Battle of Britain Spitfire Mk1 package
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battle of Britain Spitfire Mk1 package

Battle of Britain Spitfire Mk1 package

Strange enough there's a lot of models for the later Spits, but i can only recall one freeware Mk1 which is up to todays standard. The Aeroplane Heaven Mk1. It could however do with some better skins and a new panel so here it is. 9 skins and a widescreen panel and some other updates to MDL, weapons, etc.

For my fellows in Britain: Fantastic Olympic opening show!

Morton

(Rami, seems i uploaded it twice.. )

SOH-CM-2013
    Madison County, Iowa (3rd Corn Patch On The Left)

Exclamation Oh My......

Morton, Thou Art a Stout Fellow.

Thank You
    SC

"...And, When I died, They washed me out of the turret with a hose..."

Excellent paints...and that beautiful 2D panel is HOT! Nice 3D look...i may have to load that bad boy into every early to mid Spit in my hangar.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

You bugger! I was just about to release some skins for that very plane, Absolutely no point posting them up now as they will look embarrasing compared to yours!!!

Ian Astill,
    If you develop your own work, I think it is important to upload them and share with the community, as this is what the community is about, you may get some feed back (LOL).
    I wish I can retexture existing model, I do like to study other peoples work as it always helps to improve my own.
    Robert John.

Totally agree with you Robert. And I too always scan through a lot of other texture work collecting ideas, markings and bits and pieces prior to a project. The more the better.

Morton

Hello Ian

I was wondering how you were progressing when I saw Morton's work.

If you have some aircraft of the same codes then see if there is a quick fix to alter:-
    eg convert C into Q, H into F, etc

Would love to see your work, and if you enjoy painting pixels it is always great to get polite constructive feedback.

You should have seen some of my early work :mix-smi: - but back then I was happy with the results even though I never released them.

Hello Morton

Great work as always.

Regards, Seagull V

Reply...

Hey guys,

First, the more skins the merrier, Ian. No worries from that department...

Morton,

Your timing is perfect...I am thrilled to be able to use these in this campaign package. The last three missions should be done by tomorrow night...I can't wait to test these out. Thank you! :salute:
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

SOH-CM-2013
    Madison County, Iowa (3rd Corn Patch On The Left)

Wink Oh LOLOL !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seagull V View Post
    ...You should have seen some of my early work :mix-smi: - but back then I was happy with the results even though I never released them....

That's what I say about MY work TODAY, Mark !

Since the final result is usually viewed in pieces or in flames as I pass by at 250Kts, I describe my personal repaints as "
    distressed"....

SC

"...And, When I died, They washed me out of the turret with a hose..."

Sc
    distressed"....
    LOL.

RJ

I'll certainly keep working on my skins, But I have a much higher standard to aim for now, which is not a bad thing. I'll also revist my skins for the BOB Pack Hurricane

Morton I had a jolly good time chasing 109's and Cr 42's over Dover today in ''MANXMAN''!!

Thanks

Great skins Morton. They look real!! And your panel is a must.

Ian: I coincide with the others. No one is borned a master of his art. Pieces of art ar made of 90% sweat and 10% genius and illumination.

Cheers, Discus

Thank u Morton, a real hight quality work like allways!
    Hit hard, hit fast, hit where it hurts and keep hitting.

I do love your work Morton - many thanks for these great skins.

One of the things everybody's skin packs encourages me to do is to research the units included and when I looked at this set I seem to get some slightly different info on one skin. I don't know what your original source for the 54 Sqn skin was but this site - which I really like - says EB was the code for 41 Sqn - another unit heavily involved in the Battle - and they have a picture of the particular aircraft you painted!

http://www.rafweb.org/SqnMark041A.htm

I know, I know - I'm rivet counting and I'm the first to say it does absolutely NOTHING to detract from your great job.

Please keep up the good work.

Cheers
    BuV

The “Observer Corps” was an organization which collected funds for the construction of a Spitfire IIa, P7666. It was assigned to 41 Sqn November 1940. It carries the “Observer Corps” emblem with the Elizabethan watchman, signal fire and approaching Spanish ships. While with 41 Sqn this Spitfire was flown by SqL Don O. Finlay. The 2 swastikas represent the 2 BF109E he shot down during November 1940. The aircraft was then assigned to 54 Sqn February 1941. It was then flown by PO Jack Stokoe when it was shot down April 1941. He had shot down a BF110 and then bailed out over the channel.
    Blohmundvoss, thanks. You are right. It's always very interesting to read about the history behind these "forgotten" pilots. However, I found the above after some more web research. So maybe we are both right? :ernae:

Morton

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries
    I'm beginning to assume that the damage textures function doesn't seem to function on this aircraft ( after being blasted by bomber gunners to no visible effect) thus rendering my efforts to do damage BMPs for each skin an exercise in futility . Oh well!

Quote Originally Posted by sc7500 View Post
    Morton, Thou Art a Stout Fellow.

Thank You
    SC

My thanks too Morton:salute:

Bones
    My Dad's last words to me were, "Son, an eagle may soar to great heights, but a weasel never gets sucked into a jet engine..."
    And then he died...
    He was sucked into a jet engine...

Two thumbs up !
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano

Many thanks!

Thank you very much Morton, for yet another series of your master artworks!

Please, allow me to correct your early statement about the availablity of early-war Spitfire MkIs and MkIAs.
    I am still flying and enjoying a lot Merlin66's YAS Spitfire MKIA ver.2, the PR-F version to be exact, which I noticed several times not everybody knows about it, as everybody wrote about the DW-K early v.1 version, when the subject came up.

In this version, Merlin66 corrected all the weird cloning when damaged that occurs on version 1 and its framerate is unbeatable, even better than the much earlier VB's MkIA release. A while ago, even RobH neglected this version and dedicated a library of beautiful BoB repaints to YAS MkIA version 1. He even had Merlin66 rework the mdl to be able to paint spinners and the peculiar half-white, half-black underside RAF livery of the period. But something happened in the process and all the cloning problems of the DW-K release resurfaced even if Merlin66 had released a fix pack earlier.

YAS Spitfire MkIA PR-F v.2 resolved all those issues and it's easier to repaint too. I tried a couple myself, mixing Merlin66's livery of his MkIIA (PK-K) with the original squadron codes and registration numbers. I also created a new one, Al Deere's KL-B, but I haven't uploaded it because I am not sure whether it carried the Kiwi emblem on both sides of the fuselage or just one, by the side of the Spitfire cockpit small entry door. I've seen pictures of models on the net depicting both versions of Al Deere's mount KL-B, but I am sure only one is the historically correct.

See them attached, but they are nothing compared to your class. As no one ever repainted it, Merlin66 only offered a DW-N skin for it that I reworked, would you consider doing a couple of skins for YAS MkIA v.2 (PR-F)?

Although nice, I remember reading someone's thread reporting that AH's version mdl is not even multi-LOD. It does show it, when used in large numbers.

Cheers!
    KH
    :ernae:
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Truly gorgeous, Morton! Almost makes me want to do a ETO install!
    Best Regards,
    Ghostrider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by kelticheart View Post
    Thank you very much Morton, for yet another series of your master artworks!

Please, allow me to correct your early statement about the availablity of early-war Spitfire MkIs and MkIAs.
    I am still flying and enjoying a lot Merlin66's YAS Spitfire MKIA ver.2, the PR-F version to be exact, which I noticed several times not everybody knows about it, as everybody wrote about the DW-K early v.1 version, when the subject came up.

In this version, Merlin66 corrected all the weird cloning when damaged that occurs on version 1 and its framerate is unbeatable, even better than the much earlier VB's MkIA release. A while ago, even RobH neglected this version and dedicated a library of beautiful BoB repaints to YAS MkIA version 1. He even had Merlin66 rework the mdl to be able to paint spinners and the peculiar half-white, half-black underside RAF livery of the period. But something happened in the process and all the cloning problems of the DW-K release resurfaced even if Merlin66 had released a fix pack earlier.

YAS Spitfire MkIA PR-F v.2 resolved all those issues and it's easier to repaint too. I tried a couple myself, mixing Merlin66's livery of his MkIIA (PK-K) with the original squadron codes and registration numbers. I also created a new one, Al Deere's KL-B, but I haven't uploaded it because I am not sure whether it carried the Kiwi emblem on both sides of the fuselage or just one, by the side of the Spitfire cockpit small entry door. I've seen pictures of models on the net depicting both versions of Al Deere's mount KL-B, but I am sure only one is the historically correct.

See them attached, but they are nothing compared to your class. As no one ever repainted it, Merlin66 only offered a DW-N skin for it that I reworked, would you consider doing a couple of skins for YAS MkIA v.2 (PR-F)?

Although nice, I remember reading someone's thread reporting that AH's version mdl is not even multi-LOD. It does show it, when used in large numbers.

Cheers!
    KH
    :ernae:
    Thanks for the tip KH. Will have to take a look and compare both of them. Nice skins too!!

:iidea: Now I remember it Kelticheart! I have that YAS spit MK1 somewhere. I have to get it into the sky and have a look at it again. It sure looks ok. Would be a "piece of cake" maybe to adapt some additional skins for it based on the same texture. I'll check it out later. Meanwhile I'm doing a similar BOB pack for the AH Hurricane MK1.

Mort

Members who have read this thread: 58