A reminder to Back up,save to Ext drives......

Thread: A reminder to Back up,save to Ext drives......

A reminder to Back up,save to Ext drives......

3 days ago I was on Youtube and ZAP.... Computer froze and then auto rebooted. Well it TRIED. The dreaded flashing cursor and inabilty to boot or even get into safe mode. Something about file partition error,missing table bla bla..... Yup, corrupted HD. Had to reload my OS and then the tedious process of reloading FSX. As of now still not %100 3 days later. This time around I am leaving off Mytraffic,planes,helis I rarely fly and most all sceneries. Going to concentrate on Warbirds and using Instant scenery to remake some local grass strips.

Easiest to reinstall. Simmarket. Just log in and its all there with updates. Biggest PITA. Flight1. Keys to locate, multiple credit card numbers. Mess up or exceed and its email and wait.
    I do not even want to talk about Simconnect issues!
    So make a dedicated folder for paywares. A separate folder for each dowloaded addon,updates and also reinstall ifo. Serials,keys, DNA sample ect....

This is only my second crash in 3 years, the last was a Raptor HD flying apart, so I cannot complain. That said I would rather have blood taken from my eyes than go through this again.

FWIW, this morning I turned on my secondary system to check on some file on on of it's four HDs. Got an error saying the 4th HD was gone! Second or third would have been better, as the 4th has 1.5TB of mesh source on it waiting to be worked. On a hunch, I disconnected the SATA cord for HD #3, put it on HD #4 and restarted the system. Turned out on of the HD cables was (had) gone bad. I have a few of those laying about.

Backups are a good thing, but I have one HD (there's 13 total...) that was used to back up some other mesh source. A one and done affair. It doesn't want to work anymore. One big file copy process and it looks like it's done. Remember to backup your backups... :mixedsmi:

I've found flight1 top be quite easy if you have a login.. It just checks your purchase history and installs if you're verified. No need to remember serials, keys or an old cc#

-Damien

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Members who have read this thread: 31