... and to the Republic for Which We Stand ... - Page 14
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 46789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: ... and to the Republic for Which We Stand ...

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Just another plug for how great those '72 paints look.

I don't know what it is about smoothly faired radial engines with spinners ... Hawker Tempest II, Hawker Sea Fury, Hughes XF-11, and now XP-72 ... it's about as close to a fetish as I think I come!

And yes, am getting a real kick out of the fictional ideas. Most are plausible, all are thoroughly entertaining to consider. One nasty evil rewrite of history that's rolling through my head goes like this ...

"On 6 July, 1944, Republic announced its first successful foray into carrier-borne fighter aircraft, having beat the Douglas XBT2D-1 / AD-1 Skyraider prototype for the US Navy's long-range attack aircraft requirements with a navalised adaptation of the high-performance P-72. Then, in the very late 40s, as engine problems plagued development of the Westland Wyvern, the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm looked at Republic's A7D2 Sea Striker with growing interest ..."

Alas, no folding wing/tailhook, but a man can dream, right?

Anyway - progress shots look great, gang - looking forward to this one.

DL
    Fascinating read. delta_lima - plausible angle re-RN Fleet Air Arm requirements too. I could go along with that.

The XP-72 seems to have the spirit of various aircraft rolled into one. At certain angles I can see the later marks of Spitfires/Seafires and something of the Blackburn Firebrand as well.

But as Duckie says; I have a fertile imagination, and it's got me into trouble more than once...

Quick Skipper, Tom, Steve... we'd better do a runner before we gets asked for wingfolds and skyhooks...
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

....... but a man can dream, right?.....
    Hey DL,

Talk about dreaming, I can't believe Republic never came out with a bubble top version of the XP-47J......

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Quote Originally Posted by tommieboy View Post
    Hey DL,

Talk about dreaming, I can't believe Republic never came out with a bubble top version of the XP-47J......

Tommy
    Well, had it gotten past a testing stage, they might have; but we did it for them.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Well, had it gotten past a testing stage, they might have; but we did it for them.
    Thanks for the reply Milton, I was so tied up the the yellow nose XP-47J 353rd FS repaint, I hadn't notice the other models........

I guess what I should have more clearly stated, is that I was wondering why Republic never outfitted the bubble top P-47D with the front end of the XP-47J? It would have been an awesome looking aircraft. They could have called it the P-47 DJ.....

In any case, thanks to you and the rest of the team for all the hard work that you have put into these projects.

Tommy

EDIT...

I knew I saw this "what if" combo somewhere....

http://www.inpayne.com/whatif/whatif2.html
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

Thanks for the reply Milton, I was so tied up the the yellow nose XP-47J 353rd FS repaint, I hadn't notice the other models........ I guess what I should have more clearly stated, is that I was wondering why Republic never outfitted the bubble top P-47D with the front end of the XP-47J? It would have been an awesome looking aircraft. They could have called it the P-47 DJ..... In any case, thanks to you and the rest of the team for all the hard work that you have put into these projects. Tommy EDIT... I knew I saw this "what if" combo somewhere.... http://www.inpayne.com/whatif/whatif2.html
    It could be they were looking for all out speed. Some P-51 pilots stayed with the high back P-51B/C as long as they could before going to the P-51D because they preferred the extra speed versus the better visibility.

The Republic XP-72 is now uploaded

Just uploaded the final of the 3 Experimentals, the XP-72. We hope you enjoy them.

See it here when available: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=18562&catid=6

Nigel says the paint kit should be out early next week.

Have a nice weekend
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Just saw the XP-72 pop up, downloading as I type this. Can't wait to unpack it.

Thanks to you and the team for these great models.

PF

Just uploaded the final of the 3 Experimentals, the XP-72. We hope you enjoy them.....
    Ahhhhhhh.......the XP-72........

Can't wait to see what the painters do with this one! Should be a blast!

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

Just took a morning flight over Singapour, has to be the finest bear metal paint ive ever seen in FS9, a wonderful gift, thanks so much Milton and
    team
    cheers ian

This is great news! Can't believe that someone snuck the XP-72 out onto the service ramp, and I didn't see it coming. Can't wait to jump into her!

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

I knew I saw this "what if" combo somewhere....

http://www.inpayne.com/whatif/whatif2.html
    I'd love to see the Israeli repaint!
    Matt

Icon14

All models installed now... Really amazing 3D models Milton... Many Thank's again...

Over the dozen years or so that I have been flight simming, I have to admit to a strong preference to civil aircraft, as long as they have props and pistons that is. I can't start to count the hours put into the DC3 or a certain D18 (with a passing nod to another thread on here), and certain Avias with only occasional outings in anything military. I have the usual selection of Spits, Hurricanes, Lancasters etc., but unless in the mood they remain hangar-bound.
    One aircraft seems to have changed all that!!!
    I have no talent at all in even attempting to develop aircraft, just one of the many lucky people who benefit from those who have the ability and what must amount to countless hours of dedication and patience.
    So, if I may speak not just for myself but also for everyone in my position, I offer sincere thanks to Mr Shupe and all his associates, not just for the latest offering, but for all the aircraft he has given us over the years.
    Although in the UK, I am now a committed Republican!!!
    David

Hi Milton, what paint is that?

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards

Quick Skipper, Tom, Steve... we'd better do a runner before we gets asked for wingfolds and skyhooks...

Please Mr can we have a tailhook?

Ttfn

Pete

Get ready, you all... I'm about to kill another thread. Something I am notorious for LOL!

Perhaps a navy, carrier borne version of the Superbolt in the dark blue skin used by later versions of the F4U Corsair. I'm just sayin....

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Hi Milton & team,

I had taken a little break from flying (had been painting two liveries for the CBFSim Heron instead, plus payed some attention to another interest: my family heritage). Now I have done some flying with the three super P-47s. Wow! They are real hot stuff. Quite a switch from the slow and heavy twin engined aircraft.
    A first for me: trying to get into a spin with the corncob version (successfully), then trying to get her out of the spin the way I learned it in real world (glider)flying, using the pedals in the first place. No luck! Not a very forgiving girl. ;-) I'l really have to practise at high altitude. Fun!

Engine sounds are awesome. So are the textures!

Great work, chaps!

Cheers,
    Maarten

And yes, am getting a real kick out of the fictional ideas. Most are plausible, all are thoroughly entertaining to consider. One nasty evil rewrite of history that's rolling through my head goes like this ...

DL
    Likewise from The Times, 1972 " Guatemalan forces today invaded the British territory of British Honduras, the invasion was preceded by air attacks from the base at Puerto Barrios, using veteran WWII era machines, proving to be highly effective against the lightly equipped British Honduras guard force of Royal Marines"

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/350/pics/190_1_b1.jpg

or the Brazilian...

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...ve-d5dy18j.jpg

c'mon Nigel get painting!!

ttfn

Pete

Its fictional, Guatemala didn't invade, nearly did. BTW forgot to ask, do the textures work on all model versions for the relevant armed /unarmed models?

By request, WIP...

Outstanding paint kit, Nigel!

Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Blog Entries
    djs1; on behalf of the team, many thanks for your good words.

Pleased to have another 'convert' aboard - happy flying!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
    Hi Milton & team,

I had taken a little break from flying (had been painting two liveries for the CBFSim Heron instead, plus payed some attention to another interest: my family heritage). Now I have done some flying with the three super P-47s. Wow! They are real hot stuff. Quite a switch from the slow and heavy twin engined aircraft.
    A first for me: trying to get into a spin with the corncob version (successfully), then trying to get her out of the spin the way I learned it in real world (glider)flying, using the pedals in the first place. No luck! Not a very forgiving girl. ;-) I'l really have to practise at high altitude. Fun!

Engine sounds are awesome. So are the textures!

Great work, chaps!

Cheers,
    Maarten
    Happy flying, Maarten - your comments are much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Likewise from The Times, 1972 " Guatemalan forces today invaded the British territory of British Honduras, the invasion was preceded by air attacks from the base at Puerto Barrios, using veteran WWII era machines, proving to be highly effective against the lightly equipped British Honduras guard force of Royal Marines"

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/350/pics/190_1_b1.jpg

or the Brazilian...

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...ve-d5dy18j.jpg

c'mon Nigel get painting!!

ttfn

Pete

Its fictional, Guatemala didn't invade, nearly did. BTW forgot to ask, do the textures work on all model versions for the relevant armed /unarmed models?
    LOL.

Thanks Pete: these versions were a response to your interesting input during the last days of development.

Yes, all textures can be used for all models.

There is a paintkit out there for anyone wishing to take up the challenge (I'd certainly love to see some of the great ideas here come to fruition - including Fleet Air Arm variants). So the ball's now firmly in your court(s) Gentlemen.

As for me; full speed ahead on our next project.

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    By request, WIP...

Outstanding paint kit, Nigel!

Aha!!! Beautiful work Duckie, as always!

Meticulous eye for fine detail and always very believable concepts - looking forward to this!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Blog Entries
    Awesome!!!!!

Looks splendid, Steve. Many thanks.

DL

Blog Entries
    Milton you and your team have absolutely OUTDONE yourself! This is the finest freeware in my inventory of aircraft! Thank you soooooooooo much!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    Aha!!! Beautiful work Duckie, as always!

Meticulous eye for fine detail and always very believable concepts - looking forward to this!
    Thanks Nigel. It wouldn't be near the looker it is without those absolutely awesome metal textures you have so artfully and skillfully crafted, not to mention generously given to us repainters to work (play?) with!

Please allow me to also add my thanks to those who have so kindly commented on the Republic Project as well as all those downloaders who wanted to take a closer look.
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d