HP C97G

Thread: HP C97G

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

HP C97G

Any ideas about what is causing this?

Attachment 69445Attachment 69446

These texture are right out of the download, unmodified.
    :mixedsmi:

Possibly in wrong format for FS9

Try a back up of the 2 textures and then fire up DXTbmp to convert to DXT3 and see if that helps

Matt
    Usually found in Sony Vegas creating the next FS Video and occasionally repainting for movie purposes

http://www.youtube.com/user/UKVoodooUK

Spring chicken to s***ehawk in one easy lesson

daga daga daga daga daga daga daga daga

Could also be a typo in the texture names. Depending on how the fuselage is mapped there could be four individual textures that make up the whole and only three are named properly.

Cheers
    Stefan

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Sunny & will ck on that.

We"ve been partially successful, to wit:

Attachment 69474

However, the other side of the bird still displays as before:

Attachment 69475

Checking the texture file name(s).:salute:

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Here's the other texture I'm having problems with, the natural metal B377 -

Attachment 69483

The textures displaying properly are 1024X1024 32-bit, no alpha. I ran the right aft texture through imagetool, it keeps coming back to 1024X1024 32-bit alpha "colorkey." I don't know what's causing the black lines on the left front of the aircraft.

All individual texture files within the texture folder are properly named.

The other possibility is of course that the textures are not for this particular version of the aircraft. Sometimes when a designer reworks his model things are changed that affect the texture mapping.
    And of course there is always the possibility that the textures are for a 97 from a different designer altogether.

Maybe if you share the pertinent file names we can bring light into the mystery.

Cheers
    Stefan

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    No problem - but first thing in the morning, getting ready to turn in!

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    b377_pk.zip for the plain metal paint kit;
    c97_tanker.zip for the HP C-97G tanker.

The paint kit is by Greg Pepper for his GMAX 377; the tanker file is supposed to work with the CalClassics B377. I have both aircraft in my sims.

try renaming the leftaft_t.bmp to leftaft_v2_t.bmp
    see if that doesn't help
    JohnH_049

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    That did the trick - they're both showing as they should.

Next thing to figure out is why this is happening on some of the other -377s even with the correct file names on them.

Try opening the textures from one that works and one that doesn't and compare the textures. It looks to me as if they may by mirrored in the vertical axis.

Cheers
    Stefan

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Under one of these textures, I'm noticing the alpha channel is called "colorkey." Usually the alphas I've seen are grey-toned, or white indicating there isn't an alpha at all.

As long as you have a backup of the original I would simply experiment with the textures and see what differences are there and what happens when you change things around.
    Worst case you don't get anywhere with it....best case you solve the puzzle

As I said earlier my guess is that something is flipped one way or the other on a texture sheet or the file names are correct in their spelling but not in which texture sheet they really represent.
    In one of my repaints I managed to save "fuse_front_left.bmp" as "fuse_rear_left.bmp" and so on all the way around the airplane. Basically offsetting every sheet by 90 degrees
    Made for a very interesting looking aircraft.

Side by side comparison of the texture sheets or if you have a good paint program layering one over the other usually clears that really quick.

Cheers
    Stefan

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I'm using ImageTool to do the correcting, along with DXTBitmap. So far I've been able to handle both original problem textures plus two others that were similar (i.e., l/r of aircraft being greyed out). Right now we're down to one. My thanks to you and the others who've written in with suggestions - and hints to look more closely at both the naming conventions plus whether the texture name matches what's in the file to begin with!:salute:

I noted the bare metal B377 paint kit aircraft has some prominent black lines on its left side, like a grid. Not being familiar with repainting programs - are these indexing lines to help someone who is a repainter line things up properly?

P.S. - forgot to ask, what is "colorkey" under "alpha" in ImageTool?

The black lines in the paintkit are there as more or less a guide layer.
    you should be able to turn those layers off in your paint program, if it handles layers.
    JohnH_049

Members who have read this thread: 58