Alphasim/Virtavia B-2 Spirit now freeware!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alphasim/Virtavia B-2 Spirit now freeware!

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar

Alphasim/Virtavia B-2 Spirit now freeware!

Head over to http://www.easyfly.co.nz/Freeware/index.php?dir=/USA to download your copy!

Full panel, but no soundset included though.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Thanks - just downloaded it! Maybe use any large turbofan from a modern airliner until a custom-made sound file is available?

Thanks, Virtavia!! :salute: :mixedsmi:.... Actually, I purchased the B-2 from Alphasim a few years back, but it was a nice jesture on their part to make it a freebie.

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    Maybe use any large turbofan from a modern airliner until a custom-made sound file is available?
    I bought it when it was released so I have the sounds that originally came with it. The real thing uses four engines similar to F-15/F-16 engines but without afterburner so they do not sound like airliners.

This is still one of my favourite classic Alphasim aircraft!:

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Thank you Virtavia!!

Awesome news! Any repaints out there for it, I've searched the usual sites .... Mike :salute:

I guess all the paint schemes are already included (Both of them!) and any difference between the aircraft is the name and number.. No paintkit either!

I had the B2 up for a quick spin. Looks odd in gray...all the pics I have seen of the B2 show it as near black. So, I started a paint kit for the bird. Got the panel lines done for the outer tip of the upper left wing done....and a quick near black coverage. No markings or such. Time for a post work shower then to bed......at this rate I might get the B2 repainted in near black sometime around March 23, 2015.

OBIO

PS....that one little part of the plane that is now near black looks darn good!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

all depends on the Lighting Obio, it's the RAM coating.... sometimes it appears bluish grey:

Attachment 67116

sometimes darker:

Attachment 67117

Matt is right.The many times I have seen them the lighting does some nice color tricks.I have never seen one pure black like a F-117 or SR-71.And the sound,the most unstealthy thing about the B-2.

Found a sound pack over on Flightsim.com by Mike Hambly. ba_b2.zip is the name of the file. Recorded off a real B2 at an airshow. And we all know the quality of Mike's sound packs.

And after doing my post about the black B2...I did an image search for the plane.....and found just a few where the plane looks black....and those were in hangars and poorly lit...which is what all the photos I have seen before were. Still going to do up a black B2....looks so menacing.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think it would be cool if someone did a repaint with the panel lines subdued a bit. They seem kinda vivid to me, especially after seeing Matt's pics.

BTW welcome back OBIO, it's good news for all of us that you have reconsidered your retirement from FS tweeking.

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    Still going to do up a black B2....looks so menacing.

OBIO
    I think a "near black" scheme would look WICKED DEADLY on the B2. I agree about the panel lines... a bit too prominant for me. I really like the finish on the Alphasim SR71-A, It looks black, but it's really a very, very dark grey.

I haven't really retired from my retirement. With a 6-day work week and tons of stuff to do around the house on my one day off....I still have very little time for sim work. I will be able to squeeze in an hour a day maybe for flying and tweaking. Wish I had more time for simming...but that's life. In 25 or 30 years, once I retire from the work-a-day world....will have plenty of time for FS9 then.....just hope whatever computers they have at that time will still run FS9.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm pleased to report it works well as a port-over to FSX. I haven't found any zits so far and have looked in most of the nooks and cranies for display problems. I am using a F-15 sound file at the moment but will try Mike Hamby's when I get a chance.

Best, Paul

Attachment 67154

Got this as payware. The original sounds are typical AlphaSim, so I'm going to try Mike Hambly's.

Would be nice to have some more textures. Looking forward to OBIO's scheme.

Seems that the lights need some changes to Shockwave lights. I should think there would be a red beacon light, but don't see it in the cfg.
    :ernae:
    --WH

Just got the markings applied to the upper outer left wing....though the US insignia needs replaced.....I have a good one on hand, but for a quickie I just used the magic lasso to select the insignia and set it on a new layer and just paint filled the lasso. Here's a couple screenies to show what the B2 will look like in Johnny Cash mode.

Will get a couple more texture sheets worked up tonight, if possible. 1 sheet down, 60 sheets to go. Will take some time to get this bird under new paint.

OBIO

Attachment 67171

Attachment 67172
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Right outer upper wing turned out to be a mirrored version of the left outer upper wing...all I needed to do was redo the stencil text in reverse. Hopefully this bird has a lot of this right part is a reversed left part texture sheet stuff...that way I only need to create 30 texture templates and then modify them to fit the other side of the plane.....a huge time saver right there.

Attachment 67176
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Two more shots. A bit more progress. Got the bomb bay doors done...though I think I need to make some adjustments. Got the panel lines for the left inner wing and fuselage area pretty much done.....a bit more to go. Then all the detail work. Looking good in near black!

Attachment 67178

Attachment 67179

3 AM. Time to go to bed. Luckily I don't have to leave for work until 3 PM, so I still have time for a full night's sleep.

OBIO

PS: When I did the updating and tweaking to the freeware FSD T-38, I did up one of the flight school schemes: black overall with the red/orange markings. I think I am going to slap that color scheme onto the B-2 just for the poops and hee haws of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

the B-2 is pretty odd, from what i can make out theres a white position light in the upperside and underside of each wing just inboard of the nav lights as well as one at the middle 'tooth', strobes seem to be in usual location (inboard with the white pos. just aft of Wingtip Nav Lights), Taxi light on nose gear and landing lights on each of the mains (it seems)... no sign of the rotating beacon light....

looking good buddy! hope you share that kit when it's done, i love prowling around with the 'Spirit'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=godifMGvf6c&

Anime Adoring Aviator

Darker Spirit

Hi, someone has already had a go at making darker textures. I found 1 repaint made in 2010:
    http://simviation.com/1/search?submi...darker&x=0&y=0

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wynn View Post
    the B-2 is pretty odd, from what i can make out theres a white position light in the upperside and underside of each wing just inboard of the nav lights as well as one at the middle 'tooth', strobes seem to be in usual location (inboard with the white pos. just aft of Wingtip Nav Lights), Taxi light on nose gear and landing lights on each of the mains (it seems)... no sign of the rotating beacon light....
    Yep, that's what I figured...

Here is what I put together late last night. Might need a few tweaks.
    [lights]
    //Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing, 6=taxi, 7=recognition, 8=wing, 9=Logo
    light.0 = 3, -24.794, -77.566, 0.587, fx_navredm ,
    light.1 = 3, -24.794, 77.566, 0.587, fx_navgrem ,
    light.2 = 1, -24.794, -77.566, 0.587, fx_shockwave_strobe_sm ,
    light.3 = 1, -24.794, 77.566, 0.587, fx_shockwave_strobe_sm_3 ,

light.4 = 3, 13.142, 0.00, 7.489, fx_navwhih ,
    light.5 = 4, 00.00, 21.924, -0.78, fx_vclighth ,
    light.6 = 4, 00.00, -21.924, -0.78, fx_vclighth ,
    light.7 = 4, 23.00, 00.00, -0.78, fx_vclighth ,
    light.7 = 4, 17.133, -5.761, -3.366, fx_vclighth ,
    light.8 = 4, 21.938, 00.00, 4.708, fx_vclighth ,

light.10 = 3, -24.794, 77.566, -0.85, fx_navgrem ,
    light.11 = 3, -24.794, -77.566, -0.85, fx_navredm ,

light.12 = 1, -24.794, 77.566, -0.85, fx_shockwave_strobe_sm_2 ,
    light.13 = 1, -24.794, -77.566, -0.85, fx_shockwave_strobe_sm ,

light.14 = 5, 32, -1, -6.7, fx_shockwave_landing_light
    light.15 = 5, -2, -20.3, -5.4, fx_shockwave_landing_light_double
    light.16 = 5, -2, 20.3, -5.4, fx_shockwave_landing_light_double

...and you will need the usual entry for landing lights in the panel.cfg.
    :ernae:
    --WH

I now have the upper part of the B-2 pretty well covered in near black stealth coating. Have to redo the walkway outlines on the out wing parts, and have to do all the detail stenciling on the inner wing/fuselage area, and have to recoat the control surface parts. But the bird is looking quite sinister in near black. Some screenies. Daytime on the tarmac, dusk just after lift off, and night cruising for altitude.

Attachment 67264

Attachment 67265

Attachment 67266

Will continue to chip away at this bird until I have the paint kit done.

Oh...the B-2 sounds by Mike Hambly that I mentioned in a previous post....they ROCK!

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I really like the dark grey/black paint on the model, OBIO... Looks very convincing and also, like it belongs there. :salute:

Thought I might check in on the progress of the OBIO's repaint, and bump up this thread.

--WH

Members who have read this thread: 147