Train Simulator 2012
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Train Simulator 2012

Train Simulator 2012

For those of you that do not have and want to try it Steam has it on sale right now!

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/12399/

I paid retail for all of these when they first came out and this is a heck of a deal especially with the North East Corridor and Donner's Pass.
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

downloading now.....i live along donner....i suppose its colfax to truckee?

Outstanding....thank you, Mr. Davis!

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Gdavis101 View Post
    For those of you that do not have and want to try it Steam has it on sale right now!

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/12399/

I paid retail for all of these when they first came out and this is a heck of a deal especially with the North East Corridor and Donner's Pass.

Took a look at it and you're right. A good deal - 90 % off. Thanks for the Heads Up.

Unfortunately, they have two of the conditions that I refuse to accept.

One is you have to JOIN their community and download proprietary software in order to download the product.
    Good Grief, just give me a download link !!!

Second is you have to furnish a credit card. Hey, if you don't take PayPal, fuggedaboudit !! I've had a few credit
    cards numbers scammed in the past by poor security somewhere and I won't allow that anymore.

Too bad. Would have liked to buy. Perhaps they will use PC FlightSim Deal of the Day for 90% off.

GLH- I have never had any negative issues with Steam and I was reluctant at one time too and the one thing I do like about it is that if you have to reinstall you just download the Steam client and it installs anything and everything you have ever bought through them again.

Your welcome guys, enjoy! The Northeast Corridor is pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    Took a look at it and you're right. A good deal - 90 % off. Thanks for the Heads Up.

Unfortunately, they have two of the conditions that I refuse to accept.

One is you have to JOIN their community and download proprietary software in order to download the product.
    Good Grief, just give me a download link !!!

Second is you have to furnish a credit card. Hey, if you don't take PayPal, fuggedaboudit !! I've had a few credit
    cards numbers scammed in the past by poor security somewhere and I won't allow that anymore.

Too bad. Would have liked to buy. Perhaps they will use PC FlightSim Deal of the Day for 90% off.
    WRONG. They take PayPal. I know. I just used it to get this deal on TS2012.
    It's an option in the Payment Methods.

I've been a Steam user for almost a decade now, and have never had a problem.
    It's actually a great community unlike some others out there, X-Box Live for example. They moderate it very well.
    ANY game I buy I have access to, anywhere, because it is account based.

Couldn't tell you how many thousands of dollars I've saved on games over the years.
    They do great deals like this all the time.
    So far this month has been the craziest for deals, like this one for TS2012.
    I've been wanting TS2012 with the USA packs for some time, now I have no reason not to get it.

Thanks for the HU on this one, Mr. Davis!

EDIT: Sweet it comes with Steam 'Achievements' to shoot for as well.

Being a train guy as well as a plane guy, 90% off is an offer I almost can't refuse. But... I'm curious as to how TS2012 compares to Microsoft Train Simulator. A quick check at TrainSim.com showed waaaay more MSTS stuff available for download. Have folks constantly updated MSTS as has been the case with CFS2, or is it pretty much old tech at this point?

MSTS is way old tech. It's definitely worth the investment for Train Simulator. I've had it for two years now, and have not regretted the original purchase price. It's been updated and upgraded a couple of times now at no cost.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

I haven't stopped running it since I downloaded it this afternoon.
    Way more features than MSTS.
    Career mode as well.

$7.19USD for the base program and 3 addons?
    Heck thats cheaper than a run through the Fast Food window anymore.
    Really can't go to wrong at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    $7.19USD for the base program and 3 addons?
    Heck thats cheaper than a run through the Fast Food window anymore.
    Really can't go to wrong at that price.
    That's what I thought too! Downloading right now and I am glad I spotted this as there was only 2.5 hours left before the deal died when I bought it so if you want it then !!!!
    Larry

IMHO it is the best railroad sim out there - I picked it up and it is WAY MORE FUN than MSTS which I used only sporadically.

I can't put my finger on it because the graphics are not top-of-the-range although it has nice dynamic shadows for all objects including trees - but it just has atmosphere!

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha66 View Post
    IMHO it is the best railroad sim out there - I picked it up and it is WAY MORE FUN than MSTS which I used only sporadically.

I can't put my finger on it because the graphics are not top-of-the-range although it has nice dynamic shadows for all objects including trees - but it just has atmosphere!
    Yup. I like the 'little' things too. They can add a lot.
    Like the rain drops on the windshield. And how after it stops raining, the windshield slowly dries over time.
    Or how the cab of the engine bounces and rocks according to how the route is built and your speed.

90% ($7.19) deal is gone.
    However, Steam is still offering the same 'Haulin' USA' deal for 50% ($35.99)

i dont care for the controls,,i like MSTS better in the control stand ext,,,unless im doing something wrong,,,,,all i have is a strip across the bottom of my screen with a throttle,reverser and break,,,,bunch of buttons...i liked the whole control stand ect of msts myself

That strip is like a 2D panel in flight sim, you can hide it (press F4) and run the controls from the 'VC' too.
    Larry

is that what the "simple control" button does?..or check box in setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    is that what the "simple control" button does?..or check box in setup?
    Not quite, I believe the simple/expert button toggles the functions available in both the 2D panel and the VC. There's a lot more options/features in expert mode including shovelling coal as a fireman on steamers!

I've spent all day so far chuffing around in the various 'easy' scenarios just to get a feel for it but hit issues in one of them where I was stopped at a red light for 20 minutes before I finally quit and moved on to something else! The entire scenario should only have taken 35 minutes to play so I'm not sure what went on there. I ended up being switched to a track where there was another train stopped on the same line but heading in the opposite direction to me. Seems like the auto switching went whacky somewhere and put me on the wrong line.
    Larry

Simple control would be like using a model train set in the sim.. The 2d display will work in both, but it does allow for full control in expert mode as well.. The only exception to that is if you are using a another third party train that is "advanced" in design and requires control through the cab rather than the 2d panel. I own the Rail Driver controller and use it on most of the default and some third party trains but I am finding that as some of the engines become more advanced, like the Voyager Advanced from Just Trains, it will not work for controlling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    I was stopped at a red light for 20 minutes before I finally quit and moved on to something else
    Did you try pressing the 'Tab' key for permission to pass the red signal?
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Quote Originally Posted by paiken View Post
    Did you try pressing the 'Tab' key for permission to pass the red signal?
    No I didn't but online research led me to the answer and I just completed the Oxford to Paddington/Chasing Yellows scenario successfully.

Apparently a bug was introduced with SP1 that caused the problem. The solution is to leave the station immediately the sim starts, DO NOT pick up passengers and DO NOT wait until the designated departure time. Stick to the speed limits and you will pass through the trouble spot (about 1 mile out of Paddington) before the problem train comes the other way. Once you are through the problem points/switches it's smooth running all the way but still difficult to meet the deadlines so watch your speeds. I completed it successfully despite being two minutes late at the final station.
    Larry

and some people say the RTWR rules are too complex

at least I know how I can [LINESTRIKE]waste[/LINESTRIKE] spend my time this weekend

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

A little something I've been working on...Phoenix yard for BNSF.

i still cant get the VC to work...is it the power im using?..im tryinng the EMD SD40-2T from the Roseville yard,when i can get it to start inside the cab i get the advanced throttles,,,whatever its called,,i hit F4 as adviced,but i can seem to move my eyepoint around...ive printed all of the pages from the three PDF's i could find,will review them plus i turned donw my graphics..i had maxed everything out,,put it back where "the game" had set it..

Holding down the right mouse button and moving the mouse works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    Holding down the right mouse button and moving the mouse works for me.

oh fer............i never thought............read dave read......

thank you dain

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    oh fer............i never thought............read dave read......

thank you dain

That's okay, took me about an hour to figure it out. And I did it by mistake. LOL.

Anyone know how to add stock? I can't seem to get the manager to recognize a couple things I downloaded,( unless I just have the wrong version... )
    Like to add some old green BN SD-40's I found.