UPLOADED: Swingman Grumman Ducks V2

Thread: UPLOADED: Swingman Grumman Ducks V2

UPLOADED: Swingman Grumman Ducks V2

I just uploaded two packages to the FS9 Aircraft library. These packages are the tweaked versions (V2 as I am calling them) of Swingman's Grumman J2F5 and J2F6 Ducks. Swingman sent me his original Gmax source codes so that I could pass them on to a more experienced flight sim modeler for tweaking.....and I passed those files on to Full...who gave the plane real prop blur discs and tweaked the texture mapping so that the wings and tail surfaces are no longer mirrored. The packages include wide screen and non-wide screen 2D panels by Wild Bill Kelso (included with his permission). Each package contains two aircraft.cfg files....one using the default stock lights and one using Shockwave Lights. I deshined the tweaked MDL files to a nice gloss instead of a hard shine and then tweaked the MDL files for reflectivity.

The effects I used are from one or more of Bill Lyon's freeware planes packages....if you have Bill's wonderful planes installed then you are good to go. If not....do yourself a favor and go over to Flightsim.com and download them all and install them.....Bill Lyon's was a freaking genius who did amazing things with flight sim animations and effects.

Thanks to Swingman, Full, Will Bill Kelso for all of their creative talent.

OBIO

PS: When I have time, I will be creating a new paint kit for the Grumman Ducks with wire frame views of all the parts, all parts labeled, layered panel lines, rivets and all that jazz......don't expect it real soon....6-day work weeks kind of kill my sim hobby time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OBIO, I've been looking forward to your update packages. Thanks for putting this together. And thanks to all who contributed their efforts and expertise.

Yeah, thanks, OBIO. I know you said you had them nearly ready last year, and was hoping to finally see them. Downloading now. Thanks.

Oh wow, love the addition of the landing light to the F5! And lovely flight model too.

Pat

Excellent work!!!

Thanks Obio, Swingman, Full and Wild Bill Kelso. :salute:

Noticed the turn and bank gauge in the 2D panel had slipped down out of place. Here is a tweak that will get her back to the right spot.

[Window00]
    file=main43.bmp
    file_1024=main43.bmp
    size_mm=1400,1050
    window_size_ratio=1.000
    position=6
    visible=1
    ident=MAIN_PANEL
    window_size= 1.000, 1.000
    window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

gauge00=DuckJ2F!turn_and_bank, 644,884,116,116

Change to:

gauge00=DuckJ2F!turn_and_bank, 647,856,116,116

Also, George Csillag recorded the engine sounds from Murphy's War into this package at Flightsim: duck_fs9.zip. It really makes it a lot of fun hearing those familiar sounds.

The flight models in the J2F5 and J2F6...well, they are as good as I could make them. I am not a FDE guy....but I get lucky from time to time in tweaking them. The biggest issue with the stock FDE sets as supplied by Swingman was that the planes had horrible behavior on the water. Luckily, I am a HUGE fan of float planes and have done a lot of work with them...so I was pretty easily able to get the planes to behave well on the water. I had some input and suggestions from a number of the SOH members that proved quite useful in getting the Ducks to behave well on land and in the air. I wish I could remember all the members who gave tips and suggestions...they deserve an equal share in the credit for the flight modeling.

Also, I can't recall who did up the Shockwave Lights tweaks....I should remember as he posts Shockwave Light tweaks for virtually every new plane package that comes down the sidewalk.....and for older packages as well. It starts with an A I think....astroroth or something like that...Astoroth? Gawd, my aging brain needs an oil change and some new spark plugs I think.

I am really happy to have these V2 versions of Swingman's Ducks finally uploaded and into the hands of the simming public. These are exceptionally well done models, with superb animations, wonderful details, very accurate to the real Duck.

I will work on a layered paint kit for the planes as time allows.....and will upload the paint kit, complete with wire frame views of all the parts, as soon as I get it done.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great job, OBIO (and Swingman).

I do have one question. Is there a simple way to convert (update) textures to the V2 models?

There is one J2F6 texture by Mike Delizee for the Aeronavale in Indochine that I would like to convert to the new models (look for grduk.zip on Flightsim) if possible.

Thanks
    :ernae:
    --WH

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Great job, OBIO (and Swingman).

I do have one question. Is there a simple way to convert (update) textures to the V2 models?

There is one J2F6 texture by Mike Delizee for the Aeronavale in Indochine that I would like to convert to the new models (look for grduk.zip on Flightsim) if possible.

Thanks
    --WH
    WH

I have the package down loading now...will take a look see and see what I can do to get the package to work on the V2 Duck.....and then will give a step by step how to.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Okay...I'm back.

Here's what ya got to do to get the French skin to work on the V2 Duck.

Copy the WT.bmp and paste 3 copies of it into the texture folder....and rename them Wt1.bmp, WT2.bmp and WT3.bmp.

Copy and paste the stb.bmp and rename the new copy stb1.bmp.

Copy and paste the Tail.bmp and rename the new copy tail1.bmp.

Go into one of the original texture packs and copy the prop.bmp into the texture.france folder.

The config file entry you need is this (change the XX to what ever number comes next in your config file...most likely 3):

[fltsim.xx]
    title=J2F6 Ducks France
    sim=J2F
    model=2
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=France
    kb_checklists=
    kb_reference=
    ui_manufacturer=Grumman
    ui_type=J2F6 Duck
    ui_variation=France
    description=Aéronavale Française en Indochine.
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_airline=FRENCH NAVY
    atc_flight_number=33594
    atc_id=8s7
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Got it. Worked like a charm.

Thanks, OBIO
    --WH

If I want to use this without Bill Lyon's aircraft installed what do I need to change to get it back to stock FSX effects? I am downloading now but would like to convert it for use as a standalone aircraft not relying on anything else.

Thanks for uploading it. I am doing a fresh install of FS2004 soon and it will be part of my new lean installation.

Regards MarkL

Members who have read this thread: 53