missed deleting the reference to the Solomons.

MR

PS mr_dutch_easy_indies_080512 pack is meant to be used with the stock CFS2 mesh and masks.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Members who have read this thread: 22