Hu-16 Rescue Pack - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hu-16 Rescue Pack

I think I might take a closer look at that one. It sure is a pretty paint job. We'll see how it turns out.
    Looking forward to it Stefan!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Grumman HU-16 repaint?

Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Here is a challenge for the repainters out there . .

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Grumm...5fb5dcb18d30a8
    What an ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL airplane!
    ...things will go as they will; and there's no use hurrying to meet them.

HU-16 C and D Models 'Rescue' Pac - handling

Having noted EXPAT's probs in FSX with engine cut-outs on landing on water and having applied OBIO's remedy ie raise the engine placement ht to clear the props of the water. I undertook some further trials in FS9.

Had to comprehensively revise the float contact pts in both the C and D, HU-16. Also had to raise engine placement ht to 12.75 - almost twice that needed in FSX.

Decided to go back to land and practice a few concentrated circuits to really expose the handling of these a/c. Found a trait I had not encountered before - reducing throttles firmly in flt made the nose rise quite sharply in direct relation to the speed of throttle reduction. Not what you need on the final flare. Contrariwise - firm increase in the throttles gives a corresponding nose dip.

Both initial nose rise and dip, in relation to the throttle decrease or increase, eventually died down, but made for very uncertain final touchdowns. This was not due to the increased eng placement height as reversion to lower or original heights did not remove this pattern..

Anyone else experiencing this 'throttle up - nose down; throttle down - nose up;' effect?

Was energised to also try out the 'other' Version 2.1 done by Verlin. Will report back later.

Mal

Hey thanks Mal for taking up these settings issues. Always found the handling of this bird a bit odd on older versions, particularly in the cruise pitch, and landing flare departments!

In FSX I think I had the engines up as high as 12.75 but the engines/props still stopped in water so not sure how to fix this; I think I am right that it is the last value you need to change for height?

(Again in FSX) I can now use the 2.1 long winged version. Was previously unable to get it to lift off the water but lightening the fuel and payload I can just manage to get airborne. Would like to have the short wing usable as I like the no tanks/radar options.

HU-16 V2.1, Rescue Pack and Albatross SW

Expat,
    I have used the Albatross V2.1 (Michael Verlin's), updated to his latest Air and FDE files, as the flt model to go for. Files concerned are: Grumman_albatross_v_2_1.zip updated with the air and config files in h-16_2_1_fde_ll.zip.

Have then used these new air and fde files in the Rescue Pack and Albatross SW pack with the excellent models produced by Ricardo Batalha and Swingman.

Had to adjust contact pts, viewpoints and a/c light placements (incl Shockwave lts).

Apart from some anomaly with the landing lights flood effect (both lts have a flood when a/c on land, only a flood on port side on water) both conversions work very well. As Michael states, it is a heavy a/c and although the twin cyclones can cope, there is no surplus on the pwr side, careful use of trim for T/O and landing also reqd. Not an exciting a/c to fly, but rewarding in a good Labrador sort of way.

If you have any probs let me know and I can PM my cfg settings to you.

rgds
    Mal

Expat wrote:

"I find my long wing model (using it in FSX with a alternative freeware vc released a few years back) "sticks" on the water and I can't take off. Otherwise flies normally in all other respects. Is that a contact point tweak or should I add some oomph to the thrust scalar?

Also, the 2.1 short wing version has some strange behavior (FSX again) on the water, namely the engines quit and won't restart. They operate normally for land based operations."

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    Can't really help you with the 'Tross sticking to the water...but the short wing engine problem...that I can help you with. I pulled the plane up in ACM and found that the engine position is way low.....the engines are not high enough to line up with the visual location of the engines....they are well over 1/2 way down the fuselage height....thus the props are touching the water. Give me a few minutes and I will fire up ACM and put the engines up where they should be and will post the new engine info here for all to have....be right back.....

And I'm back....here's the corrected engine position information....Just copy and paste these two lines into your aircraft.cfg in the correct position under [General EngineData]:

engine.0 = 9, -10, 6.75,
    engine.1 = 9, 10, 6.75,

This will get the props up out of the water and have your short wing Albatrosses running correctly on water.

OBIO

Has anyone by chance already solved this for FS2004. I can't imagine I'm the first to try to fly the Albatross out of the water in FS2004. I tried the fix above by Obio but it doesn't work in FS2004. The engines run just fine on land based operations, but the moment you enter the water the engines quit and can't be restarted. This is for the Grumman Short Winged Albatross "albatross_sw.zip" on Flightsim.com (its a beautiful aircraft model).

Thanks!

Bill

I thought I would just bump this thread every once in a while to see if someone comes along who has already solved this in FS9. I've tried the technique described in this thread to move the engine location up and out of the water (to the point that I can see the startup effects about 10 feet above the aircraft) but the engines still die the moment you enter the water (or spawn in the water). The engines run just fine during land operations.

Thanks!

Bill

Hi Bill

I have modified the aircraft.cfg so now the engines don't die when entering the water. All I changed was contact points, lights and viewpoints.

This is for the short wing version in FS2004. Depends on how close you are to the Max gross weight, it can take up to 15 seconds to start moving on the water, but it does get there.

Hope this works for you.

Cheers
    Andre

Albatross_aircraft.zip
    www.arpaints.weebly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andre19 View Post
    Hi Bill

I have modified the aircraft.cfg so now the engines don't die when entering the water. All I changed was contact points, lights and viewpoints.

This is for the short wing version in FS2004. Depends on how close you are to the Max gross weight, it can take up to 15 seconds to start moving on the water, but it does get there.

Hope this works for you.

Cheers
    Andre

Albatross_aircraft.zip
    Thank you, Andre!!!

I just took her up last night with your new aircraft.cfg file above and she flies out of the water just great now! She's a bit slow coming out of the water as you mentioned, but I was able to pull 3200 lbs of fish up out of the water on an Air Hauler job at Barrow, Alaska and deliver it to a small field in central Alaska. She handled just fine all the way in.

Cheers!

Bill

P.S. This is a very nice amphibian model that comes with 19 repaints and 4 models (slick, radar, external tanks, radar and external tanks) in the base pack if you haven't tried her out. She always flew just fine from land and now also works great in the water with Andre's fix.
    Last edited by Kodiak; June 16th, 2015 at 12:39.

Obio

Saw his post on page one. I wonder whatever happened to him, he used to be so prolific here.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Does anyone know why the engines seem to be tied together in the model file? If you try to start engine 1 or 2 manually they both turn over together.

Being 2020 now, is there an updated version of the SA-16B for FSX these days ?

Quote Originally Posted by jymp View Post
    Being 2020 now, is there an updated version of the SA-16B for FSX these days ?
    Virtavia offers a payware FSX version of their Albatross.

Cheers,
    Huub