Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hu-16 Rescue Pack

Hu-16 Rescue Pack

Thought some of you might be interested in this.... It's over at Flightsim

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Modern MilitaryFS2004 Grumman Albatross Rescue Pack
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: hu-16_rescue.zip
    Size: 31,510,346 Date: 07-18-2012 Downloads: 60

FS2004 Grumman Albatross Rescue Pack for HU-16 model v2.1. This v2.1 model has a co-pilot, and floats in a seperate texture mostly for the USCG versions. A product of the "Grumman Ironworks" this amphibian has stood the test of time. Few military aircraft have seen such widespread service as the Albatross has. Original by Greg Pepper and Michael Verlin. Model by "Swingman" and Ricardo Batalha. Sounds by Skysong Soundworks and textures by Michael Verlin. Some texture mods by James Craig.
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

USCG HU-16

Thanks for the heads up Blackbird.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

OK, now I'm confused.

A couple months ago Michael Verlin released version 2.1 of the Albatross. There was no mention of Swingman. Soon afte that he released the panel separately.

Now he's released version 2.1 with Swingman.

The contents of the two "version 2.1" zip files are different, yet the version numbers are the same.

Is the new v2.1 meant to replace the old v2.1? Are they two different models?

Does anyone know what's up with this?

Will the real version 2.1 please stand up?

I was trying to incorporate SW lighting into the 'new' model, so I copied and pasted my light entry from the 'original'.
    The coordinates are completely different, which indicates a re-modelled version.

Downloaded this package, installed it. The first thing that jumped out at me that needed tweaked was the eye point setting...too far back and too high. Here's my tweaked setting:

eyepoint=15, -1.9812, 3.7

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I just fired up ACM to compare the model files in the V 2_1 package and the "Swingman" version. The V2_1 version has a polygon count of 17,423 and the newer "Swingman" model has a polygon count of 18,558. Not sure what all has been tweaked in the newer model file, but 1100 polygons worth of stuff/refinements have been added....and that is a pretty significant bit of work.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There is a new "short wing" version posted today at Flightsim.com by swingman and Micheal Verlin. Seems to be more mods of Greg's original V2.1 model, now controlled by Micheal, since Greg's passing.

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Modern MilitaryFS2004 Short Winged UF-1/HU-16 Albatross
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: albatross_sw.zip
    Size: 93,429,186 Date: 07-22-2012 Downloads: 139

FS2004 Short Winged UF-1/HU-16 Albatross. Often called the DC-3 of the water, the Albatross became one of those hand-me-down aircraft. Four different models by ("Swingman"), nineteen different textures by Michael Verlin and James Craig
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

I just saw that over at flightsim and was going to post it here... but you beat me to the punch, modelr...:isadizzy:.

It's a beast of a download, lots of different textures.

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

HU-16 packages at Flightsim.com

A word of explanation appears in order to sort out any confusion. When Greg Pepper finished the work on version 2 of the Albatross, he sent me all of his files, including the GMAX source.

A few months ago James Craig wrote and asked me for it. He wanted to add a co-pilot and change the model to allow for the floats to be modified to allow different colors to be applied to the inner and outer surface of the float pylon to allow a more accurate rendition of the USCG UF-2's. The pylons are painted white on the inside and red on the outside. He found a modeler who was willing to make these changes, since I am unable to do this. That explains the rescue package.

The other package with the short wings is more involved. For those who don't know the history of the Albatross, the original production models entered service in 1951. The designations were UF-1 for the Navy, UF-1G for the Coast Guard, and SA-16 for the Air Force. In 1962, the designator was made uniform for all the services as HU-16.

The original aircraft was designed with an 80 foot wingspan (UF-1, UF-1G, SA-16A). The long wing version was developed to improve adverse performance during single engine operation. The new model (UF-2, UF-2G, SA-16B) entered service in 1959. The wingspan was increased to 96 feet, 8 inches. Wing area went from 883 square feet to 1,035 square feet.

James Craig's efforts have added to the historic accuracy of Greg Pepper's model.

Michael Verlin

Will repaints from the earlier releases work with this newer version?

Ot to ask this from another perspective, are there some additional considerations needed to convert the earlier repaints to use with the version 2.1 models?

:ernae:
    --WH

Repaints

[QUOTE=WarHorse47;732883]Will repaints from the earlier releases work with this newer version?

Ot to ask this from another perspective, are there some additional considerations needed to convert the earlier repaints to use with the version 2.1 models?

:ernae:

The issue for the HU-16B repaints is that the floats have a separate texture, so they won't be properly rendered.

The issue for the HU-16A repaints is also the fact that the shorter wings won't render the wingtips for the old repaints.

So the short answer is NO. We'll have to get the necessary paint kit together. We will notify everyone when that is done.

Thank you sir for continuing the legacy for this aircraft and to James and Swingman for their efforts.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Revised Repaints and Paint Kits for short and long wing HU-16

Just uploaded revised textures and paint kits for both short and long wing versions of the Albatross.

Michael Verlin

Michael,

Your version 2 never leaves my "active" aircraft folder. Can't say the same for another (payware) version. Very grateful you keep developing and improving this classic.

expat
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Here is a challenge for the repainters out there . .

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Grumm...5fb5dcb18d30a8
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

that's a nice scheme, a touch too executive looking for me, but still a very nice scheme....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wynn View Post
    that's a nice scheme, a touch too executive looking for me, but still a very nice scheme....
    Well, it does belong to an executive, the same one that owns the Howard 500 I believe.

Edit: This is what it looked like after restoration, so I am not certain this is the same.

Edit2: Probably not the same one
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

I find my long wing model (using it in FSX with a alternative freeware vc released a few years back) "sticks" on the water and I can't take off. Otherwise flies normally in all other respects. Is that a contact point tweak or should I add some oomph to the thrust scalar?

Also, the 2.1 short wing version has some strange behavior (FSX again) on the water, namely the engines quit and won't restart. They operate normally for land based operations.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    I find my long wing model (using it in FSX with a alternative freeware vc released a few years back) "sticks" on the water and I can't take off. Otherwise flies normally in all other respects. Is that a contact point tweak or should I add some oomph to the thrust scalar?

Also, the 2.1 short wing version has some strange behavior (FSX again) on the water, namely the engines quit and won't restart. They operate normally for land based operations.
    Can't really help you with the 'Tross sticking to the water...but the short wing engine problem...that I can help you with. I pulled the plane up in ACM and found that the engine position is way low.....the engines are not high enough to line up with the visual location of the engines....they are well over 1/2 way down the fuselage height....thus the props are touching the water. Give me a few minutes and I will fire up ACM and put the engines up where they should be and will post the new engine info here for all to have....be right back.....

And I'm back....here's the corrected engine position information....Just copy and paste these two lines into your aircraft.cfg in the correct position under [General EngineData]:

engine.0 = 9, -10, 6.75,
    engine.1 = 9, 10, 6.75,

This will get the props up out of the water and have your short wing Albatrosses running correctly on water.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mystery solved! Tim, as always, you are a star. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Here is a challenge for the repainters out there . .

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Grumm...5fb5dcb18d30a8
    I think I might take a closer look at that one. It sure is a pretty paint job. We'll see how it turns out.

I think the one Milton referenced was at least for a while based at KCMA in a hangar with a Lodestar conversion, but not the Howard 500. I think I have some pictures of both somewhere to refresh my memory

Cheers
    Stefan

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Just set down from a thoroughly enjoyable local flight with the new short-wing UF-1 out of Alameda. Will apply Obio's fix probably in the AM. I have noted the landing lights come on but do not swing from the vertical to the horizontal, even with using "ctrl-shift-keypad no." They do, however, swivel left and right.

Not sure what the animation was linked to, but something like Water Rudder, Wing Fold or Concord Nose Visor usually does the trick.

And I was correct N44HQ is indeed the Albatross at KCMA. Now I just need to find the pictures of it and the Lodestar conversion. Miles or something like that was the name of the conversion.
    And no they are not the same aircraft. N98TP is the reg # of the pretty blue one and both are still flying as of last month

Cheers
    Stefan

Yes, the landing lights are linked to the water rudder switch.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Thanks!!:salute: