Comparison

Thread: Comparison

Comparison

My buddies and I have recently spent most of our time flying around mainland Italy and Sardinia, and especially Capo Frasca range testing out the new Sim Skunkworks Harrier weapons.

I was very pleasantly surprised to see how much better the area round Decimomannu LIED looked in P3D compared to FSX. Ok, the P3D built in shaders do their job beautifully, but it was great to see the improvement in ground textures that showed the local towns and autogen buildings that better reflected real world in my opinion.

Both screenshots are taken on todays date - FSX looks a tad barren...

Attachment 69347Attachment 69348

Thanks for looking :salute:

Dave.

Dave

Are you sure you have your pics labeled correctly. The screen shot labeled FSX looks better than the one labeled P3D......at least to my eyes. More autogen trees and buildings, sharper ground textures, much nicer sky and clouds.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    Dave

Are you sure you have your pics labeled correctly. The screen shot labeled FSX looks better than the one labeled P3D......at least to my eyes. More autogen trees and buildings, sharper ground textures, much nicer sky and clouds.

OBIO
    I might have thought the same thing, save that the right-hand screen shot is watermarked in the upper right corner as being an "Academic License"...

I honestly prefer the FSX version for its more vibrant colors!
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    Dave

OBIO
    I must be going cross eyed - I can see way more buildings [both as ground textures and autogen] in the distance and around the airfield in P3D than I can in FSX.

Personally, I prefer the deeper shades in P3D rather than the light sand colored areas in FSX, but that's just personal preference...

Sorry to just pick out this part of the world, but Deci and in fact Sardinia seem much improved in P3D. Just my opinion.

Attachment 69373Attachment 69374

Dave :salute:

Chapel Hill, NC and the Texas Hill Country
    I agree with Dave....FSX seems a little "washed out". I took a chance and added FScene to P3D and things reall popped !!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....

It's about learning

to dance in the rain.

Is that a true stock FSX though? Doesn't look it from my memory, remember those sickly caramel colored textures in remoter areas of the globe? Equally I don't like the cartoon blue sky of P3D, FsX's is superior there, at least in this example.
    Actually I've stopped using P3D, I got peeved with the ATC window and the going straight to a flight and its quirky ALT Enter thing not always working, could not see any great leap from FSX, maybe once they update it, which they promise soon.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Looking at the first pair of shots, Dave I can definately see more detail in the P3D shot.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    So long as it doesnt hop, blip, blink, turn pink, jitter, studder and turn black, its fine by me.
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    So long as it doesnt hop, blip, blink, turn pink, jitter, studder and turn black, its fine by me.
    I'm with Bill, I make my scenery in FSX and fly in P3D for the performance and smoothness. The colors are more vibrant. Example are the pictures I posted as a preview for Truk Lagoon. Big difference in the colors.

I have noticed there are some problems with some objects and their effects within P3D. An example is the runway oil fire barrels. They just don't work in P3D. The smoke stays suspended in mid air with no fire. Small problem, I just remove the runway barrels.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Members who have read this thread: 25