FSX S2F3 Stoof update - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FSX S2F3 Stoof update

This looks great to me. Going to try the new FDE and contact point updates, but I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else thinks of it.

As for the shadows, I know what you mean about FSX doing "weird" things. Look at the strakes on the F/A-18 in different light and angles and the shadows will make it look like they aren't attached to the fuselage. But that happens and this Stoof is so much fun to fly I think everyone is going to love it.

Thanks for all the work you guys have done on it, because as much as I enjoy the port overs I think I'm stuck in this one for a while.

Nice pic Bruce.

She seems to be good to go for release. Just awaiting the latest docs from you, Milton. (according to George) Once we've got 'em, I'll build the installer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughes-MDflyer4 View Post
    She seems to be good to go for release. Just awaiting the latest docs from you, Milton. (according to George) Once we've got 'em, I'll build the installer.
    Ah, my apologies. I had in my mind that I would do that once I received teh package (DUH!) LOL but the fact that you were doing the installer just did not sink in. Will knock that out and have it early Tuesday morning.

EDIT: Attaching updated text documents in next post. Modify as you wish to properly credit your work.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Updated Text Documents to Replace Existing

Here are the text documents for the Documentation folder. Replace the 3 current ones.

Modify as you wish to correct or supplement what I have stated.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

No worries, Milton. Just wanted to make sure that people still had documentation to read somewhere, even after installation. (probably will be placed in the S2F3 aircraft folder...not really a better place!) Thanks! I'll get the installer built shortly. :salute:

Alright, Milton...the installer is created and all zipped up. Should I upload it, or would you prefer me send it your way for that? If you want me to upload it, what places are OK with you? (I take it the usual are fine, Simviation, AVSIM, FlightSim)

Quote Originally Posted by Hughes-MDflyer4 View Post
    Alright, Milton...the installer is created and all zipped up. Should I upload it, or would you prefer me send it your way for that? If you want me to upload it, what places are OK with you? (I take it the usual are fine, Simviation, AVSIM, FlightSim)
    Of course, you may upload it as you wish. I usually do SOH first, then the others later to give SOH first pop at it, but use your discretion as sometimes SOH uploads take a while to show with all the library activity.

I would also like you to make the description prominent to include:

FSX Native and "Conversion by The Eagle Rotorcraft Simulations Team by Permission" or words of your choosing.

Thank you :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Of course, you may upload it as you wish. I usually do SOH first, then the others later to give SOH first pop at it, but use your discretion as sometimes SOH uploads take a while to show with all the library activity.

I would also like you to make the description prominent to include:

FSX Native and "Conversion by The Eagle Rotorcraft Simulations Team by Permission" or words of your choosing.

Thank you :-)
    Thanks Milton! I'll get it uploaded soon.

She has been uploaded to all major sites...just waiting approval. (not sure if the one at SimV went through...will upload again if it doesn't get approved within a few weeks)

Hello,

I'm very late to the Tracker party, but with Melbourne in FSX I had to get he Stoof myself. Is there any paintkit for the FSX version available? As far as I can see so is the FS9 and FSX textures different.
    Have any Canadian repaints been released?

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Blog Entries
    Since Uncle Milton's website is unavailable, give me time to upload the neccessary files.

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

Thank you!

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Are the air tanker (CDF) versions being converted as well?

Good evening everyone,
    would one of the talented SOH repainters be interested in doing the colourful "Legacy Flight museum" grumman tracker repaint as can be seen here:

http://mwithakaviation.blogspot.com/...e-rexburg.html

Best regards,

Stéph.

I don't know how talented I am, but I just saw a pic of that one last night I was thinking of doing it. ]

TACPAC Version

If any of you are interested and have TACPAC I collaborated with Corrado5834 from FSDeveloper and we released a TACPAC version with working bombs and rockets including an armament wizard with Milton's and Euro350's permissions. It can be found here but you must have a working copy of TACPAC. Since it uses their model all the textures are compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    I don't know how talented I am, but I just saw a pic of that one last night I was thinking of doing it. ]
    Hi FlyingsCool,
    I'd be delighted if you were to do this!!!
    Cheers,

Stéph.

Which model would you like me to use?

The plane in question is an SF2-1 with the radome on top and underneath removed and the capped engine nacelle's

The S2F-1 model has the top (and bottom) radome and the new model S2F-1 Engine nacelles (with a nose)
    the S2F-3 has the chopped tall Engine nacelles and rounded wingtips
    The FS2004 US-2A model is the closest, it's got the bombays, No Cargo door and the right engine nacelles. But I don't think an FSX Native model has been created for it yet, and the glass is really dark on the outside. I could attempt to upgrade the textures and see if that helps.
    The C-1A Trader is probably the closest, it doesn't have the top radome and it's got the correct engine nacelles. But it's got the cargo doors on the side and windows for passengers and no radome slot underneath or bomb bay doors.

Edit: I was able to upgrade the texture for correct appearance in the US-2A model. I'm not sure what other issues there are with that model given it's not a "Native" FSX model, but it looks good and is closest in configuration to N8115M
    Last edited by FlyingsCool; February 24th, 2019 at 10:31.

N8115M Coming along

So I've got all the major stuff done, now I need to color all the little bits appropriately.

S2F-1 N8115M from the Legacy of Flight Museum at KRXE Rexburg Municipal Airport, Rexburg, Idaho

Hi FlyingsCool,
    that's great news!!!!
    Looking forward to it...
    Cheers,

Stéph.

Outside Glass DArk

Which model would you like me to use?

The plane in question is an SF2-1 with the radome on top and underneath removed and the capped engine nacelle's

The S2F-1 model has the top (and bottom) radome and the new model S2F-1 Engine nacelles (with a nose)
    the S2F-3 has the chopped tall Engine nacelles and rounded wingtips
    The FS2004 US-2A model is the closest, it's got the bombays, No Cargo door and the right engine nacelles. But I don't think an FSX Native model has been created for it yet, and the glass is really dark on the outside. I could attempt to upgrade the textures and see if that helps.
    The C-1A Trader is probably the closest, it doesn't have the top radome and it's got the correct engine nacelles. But it's got the cargo doors on the side and windows for passengers and no radome slot underneath or bomb bay doors.

Edit: I was able to upgrade the texture for correct appearance in the US-2A model. I'm not sure what other issues there are with that model given it's not a "Native" FSX model, but it looks good and is closest in configuration to N8115M
    I did some repaints of the US-2A here. I actually found the model at AVSIM I believe by accident. I found that if you copy the "glass" textures from an FSX native STOOF or C1A that it lightens it up to how it should appear. At least it did for me. Worth trying for you.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I did some repaints of the US-2A here. I actually found the model at AVSIM I believe by accident. I found that if you copy the "glass" textures from an FSX native STOOF or C1A that it lightens it up to how it should appear. At least it did for me. Worth trying for you.
    Yep, I've already released one texture set for that model, with the exception:

There's a major problem with the texture mapping of the right engine nacelle in the US-2A model. It is (mostly) fixed in the US-2B model found here on SOH (link in my recent TS-2A texture upload description). I say mostly fixed because there's still a bit of double use of the texture across two surfaces, but at least it looks ok in the textures I've been creating for it. As long as you don't put any text in the offending area you don't see a doubling of the text and a line across the offending area still seems to look ok.

I'm just about done with N8115M on the US-2B model. I'm just trying to figure out how to add an appropriate glossy sheen to it.
    I'm starting to learn how to upgrade models to FSX, but I've got a ways to go.

So far my attempts to upgrade it to use _spec and _bump textures using ModelConverterX aren't working because it screws up the animations in the re-saved version of the model (a known problem). Otherwise I don't know how to (re)map texture file use to add these features.

I'd also like to fix the mapping of the antennas on top of the wing, as they are pointing to the same portion of the miscparts2 texture as a red placard in the cockpit, so I can't change their color without affecting the most important part of the airplane (the cockpit).

Given Mr. Shupe released the S2F-1 model to the public domain, if I can figure out all the things I need to do, I may ask his permission to create an FSX TS-2A model from it in the future, as there's a bunch of cool paintjobs out there for it (and I'm obsessed with naval flight training at the moment ).

love this plane too

Yep, I've already released one texture set for that model, with the exception:

There's a major problem with the texture mapping of the right engine nacelle in the US-2A model. It is (mostly) fixed in the US-2B model found here on SOH (link in my recent TS-2A texture upload description). I say mostly fixed because there's still a bit of double use of the texture across two surfaces, but at least it looks ok in the textures I've been creating for it. As long as you don't put any text in the offending area you don't see a doubling of the text and a line across the offending area still seems to look ok.

I'm just about done with N8115M on the US-2B model. I'm just trying to figure out how to add an appropriate glossy sheen to it.
    I'm starting to learn how to upgrade models to FSX, but I've got a ways to go.

So far my attempts to upgrade it to use _spec and _bump textures using ModelConverterX aren't working because it screws up the animations in the re-saved version of the model (a known problem). Otherwise I don't know how to (re)map texture file use to add these features.

I'd also like to fix the mapping of the antennas on top of the wing, as they are pointing to the same portion of the miscparts2 texture as a red placard in the cockpit, so I can't change their color without affecting the most important part of the airplane (the cockpit).

Given Mr. Shupe released the S2F-1 model to the public domain, if I can figure out all the things I need to do, I may ask his permission to create an FSX TS-2A model from it in the future, as there's a bunch of cool paintjobs out there for it (and I'm obsessed with naval flight training at the moment ).
    will continue to monitor your progress.

N8115M has been uploaded

I just uploaded S2F-1 N8115M, originally owned by the late Merle Maine, now owned and operated by the Legacy Flight Museum at KRXE Rexburg Municipal Airport in Rexburg, Idaho. It should be available soon for download in the Civilian Prop and Military Cold War Prop skin sections. There's an AFX for KRXE available at Flightsim.com and Avsim if you're interested, though it's quite out of date and doesn't even have the Museum hangar in it. Maybe I'll update it at some point.

Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to make it glossy (the alpha channel controls transparency, and the model doesn't yet support _spec and _bump textures), but it looks good...

Enjoy!

I gotta say, I love flying this plane, it's just such a fun plane to cruise around in. Just spent a couple hours cruising around the Orbx NoCal scenery from Redding east to the coast and down to SF and back over to Nut tree in Vacaville. Very nice. I also think it's got the best looking pilot figures I've seen in any plane. I really like having the co-pilot next to me in the US-2B model like it is. Too bad you can't turn on the co-pilot in VC view in the other versions of the plane. But I'm happy, such a fun plane. Thanks to everyone who's worked on it.