Need some input about this sim.

Thread: Need some input about this sim.

Need some input about this sim.

I have thought much about purchasing this sim, but just keep thinking its another FSX. So if some nice folks would answer some question for me.

Is this FSX fixed or a different sim all together.
    Whats better than this than FSX.
    Are there any planes that come with it. I have heard that FSX planes will work with it.
    In the store it has a $49.95 and a $199 version. Whats the diffrence.
    Are the prices a one time fee or is there monthly fees.

I suppose what I;m really interested in is this sim worth the money or just stick with FSX.
    Any other info would be great.

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Quote Originally Posted by XLR8 View Post
    I have thought much about purchasing this sim, but just keep thinking its another FSX. So if some nice folks would answer some question for me.

Are there any planes that come with it. I have heard that FSX planes will work with it.

I suppose what I;m really interested in is this sim worth the money or just stick with FSX.
    Any other info would be great.
    Hey XLR8,

I'll answer these in order.

Basically, it 'was' FSX, the ESP version. They have revamped the ESP (FSX) platform 3 times now; Build 1.3

Some improvements to ground terrain. You can run ground terrain at 4096 sized textures now. The platform is more stable. New Shaders are installed.
    There is 'no' active weather. You have the usual weather selection center, but no active weather. However, some addon weather programs work fine with it.
    There is 'no' start screen. You boot up into a flight, and setup there.
    You can run ORBX and other scenery in it fine. Same with FSX planes.

Yes. The Maule, the early Mooney Bravo, the Beech Baron, Beech Kingair, some vintage planes such as the Constellation and P-38. The package runs FS9 and FSX planes fine. The FS9 planes will have the same issues as FSX has.

One is for students. Essentially the same sim. The Dev version supposedly has some extra bits for developers use, but no toys and things.

One Time, yes, on the $49.95 and $199.95. The Dev version, $9.95 is monthly, auto-charged on the plastic.

If your FSX runs fine, you could stay with that. If you have glitches still from FSX, like flashing clouds, runways, vibrating planes, etc, etc, then you might try out P3D. I did and I havent gone back to FSX. My rig couldnt run it. It runs P3D fine.

Now, having said all of that, some people have had issues with the Build 1.3 version, which uses new shaders. I think some graphics cards have issues running it. Several people have been given refunds as their units couldnt run it like FSX. So, if you try it, and it doesnt run right, you can get a refund.

I for one am most happy with it. For me, its 10X better then FSX.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Thank you very nuch for the info. I was watching some youtube videos thinking that terrain looks great, but found out later that there were addons used for that look. The reason I have stayed with FSX from other sims (lockon,IL2 ect) are because of the large amounts of diffrent planes that can be flown. FSX runs great on my rig after the video card upgrade ( highest setting,AA,1920x1080). The money back thing is pretty good. Wish some FSX Devs. would do this.

After the purchase can it be backed on a disk (CD/DVD,flash drive) for reinstall say after a complete OS install. Or is there a re-download

So all one would need is the $49.95 program to use like FSX.

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Quote Originally Posted by XLR8 View Post

After the purchase can it be backed on a disk (CD/DVD,flash drive) for reinstall say after a complete OS install. Or is there a re-download

So all one would need is the $49.95 program to use like FSX.
    Yes, you can backup the package to CD's, its about 10 Gigs if I remember correctly, downloaded in 3 packets.

The sim requires going online to register, just like FSX. If the data base says you had decided to get a refund then the sim will be unable to run. It might have a demo mode built into it, I dont know.

They say that alot of the terrain tile textures were redone. When I went flying around in Alaska, it was REALLY nice! I was totally impressed.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write