Hurricane Hunters

Thread: Hurricane Hunters

Hurricane Hunters

Anybody else watching this show on the Weather Channel? It’s not too bad. Not nearly as much fun watching as Ice Pilots and Flying Wild Alaska, but ok. I haven’t been keeping up with C-130 upgrades, but have you seen these WC-130Js? Wow. All glass cockpits with giant flat screen TVs and such. They look very similar to the displays in the CH-47F, and the soon-to-be Canadian CH-147. And six-bladed props. Very cool.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Taco and I were flying on the SOH server a week or so ago and had some foo-fighter yahoo come on there and proceed to tell us all about Hurricane Hunting in FS and how it's done. Said if we didn't use a C-130, we couldn't do it. I seem to remember reading that one of the first USAF flights into a hurricane was in a T-6 Texan back in the late 40s. And I know that the Navy has used PB4Y-2 Privateers and Lockheed Constellations (Got a Connie hurricane hunter in the FS Hanger). Just thought it was amusing the way that guy was very vocal about the whole thing.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

I caught an episode the other night and liked it. Would not want to be aboard a C-130 near the eye of a hurricane!

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Taco and I were flying on the SOH server a week or so ago and had some foo-fighter yahoo come on there and proceed to tell us all about Hurricane Hunting in FS and how it's done. Said if we didn't use a C-130, we couldn't do it....
    Hmmm. Oh really?
    Well then I guess the WP-3D Orion and Gulfstream IV aircraft that NOAA uses for Hurricane hunting are just for show then according to this "expert"?

I like the show too by the way, along with "Coast Guard Alaska".

Hunting Hurricane 'Emily' in a WP-3D Orion...

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1tR6X2Pwu2I?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

I keep missing it............
    Visit my website www.scale-aviation.com

Members who have read this thread: 35