Single best texture add-on

Thread: Single best texture add-on

Single best texture add-on

Hi guys. I have been considering buying some textures(scenery) to improve the looks of FSX but not being a computer guy installation must be simple. Bought FScene for FS2004 and it looks much better, but before spending any money thought I'd ask for your advise. I have been reading this forum for several months and have been very impressed with the amount of knowledge here. You have helped me on several questions just by reading these threads, and for that thanks...

If you like to fly where their scenery is, Orbx FTX is probably the best. However, Ground Environment X (GEX) is excellent and is more cost effective because it covers much larger areas.

If you don't already have it, get some Scenery Tech land class. It's not expensive and with GEX makes a huge improvement to FSX. Also, check out Ultimate Terrain X.

Joe

Not to hijack this thread, and start a new one. But I have GEX and UTX and REX (don't care for REX). Is there a spacific order to install these? Also is there any known conflics with FS water. This is a new install. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XLR8 View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, and start a new one. But I have GEX and UTX and REX (don't care for REX). Is there a spacific order to install these? Also is there any known conflics with FS water. This is a new install. Thanks
    Go over to simforums.com that's where the GEX & UTX support forums are. They've addressed your question in detail and also discuss REX.

Joe

Thanks for the reply Joe. What is Scenery Tech land class? As you can probably tell I've spent most of my money on aircraft and haven't got into the scenery part yet but after awhile it all starts looking the same.. Have seen screen shots of Orbix but was more interested in an overall improvement worldwide. Will look at Ground environment x. I have been around real airplanes all my life as my dad had a Champ when I was born, He flew a PBY-5 out of Alaska with the Coast Guard. He met my mother at Convair in Ft. Worth, Tx. He was a hydraulic supervisor on the B-36 and mother worked in the payroll office. Guess you could say I'm here because of airplanes! I worked at Gregg Aviation ( East Texas Regional) going to college and learned to fly there. I have about 250 hrs. total time. Mostly fly R/C and FSX now...

GEX and UTX. Throw in Activysky to have realistic dynamic weather and you are set.

Thanks for the info guys!!! Who makes UTX?

Quote Originally Posted by jamminjames View Post
    Thanks for the info guys!!! Who makes UTX?
    Flight1. I have UTX, it was the first payware enhancement that I bought for FSX. I like it a lot. My enhancements are freeware scenery textures, UTX and Active Sky 2012.

UTX can be found at this link.

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=utxusa
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

+1 On the UTX + ActiveSky 2012 combo. I also stick in the FSG Landclass file which seems to tweak up the combo a little more.

I have tried several mixtures of UTX, FSG, GEX, REX and AS2012. Out of the bunch, the combo above seems to make the areas and weather that I am familiar look the most accurate to me.

FAC

I've gained a wealth of knowledge from you guys. I went to the websites for the various products listed and feel I have a much better understanding now.. I would like to THANK all and also say what a WONDERFUL site this is!!!! Thanks for having me...

Quote Originally Posted by jamminjames View Post
    Thanks for the reply Joe. What is Scenery Tech land class? As you can probably tell I've spent most of my money on aircraft and haven't got into the scenery part yet but after awhile it all starts looking the same.. Have seen screen shots of Orbix but was more interested in an overall improvement worldwide. Will look at Ground environment x. I have been around real airplanes all my life as my dad had a Champ when I was born, He flew a PBY-5 out of Alaska with the Coast Guard. He met my mother at Convair in Ft. Worth, Tx. He was a hydraulic supervisor on the B-36 and mother worked in the payroll office. Guess you could say I'm here because of airplanes! I worked at Gregg Aviation ( East Texas Regional) going to college and learned to fly there. I have about 250 hrs. total time. Mostly fly R/C and FSX now...
    Hi,

Google the word "landclass" and the first two items will answer your questions.

Joe

Thank you sir. Those sites really answer my questions.

Terrain Mesh

Now that you know about landclass and textures you'll have to check out "terrain mesh", if you don't already have it. It make a big difference. The default FSX is terrible. Take a look at FSGlobal and FSGenesis.

Joe

While we are talking texture addons....

I had a system crash and did a full OS reinstall. Took 3 days to rebuild FSX to how it was but with once exception. I finally "upgraded?" to Activesky 2012 from the older Evolution.
    Since its not cheap and had its own clouds, I decided to simply things and not reload Flight Enviroment Extreme. Well, after staring at the FEX clouds/skies/sunsets ect for 3 years,IMO Activesky 2012 just does not cut it.
    All their clouds looks like cotton balls. No character or realism but cookie cutter clouds randomly thrown around. White powder puffs but in the menus their were page after page of clouds with strange names but to my eyes all looked about the same. That said their runways textures,taxiways,roads,railroads and of course their weather system are great. In the setup menus you can easily disable which textures not to load,clouds........ and then I reinstalled FEX utilizing their clouds/skies ect ect......
    Clouds have character,variations in color,intensity. I flew around some huge thunderstorms and saw rain columns coming out of lower clouds and hitting the ground. Just amazing clouds and with Activesky running the weather its a perfect combination.

As far as mesh... Maybe things have changed and they worked it out but unless its a custom scenery I had issues. The main one was all the airports were lifted on mesas and stuck out like a sore thumb.