SB2U Vindicator - Torpedo's

Thread: SB2U Vindicator - Torpedo's

SB2U Vindicator - Torpedo's

I have read some articles calling the Vindicator's torpedo bombers but I can't find any evidence that these ever did carry torpedo's. Anyone have any solid history on these?

I don't know about it, but there were reports of the Germans capturing some after France capitulated....

Not in the Pacific

Quote Originally Posted by lewis11777 View Post
    I have read some articles calling the Vindicator's torpedo bombers but I can't find any evidence that these ever did carry torpedo's. Anyone have any solid history on these?
    As you can read here: only bombing attacks are recorded: http://www.microworks.net/pacific/av...vindicator.htm

Remco C

From the info I have the Vindacator carried a MAX load of 1000lbs,that means a torpedo would be to heavy for it to carry.It would normally carry 1 x 1000lb bomb or 1 x 500lb bomb,

Talon

Quote Originally Posted by Talon View Post
    From the info I have the Vindacator carried a MAX load of 1000lbs,that means a torpedo would be to heavy for it to carry.It would normally carry 1 x 1000lb bomb or 1 x 500lb bomb,
    Talon
    Thanks guys, pretty much sums up what I have read.

The Royal Navy did believe briefly that the Chesapeake was a torpedo-bomber, but only briefly. For once, reality asserted itself before the Admiralty got anybody killed trying to find out the hard way. In fact, reality asserted itself so effectively that as far as I can tell, it was never deployed operationally on any ship for any reason. Given that the Fleet Air Arm was still using the Stringbag, that is eloquent in itself.

I wonder if they asked for their money back. So much of the American kit on offer early in the war turned out to be somewhat under par compared to the advertising.

The Chesapeake, Mohawk, Caribou, Lightning, Fortress and Thunderbolt were all rejected by the RAF in one way or another, partially or completely. Interestingly though, the Vengeance and the Martin light bombers which were refused by the USAAF, won themselves a decent reputation in the Middle and Far East with the RAF and RAAF...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Members who have read this thread: 25