New computer desk!

Thread: New computer desk!

New computer desk!

After 7 years of service, it was time to replace my old computer desk. It was BIG! And all the surface area simply invited STUFF! My desk was always the eye-sore in our home. Deb ordered me a new desk...smaller...but way cooler and much more manly. I like it!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr

I have my actual tower setting on a couple of black milk crates to the side of the desk.....the tower is too big and heavy to set on that little shelf under the desk (the tower weighs 22 pounds empty....around 40 to 45 pounds loaded). The milk crates raise the tower farther up away from the floor and allow a lot more air to circulate under the tower.....and I get to use that little shelf thingie as a foot rest!!!!

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired SOH Administrator

Icon5

I am so happy to hear from you, man!

I am excited about your new desk as well! (I know you did not make it from scratch! - but those are the BEST kinds!)

Chacha

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    all the surface area simply invited STUFF! My desk was always the eye-sore in our home.
    i suspect that would apply to 99% of us in here

your new desk is awesome! but how do you attach your yoke and throttles?

heres my mess...nice setup obio,but id break my shins....

Raising the Tower off the floor is just smart advice. I have always done so and last year I was so grateful I had, we had a flood in the basement - dopey here had forgotten cover and insulate the outside garden faucets through the preceding winter, of course when I went to use them again come the spring, you can guess what happened. The whole basement was under about 1.5 inches of water which would have ruined the PC.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

My tower is now actually closer to the floor than it was with the old desk set up. I used to have it sitting on top of the printer stand.....which was about 29 inches tall. Now it is sitting on milk crates, which have the tower only about a foot off the floor. I like the openess of the crates...but really want my tower at least 18 inches off the floor. We keep our house clean....but with two dogs running around....dog hair is an ever present thing.

OBIO

Oh....how do I attach my yoke and throttles? Don't have any. I use a joystick with a twistable stick for rudder input. No way in the world I'd be allowed to shell out the bucks for a full flight control system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i used a twist stick too, for years. i kept it on a bar stool next to my chair. i wasn't allowed to work when i came to canadia, so $$ was a real issue for us. anyhow, i just wanted to tell you that craig's list or kijiji could get you a real nice set up on the cheap, if you are patient. i bought a ch products yoke and pedals that way. i paid $100 for both of them, but probably could have talked them down another $20. i've seen hotas set ups for the same price. i get control that i never had before, especially when taxiing. maybe you already knew this, but just in case, there's an option for you.

cheezy

I was actually given a HOTAS Cougar flight stick and throttle set some years back. The owner of a local pizza shop had given up on Microsoft Flight Sim after his bad experiences with FSX. That stick sat in my closet, waiting for the time when I had the funds to buy a set of foot pedals to go with it. I looked and looked, but never found a set of foot pedals I could afford without skimping on rent. I did not want the set just sitting around and going to waste, so I sold them to an SOH member. Hopefully they are being used as they should be.

I have been using the Saitek ST290 Pro for a number of years now and am used to it. I don't feel that I am missing out on a thing due to not having a full set of controllers.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    After 7 years of service, it was time to replace my old computer desk. It was BIG! And all the surface area simply invited STUFF! My desk was always the eye-sore in our home. Deb ordered me a new desk...smaller...but way cooler and much more manly. I like it!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr

I have my actual tower setting on a couple of black milk crates to the side of the desk.....the tower is too big and heavy to set on that little shelf under the desk (the tower weighs 22 pounds empty....around 40 to 45 pounds loaded). The milk crates raise the tower farther up away from the floor and allow a lot more air to circulate under the tower.....and I get to use that little shelf thingie as a foot rest!!!!

OBIO
    Nice, OBIO! Similar to my new one, only I've got an L-shape with 2 desktop areas. I use one PC for gaming and the other for internet, music, film, 3D art etc. When
    we moved from TX to IL 12 years ago, I bought a great U-shaped workstation that fit perfectly in the huge area that was my home office. It took me and my son
    3 days to put it together. Hated to see it go, but when we moved back to TX this year, my new home-office wouldn't hold it so I got one that was a bit smaller but
    still could hold two monitors.

Good idea on the milk crate monitor stand! I had to move my PC off of the workstation desktop (glass tops and like you they weigh-in heavy) to the floor. I'll have to dispatch
    the wife to Walmart and retrieve some.

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

I've been using the same O'Sullivan (particle board) desk and hutch set for 24 years now. I've had to reinforce some spots as numerous moves have taken their toll, but it still works for me.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.